Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Woohoo managed my first day back in track yesterday and got to the gym this morning. Need to just keep up the momentum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'll join in if I can.
    Lost 5kg last summer for impending heart surgery and managed to gain it again post surgery :(
    I started tracking my food on my fitness pal and am eating around 1500cals per day.
    I'm not anal with weighing my food.
    Anyway I'm still limited with weights for obvious reasons (or maybe not) breast bone is still healing.
    Anyway, I stood on the scales in the gym a month ago and was 87kg . I'm now down to 83.3 with mainly diet. I had a lung infection which knocked me back in the last few weeks.
    My first goal is 81_kg (surgery weight) and down to 75kg for a normal weight.
    I cut out the cr@p, reduced my bread and am eating porridge in the mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

... I'm not anal with weighing my food...

Feel free to disregard this as I am honestly no expert, but it's really no harm to log your food accurately with a scales. I didn't when I tried to lose weight in the past, but then I wondered why I was hardly losing any weight. As it turns out, I'm a little too generous when I'm guesstimating quantities!

I got myself a cheap digital scale in Lidl and I use it everyday, especially for my porridge as I was making myself monster bowls of it beforehand. Now that my logging is much more accurate, I'm less likely to overeat unintentionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

I'm also no expert tantraska but I'm the same. My progress might be quicker if I weighed everything but my happiness and enjoyment of the food would suffer, and I wouldn't stick with it. My solution is to overestimate my calories on mfp, if it says 1 cup, I will put in 1.5. That way, I may be logging too much but chances are it's about right. I have lost 5.5 kg since January so it seems to be working!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Hi All,

Male, 6'1 starting weight is 110kg which would give me about 15-20kg to lose. Since putting on the weight I've been trying to exercise to get it off but I always seem to gravitate towards the 110kg mark. A light bulb went off in my head 3 weeks ago when looking at myself in photo's after a night out of how poor I now look in comparison to 2 years ago before the weight gain. Something will have to change because technically I should be in the prime of my life and fitness also. A lot of crap happened in the past year that I'm not going to go into that lead me to comfort eat in a big way.

Anyway, since that light bulb went off I've began to take care of my diet and my current weight is 107kg. Target number 1 is to get down to 100kg. I'm going to aim for the 30th of April. Might be a bit excessive but I'll be happy to take 102kg.

Weighed in this morning at 101.3kg so unfortunately I haven't met my 100kg target. However I am feeling much better both mentally and physically. I've opened up my wardrobe and shirts that I couldn't fit into before and they now fit me perfectly!

I'm going to set a somewhat easier target now for the next month. I'll have a weigh in on Tuesday the 23th of May and I hope to be under 98kg at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Haven't checked in for a couple of weeks but the weight loss is still heading the right way. Lost 1.1kgs last week and have now lost 17.1kgs since I started on the 12th of Feb. Feeling a lot better and it's really cool to put on a shirt that was tight before to find it loose on you now :)

Redser87 wrote: »

Just quoting myself so that I can five it easily when I weigh in tomorrow, eek!
    65.5 at the start of January
    63.5 at the start of February
    62.5 at the start of March
    61.2 at the start of April

59.8 now. Not a huge step downwards, but still in the right direction. I am going on a foodie holiday this week so if I can get down to 59 this month I will be absolutely delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I stopped tracking my intake last week, because it was my birthday and I ate everything for about 5 days. Incidentally, St Tola's goat's cheese is amazing beyond words and I would marry it if I could.

As of this morning, I'm over a pound above maintenance weight. I know some of it is bloat (there was a lot of bread to go with that cheese), so it's back to 1200 calories until the excess is gone. Hopefully that won't take long!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I ate all around me for the best part of 3 weeks and did very little exercise. I felt all bloated and could see my face getting pudgier. I'm 3 days back on track, two gym sessions down and already I feel better. I'm aiming for loads of water and hoping for the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'm having a terrible few weeks and between my car being written off and my toddler being very sick, all mindful eating has gone out the window. I know I've gained a few pounds and an idiot colleague asked me if I was pregnant :rolleyes: so I'm looking forward to getting back into it, I don't want to get to the "clothes don't fit" stage. It's my sister's 30th on Friday and it'll be a biiiig night out, but I'm hoping for a good week after that.

• Advertisement

I seem to have gotten stuck in the same 2lb range for the last month or so. I'm doing 4x5k runs every week and am eating reasonably well, bar an occasional 'cheat' meal (only one a week, though). I know it's just a plateau, that I'm exercising more than I ever was and that I'm hitting my calorie goals 95% of the time, I just want to see some tangible/quantifiable results, please and thank you.

The day I push through this barrier, I'll probably cry with delight :o

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

I'm down my first half stone :)

Starting weight 154 pounds, now 147.

It's taking a loooong time, due to falling off the wagon several times, but I'm happy with myself! I'm now 10 pounds over my usual weight, and 20 pounds over my desirable weight.

Going to keep chipping away til I get there! Best of luck to everyone xx

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

I got myself a step counter from Argos. It's giving me that bit of motivation to walk more and very rewarding seeing how many steps I've done.

48 days logging on my fitness pal have about two bad days food wise over that period due to my birthday.

I'm feeling motivated though and defo feel my fitness level getting better. I lost about 6kg in the first few weeks and now I'm stuck so might need to do more exercise and eat less?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I got myself a step counter from Argos. It's giving me that bit of motivation to walk more and very rewarding seeing how many steps I've done.

48 days logging on my fitness pal have about two bad days food wise over that period due to my birthday.

I'm feeling motivated though and defo feel my fitness level getting better. I lost about 6kg in the first few weeks and now I'm stuck so might need to do more exercise and eat less?!

Congratulations on the weight loss!!

As you lose weight, your body needs less calories. So you might just need a small tweak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I lost a stone in 7 weeks. I have 4 more pounds before i start all over again with the next stone.

I have lost weight before and put it back on. I used to love going to the gym years ago. Only this time, its so much harder. I'm losing it by cutting out crappy foods and tracking everything i eat. I haven't gone near exercise yet as i have such a sore back but I'm on my feet all day so I'm hoping that helps towards exercise.

My goal is to lose weight in the hope that it will help my back. I will eventually get back to exercise but i don't want to put myself out and hurt my back even more.

Diet is the main part of weight loss anyway so you are probably on the right track. How about swimming? Could even help your back. Have you been to the physio?

Diet is the main part of weight loss anyway so you are probably on the right track. How about swimming? Could even help your back. Have you been to the physio?

I haven't even thought about swimming but good idea. Thanks.

Edit: checked out prices for gym plus pool and there's a 3month option instead of a whole year. So I'll see how the swimming goes for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

A stone and a half lost this year,. Didn't diet as such, but cut out as much processed food as I could. Have also had just 4 alcoholic drinks over 2 special occasions. Really pleased and hope its sustainable ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Bought 2 new tops today, its so much easier to get clothes ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

jokettle wrote: »
    I stopped tracking my intake last week, because it was my birthday and I ate everything for about 5 days. Incidentally, St Tola's goat's cheese is amazing beyond words and I would marry it if I could.

As of this morning, I'm over a pound above maintenance weight. I know some of it is bloat (there was a lot of bread to go with that cheese), so it's back to 1200 calories until the excess is gone. Hopefully that won't take long!

This didn't take long at all! I was maintaining at 125/126, and this morning I weighed in at 124 :D That means I'm 20 pounds down altogether!

The habits learned through ~3 months of watching my intake really stood by me. It doesn't feel over the top to weigh and log all my food anymore, it's just part of my routine. It can feel cumbersome, but it's definitely worth it in the long run :)

• Advertisement

So I'm pretty happy with myself. I've been sticking to healthy eating during my exam studies and I've been fitting in the gym too. Cropped jeans that wouldn't close at the end of last summer are on today :D

Now just to work on the muffin top!

I'm 17lbs down now, with about 14lbs to go. I've hit my stride I think, experimenting more with recipes and enjoying getting out for my runs.

I'm off to visit family in England next week and I'm a little worried that I'll undo my hard work. I'll just have to try to keep the balance between enjoying my holiday and not doing the dog on it completely. Pray for me!

I put on a pound and a bit when I went away at the start of the month but I'm back to where I was now. You will be grand!

I put on a pound and a bit when I went away at the start of the month but I'm back to where I was now. You will be grand!

Good going, less than 2lbs is nothing really. If that's the only damage done after a week with my grandmother pushing cake on me, I'll be doing well.

Woo, I'm down to an even weight on the scales and now the next stone starts. Two more to lose. I would like to lose another stone before July, is that possible?

I love seeing the inches get smaller on the measuring tape and fitting into something that didn't fit me a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

For the first time in years I'm actually losing weight without using MyFitnessPal.

I think all the years of logging and weighing have finally tuned my eye to judge what's a reasonable portion.

My wife and I are also on a saving drive so we've been really organised with our shopping, meaning no midweek trips to the shop and no snacks left in the kitchen.

Does anyone drink black tea? I like my tea with milk but I'm sure the calories all add up during the day. But myfitnesspal has 0 calories if you drink it black. Does this mean i can have as many cups as i want if i get used to drinking it black?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

The Raptor wrote: »
    Does anyone drink black tea? I like my tea with milk but I'm sure the calories all add up during the day. But myfitnesspal has 0 calories if you drink it black. Does this mean i can have as many cups as i want if i get used to drinking it black?

Yep pretty much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

The Raptor wrote: »
    Woo, I'm down to an even weight on the scales and now the next stone starts. Two more to lose. I would like to lose another stone before July, is that possible?

I love seeing the inches get smaller on the measuring tape and fitting into something that didn't fit me a few months ago.

That would depend on a few factors like how much you weigh now and also how much exercise you do.

1 stone sounds excessive to me though in just a few weeks. 1lb per week is about the recommended loss for a healthy, maintainable weight.

• Advertisement

Had my first cup of bkack tea today. It was yuck. I need my milk.

Advertisement