Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

We eat veggie three or four days a week, and I actually prefer veggie alternatives to meat now, like lasagne with loads of lentils, chick peas and kidney beans. .. yum. Snacking could be your answer though, I love pickles and cheese, or you could have carrot sticks with chicken, turkey or a boiled egg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I generally find breakfast the most challenging, there are only so many eggs I can eat! I tried a scoop of vanilla protein powder in my porridge and found it way more filling than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Dolbert wrote: »
    I generally find breakfast the most challenging, there are only so many eggs I can eat! I tried a scoop of vanilla protein powder in my porridge and found it way more filling than usual.

I hate eggs so I would love to hear other tips on adding protein to breakfast.

At the moment I'm just adding a few almonds to my porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Exact same weight end of March as the start! Oh well. Wasn't expecting to lose much if anything, had lots on the past few weeks and didn't make a huge amount of effort. Wedding is in 4 weeks (!) so I'm not going to put myself under huge pressure to lose weight this month, more aiming to eat well and look after myself so I feel good in the run up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Hi All,

Male, 6'1 starting weight is 110kg which would give me about 15-20kg to lose. Since putting on the weight I've been trying to exercise to get it off but I always seem to gravitate towards the 110kg mark. A light bulb went off in my head 3 weeks ago when looking at myself in photo's after a night out of how poor I now look in comparison to 2 years ago before the weight gain. Something will have to change because technically I should be in the prime of my life and fitness also. A lot of crap happened in the past year that I'm not going to go into that lead me to comfort eat in a big way.

Anyway, since that light bulb went off I've began to take care of my diet and my current weight is 107kg. Target number 1 is to get down to 100kg. I'm going to aim for the 30th of April. Might be a bit excessive but I'll be happy to take 102kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

jokettle wrote: »
    Sounds good! I need to up my protein as well, but living with my veggie SO makes it difficult since we tend to eat the same dinners. Maybe I'll snack on chicken during the day...? Any tips would be welcome!

Do you know how much protein you're getting on board as it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Do you know how much protein you're getting on board as it is?

According to MFP, I'm getting between 30 and 70g a day. I want to increase it (or at least consistently hit a higher number than 30g) because I'm starting to do some more strength work. I'm finding lots of different results online when I try to find out what I should be aiming for, which is confusing. I'll have to do some proper research this evening.

According to MFP, I'm getting between 30 and 70g a day. I want to increase it (or at least consistently hit a higher number than 30g) because I'm starting to do some more strength work. I'm finding lots of different results online when I try to find out what I should be aiming for, which is confusing. I'll have to do some proper research this evening.

The optimal is 0.82g per pound of bodyweight. After that, you get no additional benefit from more.

But you don't need to be getting that much per se. It's the upper limit.

There are numerous ways to up your intake. Might mean some substitutions if you are calorie counting but that doesn't need to be a problem

Thanks :) I also think if I up my protein, I'll have to lower my carbs, which is no bad thing. I'd rather have extra chicken than a bigger portion of pasta, for eg.

Thanks :) I also think if I up my protein, I'll have to lower my carbs, which is no bad thing. I'd rather have extra chicken than a bigger portion of pasta, for eg.

Depending on how hard the training is in terms of the toll it takes on the muscles and the muscles it takes a toll on, you can take in less than the 0.82g figure.

Ideally you'd have your protein intake spread across the day to try and make the protein synthesis occur more regularly than it would if you were just getting your protein all in the one go.

I give this example cos I like tuna bit a tin of tuna has the same protein content as a protein shake (1 scoop).

But I'm an easy creature to please. Boredom with food isn't a problem for me :)

• Advertisement

This is all good to know, thank you! I'm not particularly interested in supplements like protein shakes; I'm not aiming for huge gains in terms of muscle tissue, so it seems unnecessary. The most I'll do is snack on a Quest bar, and that's because the cookies and cream ones are almost like a treat :pac:

I'll work on adjusting my usual meals and snacks to have a bit more protein, while not getting too worked up about it. As long as I can lose some fat and gain enough muscle to improve my general physique, I'll be happy.

I don't really use shakes myself.

I do have whey but that's mostly because I love mixing a scoop in with greek yoghurt. It's like vanilla Angels Delight only nicer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Finishing March the same weight I started, around the 8st 11 mark.

But the month I've had I wouldn't care If I had gained. Sometimes things get in the way and you can't always be 100 per cent. Been a mental month of travelling, working and celebrating. Weekends of only 5 hours sleep and days spent in the airport bar.
    I really think though the work I put in before this month is what kept me at maintenance and whats making things easier now.

I was just starting to pick up bad habits though. Such as 2 chicken fillet rolls in the last month when I have't had one in years beforehand, because why not. And covering chips in full fat mayo because I was already eating chips so the extra calories don't count. Or putting coke in my vodka instead of diet, which is just plain daft, I prefer the taste of diet. They all seem silly but it was my attitude of f*ck it what difference does it make that was the problem.

Ultimate goal is in or around the 8st mark. Not in any rush to get there. Next two months are crazy in work so a few lbs lost will be good enough for me. More concerned with eating healthy and giving my body the energy to get through it.

But I do not want to be reaching for chocolate constantly, as much as I love it. Picked up some dark chocolate corn cakes today (can't stand rice cakes) so hopefully they will be a good substitute.

Still calorie counting as its what got me this far. Even though some days I'm so busy my entire calorie goal ends up in my evening meal of a bowl of pasta and nothing else all day, which can't be too healthy.

Not sure how to rectify that though, other than attempting to be more organized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Ups and downs today.

On the bright side, I ate reasonably well and went to the gym. Oh and I really upped my water intake.

On the downside, I had a sugary snack (though it was only 100cals) and I really want something sweet again now. And I didn't do a whole lot at the gym.

Congratulate yourself for what you did do. For instance, yesterday I had a huge dinner in a restaurant, but my muscles are reminding me that I did a good session in the gym. I find it much easier to stay on track if I focus on the positive.

Ups and downs today.

On the bright side, I ate reasonably well and went to the gym. Oh and I really upped my water intake.

On the downside, I had a sugary snack (though it was only 100cals) and I really want something sweet again now. And I didn't do a whole lot at the gym.

What you did at the gym was more than you would have done if you hadn't gone.

Weighed in today and was pleasantly surprised to see a 4lb loss from last week, which means my gain was all junk food bloat! Still up a pound for March, but that's sooo much better than I thought it'd be.

January: - 5.5lb
    February: - 1.5lb
    March: + 1lb
    So far this year: - 6lb

I definitely feel back 'in the zone' now, long may it last! I had a work party last night and instead of using it as an excuse to go mad, I checked the menu in advance and worked out exactly how much I'd have to eat and drink to stay within my calorie allowance (also allowed for three generous gin & slimline tonics :cool:) I'm out again on Saturday and will be doing the same. It's amazing the difference a change in mindset makes!

Last year I lost 2.5 stone between April and September. If I could do the same this year it'd be amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Weighted in this morning to be surprised by another 1.8kgs dropped off since last week. I guess thgat two hours of Gardening paid off yesterday. That's 6.2kgs lost from the 4th of March to today and 12.1kgs since I began this effort on the 12th of Feb.

That's great Dolbert. Some really useful ideas.

One thing I've found us that taking control like that can really be empowering and hugely boost your efforts.

Too often you'll go to a night out, eat all the food because all the food is there...and then after you feel shi*ty and possibly lose sight of the bigger picture.

The subtle change in mindset, where you realise it's you on control of what you eat rather than the other way around, means you look at what's available, pick a sensible option that you can enjoy and you go and enjoy it. No guilt.

I'm working from home today and the temptation to eat is killing me.

I'm not hungry or bored and I have tonnes of work to do but just being in the house makes me feel like I'm being pulled to the fridge.

I have lunch and dinner already planned out but I always eat late with my boyfriend so I like to eat lunch around 3 since dinner wont be until 8. But that's 2 hours away. And there is leftover Easter chocolate everywhere.

The timing of my period also doesn't help, it was a bad weekend for Easter to fall this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I hate eggs so I would love to hear other tips on adding protein to breakfast.

At the moment I'm just adding a few almonds to my porridge.

I eat a lot of eggs for breakfast, cottage cheese is my go to breakfast when I want a change or just want something quicker. I add a bit of Tex Mex spice to make it more interesting. Super lean and super cheap.

Down to 61.9 kg today. Not as much as I had hoped but tbh I'm glad it is still in a downwards direction! My main aim for April is to hit 60, and to up my weights in the gym by 5 kg by the end of the month.

ameliams wrote: »

I'm not hungry or bored and I have tonnes of work to do but just being in the house makes me feel like I'm being pulled to the fridge.

I have lunch and dinner already planned out but I always eat late with my boyfriend so I like to eat lunch around 3 since dinner wont be until 8. But that's 2 hours away. And there is leftover Easter chocolate everywhere.

The timing of my period also doesn't help, it was a bad weekend for Easter to fall this year.

Tough all round! How did you manage? Are you back at work as normal next week?

Redser87 wrote: »
    ameliams wrote: »

Tough all round! How did you manage? Are you back at work as normal next week?

Made some jelly yoghurt thing for 60 Kcals which kept the sweet cravings at bay. By the time lunch came around I didn't eat half of what I planned so had 100 calories left which I'm now using for a glass of wine. Which I was not planning on doing but I'm not beating myself up about it.

Actually realized that in January when I started tracking on my fitness pal I was 9st 8 and now I'm 8st 11. I had no idea that I'd lost that much since January I thought it was much further back.

I'll be working away from home for the next ten days so I'll be out of the house and hopefully it'll be easier to keep cravings at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

two weeks into the healthy eating and more exercise. I do feel better. I'm doing it more so for my health than how I look. I'm feeling like I have more energy already. I've been doing exercise every day (walking) as I'm very unfit and want to build up my fitness.

I'm also logging my cals on MFP. I can't believe how quickly my cals go if I make the wrong choice. It's really good seeing what you eat written down.

Trying to kick the sugar habit is hard tho.

Ah, Friday night alcohol. You beautiful bastard.

Also...cookies. Dammit.

I'll not be losing weight this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Ah, Friday night alcohol. You beautiful bastard.

Also...cookies. Dammit.

I'll not be losing weight this week.

This just made me hungry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Well you could have knocked me down with a feather this morning, because I've lost 2.2lbs since Good Friday. Not only that, but my TOTM is here as well. I've resisted the usual cravings, with the exception of a solitary Freddo bar yesterday. There was a time when I would eat four of them in one go.

So I'm 10lbs down in 4 weeks, which I'm really stunned at - 161lbs down to 150.6lbs. Next week I'm aiming to get into the 140s.

Great work Ilyana! The motivation must be catching as I've just planned out next week's meals on MyFitnessPal, I've found it makes such a difference to know roughly in advance what to have, even allowing for variations. Plenty of treats in there too :cool: I'm planning to drop my allowance by 50 calories when I get into each new stone zone so making the most of it now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Hello!
    Any help with regards to sweet cravings?

I feel like a demon for sweet stuff, I'm doing strength training 3 days a week and focus on cardio the other two days during the week and yoga one night a week. At the weekends it's mainly a long brisk walk.

I'm finding not havin sweet stuff is my biggest stuggle! Having the odd fulfil protein bar is helping as they're low sugar, I have my diet on track, plenty of veg, lean meats, around 2litres of water a day, plenty of fruit, porridge every day and tracking everything using my fitness pal. Just the sweet stuff gets me! Any help?

Advertisement