Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

I would not be prepared to sacrifice the comfort of a good cup of tea for a few calories. Low fat milk is guilt free enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The Raptor wrote: »
    Had my first cup of bkack tea today. It was yuck. I need my milk.

Why not try white tea or green tea instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Why not try white tea or green tea instead?

I actually switched from black tea to green tea and green tea is much nicer if you want tea without milk.

I throw some mint leaves in it now and then, but it's quite nice on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I actually switched from black tea to green tea and green tea is much nicer if you want tea without milk.

I throw some mint leaves in it now and then, but it's quite nice on its own

And I've switched from green to white. I did a lot of reading on both and white is much better for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

The Raptor wrote: »
    Had my first cup of bkack tea today. It was yuck. I need my milk.

Why not switch to skimmed so? Saves a lot of calories if you drink lots of tea. Takes time to get used to it but it's fine after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Back to it this morning - had a brilliant 4 weeks with my wedding and honeymoon but looking forward to eating well again and feeling good. Scales tells me I'm up 8 pounds, some is probably water retention but I ate and drank a lot so I'm not too surprised! Signing up for a few races over the summer now to keep me motivated and then off to do a very veg heavy grocery run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Walking past the bakery section in lidl or any shop is so hard. But especially lidl because you can smell all the nice things.

Losing weight is so hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Riders Of Rohan

Had a real crap week, wife just had a baby so super sleep deprived. Lost 1kg the week before but feel Ive put it on again this week, been snacking like crazy, just zero motivation in the gym

Enjoyed myself a bit too much today. I'll start back tomorrow.

I've been cutting calories, weighing all my food and it's been working, slowly.

But does anyone else feel as if they have a smaller stomach after a few weeks or is it just me. I enjoyed myself a bit too much but I was stuffed and felt i couldn't eat as much as I used to. Does anyone else find the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

^^ Yes, if I'm having a treat, I don't feel like I need to eat the whole thing. If I'm full, I stop. Before, I would have devoured it all unless I was absolutely stuffed.

As of this morning, I'm 20lbs down. I actually can't believe it, only 11lbs to my goal weight :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Fell off big style for two weeks and gained 2lbs (one each week).

Back on track last week and lost 3.5lbs at weigh in on Wednesday. Cheat meal last night was pizza and wine. Left 1/3 of the pizza, which I'd never do this time last year :pac:

Ilyana, that's fantastic! You're 2/3 of the way there, how class does that feel? :D

Ilyana, that's fantastic! You're 2/3 of the way there, how class does that feel? :D

So very, very good! It's hugely encouraging, I must be doing something right! I'm not depriving myself, cutting out food groups or punishing myself with exercise, and yet it can still be done. I might even have a celebratory glass of wine tonight ;)

Well done on the 3.5lbs, it's almost like the last two weeks didn't happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    So very, very good! It's hugely encouraging, I must be doing something right! I'm not depriving myself, cutting out food groups or punishing myself with exercise, and yet it can still be done. I might even have a celebratory glass of wine tonight ;)

Well done on the 3.5lbs, it's almost like the last two weeks didn't happen!

The epitome of success! A sustainable way of life where you don't have to avoid anything but eat healthily.

The epitome of success! A sustainable way of life where you don't have to avoid anything but eat healthily.

Heh, thanks! That's basically what it is, what I've struggled to adapt to in the past. Keeping the glutton in her box but not feeling deprived for it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Maintaining is still going well! Sometimes it's a struggle to get to 1500 calories (what a white whine!) but I'm ramping up the exercise now so I'm expecting my appetite to increase alongside it.

I definitely need to keep weighing and tracking my food, though. Anytime I estimate, I end up way over my limit. I blame cheese. Delicious, calorie-bomb cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Weighed in this morning at 101.3kg so unfortunately I haven't met my 100kg target. However I am feeling much better both mentally and physically. I've opened up my wardrobe and shirts that I couldn't fit into before and they now fit me perfectly!

I'm going to set a somewhat easier target now for the next month. I'll have a weigh in on Tuesday the 23th of May and I hope to be under 98kg at that stage.

Down to 96.5kg now...Euro 2016 will be the next big test and I'm flying Saturday, will try and keep off the beer and stick to vodka/whiskey and see how that goes.

I'm down another 7 pounds, at another half stone mark. I've lost 21 pounds so far since st patrick's day which I'm happy with.

Another 21 pounds to go. I'm on holidays next month and i would like to lose another 7 pounds in three weeks before i go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 roykO

Started weight training a two months ago. Diet hasn't been but not bad in general. Been training hard when I do.

Clothes fit a lot better and I look much better, but I've gone up 2kg's from 94 to 96! I'm only 5'9. I've always been heavy, while not necessarily being fat. I don't get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

What are your measurements like? If your clothes fit better you're probably dropping fat. Well done!

If you're training hard the increase is most likely muscle not fat.

You should therefore see a decrease in your body fat %. Don't worry too much about the scales.

• Advertisement

You won't put on 2kg of muscle in two months but that's neither here nor there. It can depend on a lot of things. Some days I can be at least a kilo above my normal weight due to things like holding water etc.

They key thing isn't the number on the scales but how your clothes feel on you and how you look. Take photos of yourself every month say and just keep working on improving your diet and keep up the weightlifting if you enjoy it. You will reap the rewards by looking and feeling better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 roykO

I actually have pictures. One of two and half months ago and one this morning. There is a very noticeable difference! And I weighed myself this morning and I was 94kg again!

Thanks for the replies.

roykO wrote: »
    I actually have pictures. One of two and half months ago and one this morning. There is a very noticeable difference! And I weighed myself this morning and I was 94kg again!

Thanks for the replies.

There you go. Problem solved!

I went a couple of weeks weighing myself first thing in the morning just to see if my weight fluctuated much across a week. It can fluctuate up to 1.5kg across a week but my weight is stable overall.

If you're going to weigh yourself, do it at the same time of day each time.

And well done on the improvement!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Apologies to the dudes on this thread, this is a girly problem.

Periods, augh!!! I know it's temporary bloating, but the heavy feeling and sudden 3 pound (overnight) weight gain is wrecking my weight loss buzz :( I was doing well this week until this hit.

Do the rest you (girls, obvs) experience bloating and weight gain on your period?

cactusgal wrote: »

Periods, augh!!! I know it's temporary bloating, but the heavy feeling and sudden 3 pound (overnight) weight gain is wrecking my weight loss buzz :( I was doing well this week until this hit.

Do the rest you (girls, obvs) experience bloating and weight gain on your period?

Yep I hear ya! Over a few days I could pack on an extra couple lbs, thankfully it's only temporary but feel awful for it at the time!

cactusgal wrote: »

Oh yeah I definitely bloat a lot. I usually maintain my weight that week rather than gain anything, but the desire to eat rings around myself is what bothers me more than anything. Temporary water weight I can handle, the desire to wolf down a family size Galaxy, not so much!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Anyone mind if I join in here? I already see a lot of familiar faces :). I'm trying to lose a bit of weight through the trusty CICO, so I'm just tracking everything I eat, weighing my food, cooking at home as often as I can and just trying to make healthier choices. I'm exercising by biking to work 2-3 times a week (20KM per day) and not eating back those calories. The calories burned through exercise allow me to relax at the weekend a bit :).

I'm down 6lbs in 2.5 weeks, which I'm delighted with. I'm expecting that to slow down significantly now, but I'd be delighted with a 1lb per week loss. Aiming for roughly a 25lb loss in total, at which point I might switch to building muscle as a priority over weight loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I'm at the "building muscle during maintenance" stage right now, and tbh I wish I'd started focusing on strength sooner! I wasn't really physically able to, my physio instructed me to take it relatively easy until now, but if I'd had the choice....

Right now I'm at my goal weight, which is fantastic, but my body composition is not at all what I want. There's too much fat and not enough muscle. I think if I had focused on gaining strength earlier on, I may have slowed down the losses on the scales, but my muscle to fat ratio might be a lot more favourable.

Having said that, there were lots of changes to get used to during CICO, so perhaps adding a strength program as well may have been overwhelming and I might have given up. It's hard to know! If getting used to CICO is a simple thing for you to get used to, maybe consider some strength work sooner than originally planned :)

The more weight I lose, the more I'm seeing that even though I'll be much smaller when I'm done, I'll still be flabby everywhere except my calves :pac:

I'd like to get further definition in my thighs and upper arms. I'm way too young for the bingo wings I'm currently sporting! A gym membership is out of my budget right now, but we'll see in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

I have started using kayla itsines body bikini guide. You do have to pay for it but there are pdf versions of the first one online if you google it. It's for 12 weeks and you need minimal equipment. On instragram there is a massive community showing their progress.

Advertisement