Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lilydonoghue

would you use dried fruit. I find a dried fig or two really helps a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I've gained 2.5lbs in the last two weeks :o

I've been eating well, haven't touched Easter eggs or anything. But I'm on meds for an injury that are causing major water retention (my shoes are too small now, I have cankles etc). So I'm assuming that's why!

I haven't taken the meds for a few days because I haven't been in unbearable pain, and already I'm back in my shoes and my clothes feel looser, so hopefully I'll have a loss on Wednesday.

Then I'm going on holiday Wednesday evening and will no doubt drink like a fish and gain half a stone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

would you use dried fruit. I find a dried fig or two really helps a lot

I was looking them up and dried fruit tend to be high in sugar! I used to love figs and raisins but my trainer told me to cut them from my diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Dolbert wrote: »
    Great work Ilyana! The motivation must be catching as I've just planned out next week's meals on MyFitnessPal, I've found it makes such a difference to know roughly in advance what to have, even allowing for variations. Plenty of treats in there too :cool: I'm planning to drop my allowance by 50 calories when I get into each new stone zone so making the most of it now!

Thanks! It was the motivation boost I needed, for sure.
    Gosh you're so organised, but it definitely helps to know in advance what you'll be eating and where your wriggle room is (if any). For example, I know to take it easy on the fruit/peanut butter etc. during the day if we're having mince/beef for dinner, but not so much with chicken.

Mugatuu I'm the exact same, it's the sweet cravings that I find hardest to ignore. Sometimes if I have calories left over, I might have some low fat natural yoghurt with some blueberries after my dinner, and it does take the edge off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Motivation all around!

This is the first weekend I haven't lost the run of myself food and drinks wise. Went out for a few hours on Fri and had one glass of wine (had put two into my fitness pal that morning but didn't use the second!). Yesterday I caved and had some biscuits and a malteasers bunny but managed to stay within kcals but tonight I'm going on a date so will just have to manage the booze.

I know I have a busy week ahead so this morning I prepped some food. I have breakfast, lunch and my daytime snack ready for tomorrow and lunch ready for Tuesday. I also have extra chicken, veg and butternut squash cooked to just assemble Wednesday's lunch tomorrow evening.

Back in the game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

What do people eat when they're stuck and the likes of a garage/spar is the only option? My work can be somewhat unpredictable with hours, last week I ended up working 2 12 hour shifts on consecutive days, and only found I had to do so at 9pm the night. Can't physically leave my place of work so have to send people to the shop for me-ended up with a cully and sully soup, packet of cooked chicken and some fruit which is OK but not great-intetested if anyone has any other ideas as it's likely I'm going to be stuck for more of the same shifts over the next couple of weeks and unlikely to get enough notice to allow me to prepare something the night before!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Could you cook a batch of something you like, and freeze it into individual portions? Then if you get notice for a shift the night before, all you have to do is defrost a portion and bring it to work with you the next day. If you had a Cully and Sully soup then I assume you have access to a microwave in work, to hear up prepped meals.

At times when I've been caught with no food prepped, I tend to go for those soups as well. They're fairly filling and low calorie. Maybe some rice cakes or popcorn too, to keep you full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Yup I try to do batch cooking but I always seem to get caught on the hop with nothing left in the freezer! I suppose it's a question of better organisation really so that I'm not letting the freezer run out completely. We have a microwave into work which does make it easier!

jokettle wrote: »
    Ah, Friday night alcohol. You beautiful bastard.

Also...cookies. Dammit.

I'll not be losing weight this week.

Maybe cookies help weight loss, because I've finally hit 127 pounds even. I was 127.X for AGES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

pampootie wrote: »
    Yup I try to do batch cooking but I always seem to get caught on the hop with nothing left in the freezer! I suppose it's a question of better organisation really so that I'm not letting the freezer run out completely. We have a microwave into work which does make it easier!

The microwave in work for me is terrible. Only one microwave and it doesn't even work properly which means anything I eat has to be cold for convenience.:) I'm trying to cut down on sandwiches myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I'm making a habit too of eating porridge every work day for breakfast. :)

Ok, it's official. Cookies and cider DEFINITELY help weight loss ;) 126.6 pounds today! 0.6 to goal!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'm down another pound too :) That's pretty good considering I had an Easter egg for lunch yesterday *ahem*

Ok, it's official. Cookies and cider DEFINITELY help weight loss ;) 126.6 pounds today! 0.6 to goal!! :D

Fair play, you'll be there in no time. My 'provisional' goal is 130 but if I get down to 126 I'll be delighted.

I might be imagining it, but my sweatpants I wear for walking are feeling a little looser. Long may that continue :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Green grapes frozen are a really nice treat I have discovered. They are sweet and chewy when you take them out and they last for ages. Have to be seedless tho :D

I'm finding it difficult eating right when I am so tired. I having sleep issues. Maybe getting 2 hrs a night. I am sticking with the diet but it's so hard!

I'm finding it difficult eating right when I am so tired. I having sleep issues. Maybe getting 2 hrs a night. I am sticking with the diet but it's so hard!

Are you eating enough? At the beginning I restricted my calories too much and it messed with my sleep until I started eating a little more.

Of course, if it's stress or some other reason not directly related to food, it'll come down to good old-fashioned discipline. Not exactly fun, but you're doing well so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Are you eating enough? At the beginning I restricted my calories too much and it messed with my sleep until I started eating a little more.

Of course, if it's stress or some other reason not directly related to food, it'll come down to good old-fashioned discipline. Not exactly fun, but you're doing well so far!

Yes definately eating enough. I am logging everything on Myfitnesspal. Keeping track of everything helps. I am finding mini goals are helping me. instead of thinking how much I have to lose I am setting a little target per month so I am hping to be 8lbs down by May.

Why is it so easy to gain and so hard to loss?!grr

For little targets, if you have an iPhone I strongly recommend Happy Scale. You can set mini goals and it tells you how far you are to the next one in terms of percentage. I find it great to know I'm 60% to my next goal, or whatever it might be. Keeps things in perspective!

You log your weight as often as you want (I think the more data the better), and it smooths it out showing you a lovely downward trend instead of the jagged ups and downs of the MFP graphs. Plus it predicts when you'll hot your next goal and your final target, which is nice to keep an eye on!

Edit: android phones have a similar app called Libra, but I don't know much about it

Weighing in in just over an hour.

Was very good all week, til my folks handed me a birthday cake last night (it's not my birthday for a few days, but I won't be here for it).

Had a slice. then decided 'ah shur why not?' and had a slice for breakfast today :o :pac:

I'm not expecting a great result now!

After cake for breakfast, I'm 4.5lbs down :eek:

Jesus. I'm shocked. New stone bracket too.

• Advertisement

After cake for breakfast, I'm 4.5lbs down :eek:

Jesus. I'm shocked. New stone bracket too.

See, junk food helps! :D

This morning I HIT MY GOAL WEIGHT!! 125.8 pounds! I was aiming for 126 :) I'll try to maintain this for about a week before upping calories, just to be sure it's not luck ;) but yay!

See, junk food helps! :D

This morning I HIT MY GOAL WEIGHT!! 125.8 pounds! I was aiming for 126 :) I'll try to maintain this for about a week before upping calories, just to be sure it's not luck ;) but yay!

Jesus, congratulations!! You must be over the moon!! :D

Jesus, congratulations!! You must be over the moon!! :D

I really am, I thought it'd take a couple more weeks because I seemed to hit a plateau last week. But nope, goal weight!!

Now I have no excuse not to up the exercise...but also, more calories!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Congratulations, jokettle! That's amazing, you must feel great!!

Well done Jokettle! Buy yourself something pretty to celebrate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

That is brilliant jokettle. The first of many of us, let's hope! Good luck with the maintenance!

Thanks, guys! I'm very pleased :) An elasticated belt I wear really regularly is now loose on me, and I have cheekbones! So many things to be happy about :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Another great week with 1.7kg lost.

At the beginning of the week I was in trouble looking like I was going to put weight on for the first time since I started. I ensured that I went under my calorie targets by around 400 calories per day by increasing veggies and reducing fat and proteins from Tuesday onwards and it worked. I'm still not back walking as the calf muscle hasn't healed yet but hoping I can from next week. Only 22.3kgs to go to my initial target weight by the end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

That's great gandalf. You are taking a healthy approach to it rather than a crash diet, and that will probably stand to you. I have decided to only weigh in once a week from now on because twice had me stressed. Didn't do it today though as I am on my period and it wouldn't give an accurate measure.
    I have eaten well this week and did three good gym sessions, so happy enough. Mfp says I should be at 58 kg in 5 weeks. Wait and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Why is it so easy to gain and so hard to loss?!grr

I read this once a while back. I'm probably gonna say it wrong but hope you get the gist of it.
    If you're overweight and lose the weight, you become something similar to a damp sponge. If you wet a damp sponge it'll be fully soaked much quicker than a dry sponge.
    Your cells, or whatever, are the damp sponge and if you overeat again, you'll soak the sponge.
    Or somethin like that.

Advertisement