Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Well, that and having to exercise some discipline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm 2.8lbs down this morning, bringing me 0.8lbs off my first stone lost, and back into the 140s. Very, very pleased as I've been eating well all week while also having wiggle room for some dark chocolate and popcorn. I know those kinds of losses won't continue but if I can get the next stone off by August I'll be delighted with myself.

When I get that first stone off I might treat myself to a manicure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Hi new here. Well done to the others. Its motivating reading your stories ☺ just wanted to share though that have More than a stone lost since Christmas, no beer (only one glass of wine) no chocolate (apart from a teeny bit Easter Sunday) , standing more (apparently standing alone burns 50 calories an hour. Really pleased, a lot I think is due to not drinking beer. Size 16 is now falling off me whereas before it was tight. Blood pressure better too ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Absolutely delighted, after a week of drinking cocktails, beer, wine and eating terribly bad food, I only gained 2.5! :D

Lost 4.5 last week so I'm delighted I didn't gain all that back. I was walking 10k most days which I think mitigated the gain a bit.

I did my first bit of jogging in forever today, and I didn't die. 5k in 38 minutes, which I'm pleased with considering I had to walk for about 5 minutes while I took a phone call. Pretty sure I sounded like I'd just been winded :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I'm still slowly getting used to maintenance. My Happy Scale app told me to lose one extra pound in order to stay below my goal weight. I guess it makes sense, but....I thought I was done! Anyway. I lost that pound, and now I'm comfortably floating between 125 and 126 (the latter being my goal weight).

I'm struggling with fitting in the extra calories tbh! I'm trying a mix of slightly bigger portions at dinner, a few extra snacks (more cheese, yay) and maybe an extra drink or two at the weekends. I really don't want to get the extra cals from junk food, as tempting as it would be, because that's what got me into the position of needing to lose weight in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

My heart bleeds for you! :p seriously though that sounds like the way to do it, very healthy. Could you add a handful of nuts, seeds, dried fruit to breakfast and salads? Nutritious but calorie rich if it's a generous handful!

I'm up 0.2lb this week, which is a little annoying as I was so close to losing that first stone. I know why it happened and I just need to be more disciplined next week. Still though, it's my first gain since I started, which is a little disheartening.

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I'm up 0.2lb this week, which is a little annoying as I was so close to losing that first stone. I know why it happened and I just need to be more disciplined next week. Still though, it's my first gain since I started, which is a little disheartening.

Honestly, 0.2lbs could be a glass of water before weighing in, I really wouldn't worry too much! My first gain was 3.5lbs!

You'll have that few ounces off next week, along with more if you stick with it, don't stress.

We won't have losses every single week, it's unrealistic. Sometimes we'll have a cheat meal, eat the wrong things, have that extra vodka. And that's okay. you gotta enjoy life too!

Honestly, 0.2lbs could be a glass of water before weighing in, I really wouldn't worry too much! My first gain was 3.5lbs!

You'll have that few ounces off next week, along with more if you stick with it, don't stress.

We won't have losses every single week, it's unrealistic. Sometimes we'll have a cheat meal, eat the wrong things, have that extra vodka. And that's okay. you gotta enjoy life too!

Yeah you're right, thanks for that! I was out on Wednesday night and I drank within my calories but the cheeseburger I had at 2am wasn't part of the plan :pac:

Onwards and upwards for next week. I'll get rid of that first stone if it kills me!

• Advertisement

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Yeah you're right, thanks for that! I was out on Wednesday night and I drank within my calories but the cheeseburger I had at 2am wasn't part of the plan :pac:

Onwards and upwards for next week. I'll get rid of that first stone if it kills me!

A cheeseburger?! Good god, how can you sleep at night?! :p

one burger isn't gonna kill you. You'll get your stone, don't worry. You had it, presumably enjoyed it and now you can get back on track and put it behind you :)

Haha I know right?! Binge of the century!

Yeah I need to calm down and move on. It's crazy how easily these things feel like the end of the world when they're really not.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
    I am finally under 60 kg! Totally baffled though, I had a stressful week last week and only got to the gym once, ate the same as normally and wasn't sleeping well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Was ticking along quiet happy, then got the flu went from losing about 1kg a week to putting on 0.4kg, stupid sick Aidan feels sorry for himself and buys sweets and biscuits, anyways last week back kinda working out and only lost 0.1 kg :(. Went hard this week again so hopefully monday back where I was, even though I had some biscuits yesterday :( (Im like a addict, if their in the house I want to eat them)

I know the feeling Aidan, am suffering from a cold myself at the moment. Out of sight, out of mind!

Redser87 wrote: »
    I know the feeling Aidan, am suffering from a cold myself at the moment. Out of sight, out of mind!

Dont eat 4 crunchies :(

Now I want one! !!

Redser87 wrote: »
    Now I want one! !!

It never stops at one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Which is dangerous, with it being Friday an' all...

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Now at 148, down 6 pounds so far. Yay!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Took a week off tracking and watching what I ate and am now ready to get back in track.

Today I'm aiming for 2.5l water, no chocolate and no mindless eating. Back to the gym in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I haven't been on it, like at all, after a week of stress and illness. I definitely need to learn better coping skills though that don't involve self-sabotage :/ Anyway, I guess there's a week left to make a dent in my March weight loss. Nothing drastic, just plenty of water, protein, fruit and veg. Feeling very "bleurgh" atm and don't even want to step on a scale until next week.

I'm down another 1.8lb this week, my first stone down and almost halfway to my goal. I'm definitely looking forward to getting out of the 140s. It's been a long time since I saw 130-something on the scale!

Having a calm weekend, no crazy food and probably no booze. I actually find these weekends a relief sometimes, because I probably won't be derailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I like this thread. I'm trying to lose weight and I'm tracking everything I eat for the past five weeks. Sometimes its a right pain and i lose track. Glad I'm not the only person who loses track.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

I had an event last night, and tried on a pair of trousers that were too tight a couple of weeks ago.

They fit!!! :):)

I'm so limited in my clothing choices at the moment because I can't fit into a lot my usual clothes. I have lots of nice things in my "normal" size (about a stone less than I am now), so I'm not going to buy a new, bigger set of clothes.

So, it felt really nice to be able to fit into a nice pair of trousers that used to be in the "still too tight" pile :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

cactusgal wrote: »
    I had an event last night, and tried on a pair of trousers that were too tight a couple of weeks ago.

They fit!!! :):)

I'm so limited in my clothing choices at the moment because I can't fit into a lot my usual clothes. I have lots of nice things in my "normal" size (about a stone less than I am now), so I'm not going to buy a new, bigger set of clothes.

So, it felt really nice to be able to fit into a nice pair of trousers that used to be in the "still too tight" pile :D

Love those non scale victories!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

This is going to sound really, really silly but... I had SUCH a lovely walk last night, I just feel the need to post about it!

I don't have a car, so I walk a LOT. I walk to work and back every day, which is 25 minutes each way. But I don't particularly enjoy it. I'm dressed in my "work" attire so not really comfortable, my mind is usually pre-occupied with thoughts of getting to work on time/getting home from work at a decent hour/the grocery shopping I need to do/my work day ahead/the stuff I need to do when I get home, etc etc. I'm carrying my big heavy "work" handbag, and when I'm walking home I'm also laden down with groceries, and... meh. My point is, even though I walk a lot, I don't really consider it a fun activity.

But then last night... I decided for some reason to go for a walk, just for fun. I was feeling stressed and fed up and just wanted to get out of the house. Chucked on some old tracksuit bottoms and a pair of runners, pulled on my coat, and took nothing with me except my phone, my earphones and my key. Found a Spotify playlist I hadn't listened to before. And I just started walking, listening to my music. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going, just completely lost in the music and the fresh air and the fact that there was NOTHING on my mind. I ended up back at my apartment door about 1 hour 40 minutes later, and I was actually disappointed it was over and that I had to go back inside and get back to life. I was in such a good mood for the rest of the evening, I even took some time to just dance around my room with the earphones still in, big grin on my face!

The fact that walking outdoors = endorphins is probably obvious to all you guys, but I dunno... I didn't realise what a brilliantly de-stressing activity it could be. I'm already looking forward to doing it again tonight :D Completely different experience to using the treadmill in the gym, IMO!

I've been doing quite well weight-loss wise recently (nearly 7 pounds in the last two weeks) but tbh, the nice walk last night put me in a better mood than any of the weight-loss successes have!

Yesterday my wife said my t-shirts all are loose on me now, have lost the stomach :D my goal is to lose the rest of it about 5kg 65kg being my goal, should have the pack back by then :D

Not silly at all deex, I think these experiences are actually more important than the scale. It is easy to obsess over the numbers but it is better to develop healthy habits that will hopefully remain after the weight is gone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Woo, i lost 7lbs in two and a half weeks. I have been trying to lose weight for the past 5 weeks and i weighed more at the start. Not sure how much more as i only got a scales two weeks ago. I'm at the half stone mark. I won't say how much as i have a good bit left to lose. My pants feel loser and everything. Woo

Advertisement