Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Kinda forgot to post here :o

I lost 4.5lbs at my weigh in last Wednesday. Biggest loss I've had for months.

I'm now at my lowest ever adult weight. Still plenty more to get off me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Hi folks!

I never really post here much, but here I go 😠I went from 12st 2lbs to 9st 9lbs over the last year, but really dropped the ball over the past few months, especially the last few weeks :/ got back to tracking what I eat and exercising this week, weighed myself today and I'm 10st 1lb, much better than I expected! I'd love to get down to the 9st 3/4lbs mark, slowly but surely from here on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I have been a religious follower of Slimming World for two years but since I came back from holidays, I keep gaining weight, yet I am following the plan (gained 1/2 a stone in 2 months :() so I want to try something else.

I am considering calorie counting from tomorrow, MFP seems to always suggest 1200 calories but I fear I will struggle on this. Can I get suggestions for what you all tend to have for breakfast, lunch & snacks during the day because I fear myself and the fruit don't go hand in hand... I tend to get hungry through the workday.

Any suggestions welcome as I feel so down at the moment :( I ideally would love to lose possibly another stone or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Vahevala wrote: »
    I have been a religious follower of Slimming World for two years but since I came back from holidays, I keep gaining weight, yet I am following the plan (gained 1/2 a stone in 2 months :() so I want to try something else.

I am considering calorie counting from tomorrow, MFP seems to always suggest 1200 calories but I fear I will struggle on this. Can I get suggestions for what you all tend to have for breakfast, lunch & snacks during the day because I fear myself and the fruit don't go hand in hand... I tend to get hungry through the workday.

Any suggestions welcome as I feel so down at the moment :( I ideally would love to lose possibly another stone or so.

You can adjust your calories if you put in how much you weigh and how much you want to lose. Go to "goals" and you'll be able to work it from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I've lost a stone in a month by changing my diet and giving up the booze. For the first week I did a bit every day on the treadmill but I was trying to do too much too fast so I just started going for walks outside instead. I'll gradually ease myself back onto the treadmill now after a good starting month. I used to drink a lot of Club Orange but have replaced it with water and the odd glass of milk with dinner. I had a can of Club Orange last weekend as a treat and couldn't finish it! After being off it for a few weeks you can really taste the sugar in it. I haven't had any alcohol in 5 weeks or a takeaway in 6 and I feel great! I was 11 stone 11ish when I started and I am now down to 10 stone 11lbs, hoping to get down to 10 stone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Hey, I can't remember if I posted here before, but I thought putting a bit of an update down might focus my mind. I'm 5'7 and started of at 16st 9lbs in Jan 2014, was 12st 3lbs in March 2015 using MFP and dropped to 11st 9lbs in September 2015. My schedule changed a good bit and occupational stress went up, and I ended up around 13st 3lbs in August 2016. Logged back into MFP two weeks ago, now back down to 12st 12lbs today. So heartening to see it go back in the right direction. I'm lucky enough in that once I start, it comes off steadily, but I was at a bit of a plateaux at 11st 9lbs. Hoping that does not happen this time, 10st is the goal. But reading back on this, I feel I have come a long way from before!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Weigh day today and down 2lbs! Delighted because that's the rate I want to be losing at. Worked hard in the gym and ate plenty, didnt feel hungry once and just ate unprocessed, whole foods. Delighted to be back feeling good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciarak7511

Easy. Run early in the morning. I'm not a morning person but this is a great way to get your metabolism going and will set you up for the day. Then if you want a workout later on you could do some yoga or zumba at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

Really need to start using mfp on a daily basis. Not losing any weight despite calorie reduction etc. Have a lot to loose. Can I ask if you use the basic mfp or do you upgrade to see macros etc. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

snor wrote: »
    Really need to start using mfp on a daily basis. Not losing any weight despite calorie reduction etc. Have a lot to loose. Can I ask if you use the basic mfp or do you upgrade to see macros etc. Many thanks.

I use basic mfp - free version. You can see your macros with it and can adjust them too. The only restriction is that you can only adjust in increments of 5 so you can't set your goal to, say, 42% protein. Would have to be either 40 or 45. Works fine for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I don't see any benefit to paying for the upgrade.

If you believe you're eating below what you should be, and you're not losing weight, then remember to weigh your food so you're sure you're eating what you think you're eating. For instance, eye balling peanut butter could very easily lead to you eating 50g, when you think you're eating 15g. That's over 300 calories compared to 100 calories, and it's very hard to tell by eye what it weighs.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

I'm trying to quit binging and have been reading a good book called brain over binge. The author states that being in a calorie deficit can cause your "animal brain" to go into survival mode and cause urges to eat/binge. Obviously to recover one must start eating normally again, however, I still have about 70 lbs to lose to be a healthy weight for my height. Does anyone have any ideas how to tackle weight loss but eat enough that my brain doesn't fire out those urges to binge? Trying to wrap my head around it is difficult!!! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

From my experience binge eating is rarely because of just one hormone reaction in the brain due to lack of calories, I would suggest getting into your doctor and getting professional help, I've seen a friend battle it and only managed to get it under control after getting help. Dieting is all well and good but it's a lifestyle change is normally necessary.

Makapakka wrote: »
    I'm trying to quit binging and have been reading a good book called brain over binge. The author states that being in a calorie deficit can cause your "animal brain" to go into survival mode and cause urges to eat/binge.

Sorry, I'm going to to just correct that: The author suggests.

Losing weight through a calorie deficit isn't about starving yourself. It's about eating better, healthier food in controlled portions. When you're eating properly, even with a calorie deficit, then those urges are all in your mind. I'm not saying they don't exist, but presuming you're not starving yourself, then there's no real biological basis for them that I know of (although I'm open to being corrected by peer-reviewed sources).

Overcoming the urge to binge is just like breaking any habit (assuming you're not talking about clinical levels of binging). Things like distraction, refocusing your mind, etc. It's the hardest part of weight loss, and I don't know that there's any easy way to get past it.

I deal with the binge urges a lot, and I've figured out why and how to stop it.

Why - if I go long hours without eating, such as skipping breakfast at 5am before work, then not having my lunch til midday. I make bad choices and binge when I skip meals.

To stop it - figure out what meals are big, filling and low calorie. I live off of massive stir fried veggies and meat (no noodles or rice), because it fills me up and is low calorie. As a result, if I'm stuffed from my meals, I simply cannot binge because I'd feel sick!

Last night was awesome. I lost 2.5lbs. I got my next award (I follow skimming world along with calorie and macro tracking), I won slimmer of the month.

And the best part is I had two goals that I set two weeks ago for Christmas. One was to lose 1 stone more, the other was to drop a dress size. I've had to buy smaller clothes this week, so that's one target reached, and I'm only 6.5lbs off my 1 more stone for Christmas goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

I was shopping for rice earlier to see if I could find any "boil in bag" or microwavable rice with portion sizes for one in each bag.

However, the only option I could find were two portions per bag (about 216 calories per portion, so about 430 if one were to eat the whole thing at once).

This was in Tesco.

Anybody know of a convenient one portion options?

I know you can throw the other half into the fridge for the next day - but sometimes I forget its there; then its wasted.

I THINK the frozen Iceland ones are 1 portion per pouch but haven't eaten them so not sure. Might be worth looking.

Lost 1lb Wednesday gone. Doubt I'll lose this coming Wednesday. I haven't been great. Ah well.

Lost 1.5lbs. It seems the weeks I think I'll gain, are the weeks I lose :pac:

Feeling good about myself finally with being back on track and losing every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Down 1lb this morning, am delighted with it as I am now at 2013 weight. I am logging for 14 days on MFP, my aim is to log to Xmas day, which will keep me on the straight and narrow for Xmas

Everyone is doing great! Well done!

I see to just be maintaining at the moment. I keeping gaining and dropping the same pound. To be fair, I'm really not trying too hard :o. I'm relatively disciplined during the week, but the weekends are an absolute mess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

A successful year of weight loss. A year when I not only dropped 2 sizes (on average) but also reached a really high level of fitness. However its 'Christmas' now and it's getting harder to exercise. I feel as though I want to and deserve to indulge. That's very dangerous though. I don't want to have to go through loosing weight again. Looking back at photos I was overweight most of the past ten years,due to ' indulgence'. I never want to go back. Support appreciated, thanksðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Spirogyra wrote: »
    A successful year of weight loss. A year when I not only dropped 2 sizes (on average) but also reached a really high level of fitness. However its 'Christmas' now and it's getting harder to exercise. I feel as though I want to and deserve to indulge. That's very dangerous though. I don't want to have to go through loosing weight again. Looking back at photos I was overweight most of the past ten years,due to ' indulgence'. I never want to go back. Support appreciated, thanksðŸ˜႒

Just because the advertising has kicked off, it's still 5 weeks to Christmas so it's a bit early to start the Christmas indulgence.

There's a couple of things I tried to minimise the giving in to temptation. First one was setting a window for when Christmas was. Until then it's pretty much normal service. That doesn't mean you can't have any of the sweets that will inevitably be doing the rounds but you need to just be smart. If someone has sweets in work, decide what your favourite is, pick it and go. As opposed to just going over, picking a sweet and eating it, then seeing a nicer one and having that and then seeing your favourite and having that. You're parked there then and before you know it you've had half a dozen.

And thats kind of a key to Christmas: being more mindful about what you eat in the sense that you're choosing to eat what you eat rather than finding yourself having eaten a load of stuff.

Which will find you not eating mince pies for breakfast just because. Maybe decide you will leave the Christmas niceties until after 4pm or something and then be sensible about it thereafter.

Indulge. You just don't need to OVER indulge to enjoy Christmas. People eat all of the everything because it's December rather than because they want to. Making choices out of what's there works well.

Just some thoughts on what helped me make better choices :)

Thanks,that sounds like good advice. It's been great to look slim and look nice in nice clothes. The challenge now is to maintain it. I don't want to go back.....
    Just because the advertising has kicked off, it's still 5 weeks to Christmas so it's a bit early to start the Christmas indulgence.

There's a couple of things I tried to minimise the giving in to temptation. First one was setting a window for when Christmas was. Until then it's pretty much normal service. That doesn't mean you can't have any of the sweets that will inevitably be doing the rounds but you need to just be smart. If someone has sweets in work, decide what your favourite is, pick it and go. As opposed to just going over, picking a sweet and eating it, then seeing a nicer one and having that and then seeing your favourite and having that. You're parked there then and before you know it you've had half a dozen.

And thats kind of a key to Christmas: being more mindful about what you eat in the sense that you're choosing to eat what you eat rather than finding yourself having eaten a load of stuff.

Which will find you not eating mince pies for breakfast just because. Maybe decide you will leave the Christmas niceties until after 4pm or something and then be sensible about it thereafter.

Indulge. You just don't need to OVER indulge to enjoy Christmas. People eat all of the everything because it's December rather than because they want to. Making choices out of what's there works well.

Just some thoughts on what helped me make better choices :)

The one area where fat does remain though is the abdomen

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's a tough one because the body dictates where it sheds the fat from. You can still shed it though but it requires being in a deficit and more discipline.

Amazing how well stock flavours vegetables, otherwise 'horrible' green vegetablesðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Hey guys, dropping by here for the first time. I'd like to lose some weight slowly and steadily. I've slowly gained about 6 kilos in the last year, leaving me with a current BMI of 24.4. I'm a relatively active person but have just taken to making very poor nutritional choices and getting lazy with my meals and cooking. I'm wary of fad diets and crash-dieting and I don't want to do that at all, I'd rather re-learn how to feed myself properly and not reward myself with food. I'm also wary of Christmas looming, where I work there is constantly a tin of roses open and at Christmas it's like a sweet shop. We often have to skip breaks and I don't want to end up caving and stuffing my face with chocolate instead of proper food, which I have absolutely done before.

Will lurk here and hopefully soak up some of the good advice and experience.

Learning to cook for myself has made a huge difference, takes a lot of time ,as well as trial and error but so worth it

Am in fear of putting weight back on...leave meals slightly hungry....

• Advertisement

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Am in fear of putting weight back on...leave meals slightly hungry....

Do you track your food intake using something like MyFitnessPal? I find it's very useful. I used to stop tracking once I'd successfully lost weight, but I have been tracking for over 180 days nonstop now. It helped me just maintain my weight during a very stressful period. The act of logging and taking responsibility for what I'm putting in my mouth helps me to really think about food, and whether or not I really want to eat that high-calorie snack/meal.

Advertisement