Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I can't afford a gym either, so I'm doing Strong Curves (the pdfs are free online, but the book has some good info too) and an upper body workout I found online too. I've heard good things about Kayla Itsines too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

jokettle wrote: »
    I'm at the "building muscle during maintenance" stage right now, and tbh I wish I'd started focusing on strength sooner! I wasn't really physically able to, my physio instructed me to take it relatively easy until now, but if I'd had the choice....

Right now I'm at my goal weight, which is fantastic, but my body composition is not at all what I want. There's too much fat and not enough muscle. I think if I had focused on gaining strength earlier on, I may have slowed down the losses on the scales, but my muscle to fat ratio might be a lot more favourable.

Having said that, there were lots of changes to get used to during CICO, so perhaps adding a strength program as well may have been overwhelming and I might have given up. It's hard to know! If getting used to CICO is a simple thing for you to get used to, maybe consider some strength work sooner than originally planned :)

Congratulations for getting to the maintenance phase! That's such good work. It can't have been too easy, so well done!

For me, it's totally psychological. Many years ago now, I got motivated to lose weight. I tracked everything I ate and went to the gym ~4 times a week, mixing strength and cardio. Everyone was telling me how much weight I'd lost, and how great I looked, but at the end of 3 months, the scales was only showing about a 10lb loss. Of course, this was before I knew about progress pictures, but mentally I was convinced it had been largely a waste of time because the scales wasn't saying what I wanted it to :o. I fell off the wagon and gained all the weight back!

So I know I'm vulnerable to being discouraged if the scales isn't showing what I want it to, so I'm putting weight training off until I'm more happy with the number on the scales :). It's probably a flawed plan, but I'm okay with that!

(Also, moving countries in a couple of months doesn't lend itself well to joining a gym or having the time to attend regular classes, and I don't want that sense of failure to discourage me too!).

That's a sound plan, Faith :) My main motivator during weight loss was the steady decrease on the scales, so I feel you there!

I've raved before about the Happy Scale app (iphone only, the android version is Libra) which takes your weigh-in data and smoothes it out. So instead of having those natural spiky ups and downs, you get a lovely smooth downward curve :) Great for data nerds! It also gives you a prediction of when you should reach goal weight, and their prediction is (imo) more realistic that that given by My Fitness Pal. The more data you give it, the more accurate it is. Would highly recommend!

Ooh I love apps! I downloaded it and it looks great :). It's a bit overly optimistic right now, because 6lbs in 2.5 weeks is not sustainable! But i think it will be a great motivator when things start to slow down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

The best thing about losing weight. Making and cooking your own meals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

Long-term persistence of adaptive thermogenesis in subjects who have maintained a reduced body weight

Interesting study:

BACKGROUND:
    After weight loss, total energy expenditure -- in particular, energy expenditure at low levels of physical activity -- is lower than predicted by actual changes in body weight and composition.

CONCLUSION:
    Declines in energy expenditure favoring the regain of lost weight persist well beyond the period of dynamic weight loss

So basically your metabolism slows right down after weight loss and its easier to put back on weight.

Obese people may never be able to shift their extra pounds no matter how much they diet and exercise because their body has been reprogrammed to be overweight, a new study suggests.

Down another 1.2 lbs this week! 7.5 lbs down since I started 3 weeks ago, so I'm delighted. Even more so because I didn't get any exercise in this week!

It's safe to say that today will be a cheat day :eek:. My husband arrived in with a massive croissant/scone thing for me, and we're going for brunch and a brewery tour later. I'll try to off-set it with at least 3 day cycling to work next week, which cumulatively would burn around 1,500 calories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Has anyone else here find themselves being asked if they want full or half portions as they got thinner? Never happened before, in restaurants I mean,people who don't know me. Do I suddenly look like someone who doesn't eat big or am I reading too much into it?ðŸ˜႒

I don't think I have ever been asked if I want a half portion! Unless it's explicitly stated on a menu that both are available.

I'm up 0.5 lbs this week :mad:. I'm so annoyed and disappointed. It wasn't the best week, calorically, I admit that. I did track everything though, ad I'm still under my TDEE by about 1,000 calories overall so I definitely didn't expect a gain :(.

I don't cope well with failure, so I'll be spending the day battling the urge to rage quit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Faith wrote: »
    I don't think I have ever been asked if I want a half portion! Unless it's explicitly stated on a menu that both are available.

I'm up 0.5 lbs this week :mad:. I'm so annoyed and disappointed. It wasn't the best week, calorically, I admit that. I did track everything though, ad I'm still under my TDEE by about 1,000 calories overall so I definitely didn't expect a gain :(.

I don't cope well with failure, so I'll be spending the day battling the urge to rage quit!

Half a pound is nothing, could be a result of loads of things, including time of the month. It's one weigh-in - don't lose heart!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,920 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Could be hormones. Could be just water. You could be down that 0.5 when you get up in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Dooooon't quit! You're just having a glitch, that's all. It is really annoying to see a gain on the scale but if I do, I know it's down to either menstruation or not being strict enough with myself. One passes, and I know what to do about the other. You'll be fine :)

As of this morning, I'm down 24lbs. Only 9lbs to go and I'm equal parts 'Oh, so close now!' and 'I want to be at my goal weight NOW' :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You can't look at a half pound over a week in isolation. Keep going and trends will be in one direction regardless of the odd blip on the scales.

It could be a number of things and it's only half a pound. Half a pound is nothing. Its less than the difference of a visit to the jacks!

Thanks all :o. This is a lovely thread! I have an IUD so it's not a hormonal thing, but it could be bloating. I'm eating a lot more fibre and my body is having a bit of a hard time getting used to it!

Ilyana, that's a brilliant success so far! You'll be at your goal weight in no time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Thanks all :o. This is a lovely thread! I have an IUD so it's not a hormonal thing, but it could be bloating. I'm eating a lot more fibre and my body is having a bit of a hard time getting used to it!

Ilyana, that's a brilliant success so far! You'll be at your goal weight in no time :)

Could be exercise related too. I find my weight goes up by anything up to a couple of pounds when I'm stiff and sore from a hard match or a race. Inflamed muscles hold on to water.

I'm still here, tipping away. I am stuck in a bit of a frustrating pattern, where I lose 1-2 lbs, then the next week there's a gain of 0.5-1lb, then a loss... I'm weighing myself every day to track with HappyScale, but only taking one 'official' weigh-in a week that gets entered into MFP. Overall, I've lost 8.2lbs, but only 2lbs in the last few weeks (next 'official' weigh-in is tomorrow). Even if I'm down 1lb tomorrow, that's only a maximum of 3lbs in 4 weeks, despite consistently being on or under my net calorie goal per week. I should be losing 1lb per week consistently. It's not like I'm down to the final few lbs; it's still pretty early days and I should be able to lose consistently. Anywho, this is just a vent :). I know it'll all work out if I stick with it, but damn it's nothing if not frustrating!

I had one month where I lost nothing, despite staying at 1200 calories (which in retrospect was probably too low for a relatively active 5'7 woman). The month after that, I lost almost 6 pounds. It always catches up :) I also had one month where I lost 8 pounds! That was early on, so probably at least half was water weight.

My point is, it'll all smooth out eventually. Trust in the process! You're doing all the right things.

Incidentally, a few days ago I was up 4 pounds. I was distraught; I'm meant to be maintaining! Then, boom, period. This shouldn't have been a surprise; I'm on the pill, I know exactly when I'm due, but every month I'm caught out. Anyway, as of this morning, 3 of those pounds are gone and by next week the other one will be too. So bear in mind water weight of your cycle.

Thanks jo, it's always good to read the experiences of others!

It'll all work out eventually! I know it's so hard to keep going when you're not seeing results, but those 8.2lbs still came off so you must be doing something right. During April I bounced between the same 3lb range for what felt like forever, and I finished the month only 2lbs lighter than when I started. Thankfully something clicked and in the first week of May, 4lbs came off. Have faith :p

I'm currently 25lbs down, and I feel like my rate of loss is starting to slow now that I'm under 10st. It's a little annoying because I am doing my best to have a 3,500cal+ deficit each week but I think it's just a fact I'm going to have to live with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 acc2016

Portion sizes are incredibly important.

For example, I am staying in my friends house while they are away; the small bowls I used the last few days for porridge were filthy, so I was too lazy to wash them and treated myself to a large bowl of porridge but also weighed it on the scales, curious to get a better idea of how many calories one could consume in such a large bowl.

I am very full and will have to cut down for the rest of the day to make up for it, here is why:

CALORIES IN SMALL BOWL (15CM) OF PORRIDGE WITH MILK: 280
    52g porridge oats: 192 calories
    168ml milk low fat: 71 calories
    5g honey: 17 calories
    TOTAL: 280 calories

CALORIES IN LARGE BOWL OF PORRIDGE WITH MILK: 863
    166g porridge oats: 622 calories
    456ml milk: 190 calories
    15g honey: 51 calories
    TOTAL: 863 calories

So that is 583 calories of a difference, if somebody was used to eating such a large bowl and did that every day , 583 * 7 = 4087 calories extra a week or approx 0.5kg (using the 3500 calorie per pound of weight loss/gain rule). Over six months that would be an extra 12kg gained based on that portion of porridge alone.

• Advertisement

I don't think I could physically eat 166g of oats! I'd hit a wall long, long before that. It's a good point though, we do so much eating with our eyes. A half-empty bowl looks a lot less filling than the exact same quantity in a much smaller bowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 acc2016

I don't think I could physically eat 166g of oats! I'd hit a wall long, long before that. It's a good point though, we do so much eating with our eyes. A half-empty bowl looks a lot less filling than the exact same quantity in a much smaller bowl.

Yup, and ended up going to family for sunday dinner and dessert, so ill write today off as a cheat day; although I did get a 10k walk in to offset some of the damage :)

Back to it tomorrow, A lowish calorie day tomorrow should balance it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Down to 96.5kg now...Euro 2016 will be the next big test and I'm flying Saturday, will try and keep off the beer and stick to vodka/whiskey and see how that goes.

A month on and I'm hitting the scales at 98k. While I would love to use the excuse of Euro 2016 I came back and weighed myself at roughly the same weight as when I went.

In last two weeks I've noticed my weight is steadily creeping back up. Perhaps I've lost a little disciple in that when I eat out I now order chips as opposed to a salad or brown bread. I've also slipped back into the habit of eating more when I'm at home (no offense mammy:rolleyes:). I've also put in an extra night or two over the last few weeks which definitely wouldn't have helped.

It's an important juncture for me now as I will have to rejuvenate my efforts. This is where I've failed in the past. It's easy to initially get your weight down but it's after the enthusiasm of that initial progress has weaned is the difficult part.

It's easy to initially get your weight down but it's after the enthusiasm of that initial progress has weaned is the difficult part.

It absolutely is hard to maintain. That's where I always fail too, and I end up putting the weight back on. Do you track your food? I am setting myself goals around tracking now, because when I stop tracking, i get complacent and that's when the weight goes back on.

Right now, I'm aiming for a 100-day streak of tracking my intake on MFP. Today is Day 50, and it really is a habit now. As soon as I eat something, I reach for the phone and input it. It's not a magic solution that stops me going over my calories, but it definitely makes me think about whether to eat that snack or not.

I tend to log my food in advance so I know exactly how many calories I have left over in a day for any 'extras'. I eat the same breakfast and lunch everyday and plan out dinners 5-6 days in advance. I log on a Sunday for the week ahead, and it really helps to keep me on track. It's rare that I'll spontaneously eat something 'off-plan' and then end up going over my calories for the day because I'll know exactly how many I had to play with in the first place.

Logging in advance helped me too. But once that rush of starting a new way of eating and weighing foods and coming up with recipes etc wore off, I needed some extra motivation (especially for those weeks where the scale didn't move, or worse, moved in the wrong direction!). I started taking measurements, and my only regret is not doing that at the very beginning. Seeing my waist shrink with the tape measure, even if the scales weren't showing change or I couldn't see it in the mirror, really helped me trust in the calories in, calories out process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

It absolutely is hard to maintain. That's where I always fail too, and I end up putting the weight back on. Do you track your food? I am setting myself goals around tracking now, because when I stop tracking, i get complacent and that's when the weight goes back on.

Right now, I'm aiming for a 100-day streak of tracking my intake on MFP. Today is Day 50, and it really is a habit now. As soon as I eat something, I reach for the phone and input it. It's not a magic solution that stops me going over my calories, but it definitely makes me think about whether to eat that snack or not.

No to be honest I don't really track my food. While I know it's the correct method for weight loss I just find it so restricting writing everything I eat down. To me it just sucks the joy out of life completely. Maybe it's something I need to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

No to be honest I don't really track my food. While I know it's the correct method for weight loss I just find it so restricting writing everything I eat down. To me it just sucks the joy out of life completely. Maybe it's something I need to look at.

It's not really a big deal once you get into it. You have a database of foods you eat, tick the box and enter. It becomes so quick and easy that the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

At it's worst, it still doesn't suck the enjoyment out of life.

Woop woop, I broke through my plateau! Down 2.2 lbs this morning, bringing my total loss to date to 10.6 lbs :). My next personal goal is 12 lbs lost, and when I hit that, I can buy a Fitbit, so only 1.5 lbs to go! I'm feeling motivated to try and drop that bit next week... Hopefully I can do it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Back from holidays a week, where my diet went out the window during my holidays.

Why is it so hard to get back on track?

Gonna have to spend the weekend planning for next week.

Advertisement