Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Weighed myself last Thursday and was at highest I've been all year. I gave myself a goal to get back down to what I was at new years 2016 n I'm down 3 lbs so far :) two more pounds to go and I'll be there. I'll then set another goal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Am in fear of putting weight back on...leave meals slightly hungry....

You need to address this. Physically and mentally.

For a start, you could try bulking up your meals with food that have a low energy density, ie lots of veg doesn't have a lot of calories.

You may also need to address your protein and fat intake as both have a higher level of satiety.

But you ultimately can't live in fear of the number on the scales. By all means eat healthily but living with fear/stress about putting on weight certainly won't help and it's not a good place to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Am in fear of putting weight back on...leave meals slightly hungry....
    Spirogyra i was the same, ive dropped just under 7 stone and struggled when i got to my goal, it looked like i was gaining weight on the scales but in reality i was toning up and gaining muscle, I was terrified Id end up morbidly obese again.
    I spoke to a personal trainer and he suggested i speak to my doctor and nutritionist. apparently its really common. that or people get really excited about being able to eat 'normally' again and over do it.

maybe look at goals other than weight goals, i only weigh myself once a month now. and do measurements as well. and things like my running times etc to keep in mind my body is different to how it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

It's my natural tendency to binge on food,simply is. I eat pretty healthily now but its my natural instinct to overeat.

Down 7lbs since 17th November:)

• Advertisement

So my motivation is pretty high at the moment and I'm hoping it will stay like that for a while. I'm going away next summer and want to start working on that bikini body now! Has anyone ever lost a good amount of weight for a holiday? Did you increase your exercise as time goes on? I mean I know HOW to lose weight, but I'd just like to hear people's stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Makkapakka I have 2 stone off and held if off now for a year and a half. Ive lost weight 100's of times before so I am delighted I held it off.

I just plan everything really. Exercise (weights, 3 times a week and after that anything else I do is a bonus) and foodwise I stick to 3meals and 2 snacks a day. I probably could be slimmer but I like my few glasses of wine at the weekend so I am grand and happy.

If you have a lot to lose and the motivation is high, i would highly recommend journalling. It makes a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Just down a 1lb this morning, am pleased as it's going in right direction and I was away for the weekend.

I am finding the tracking on My Fitness Pal definitely keeping me on track.

I have given my self a goal to stay under 11 for the month of December, don't want to be back at square 1 in January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Wellywoo

I know it's not the normal time of year to be addressing this but I literally cannot look at myself anymore.

Up to two years ago I exercised all my life, loved it, then life as I knew it came crashing down around my ears and here I am, 2.5stone heavier, the heaviest I've ever been in my life. :(

Despite the self loathing I seem unable to get started with anything, either eating healthy or getting back to exercise. I would appreciate any ideas on how to take the first step to weight loss, it's psychological I know because obviously I know I could stop comfort eating and start exercising but there is a huge block in my way and I've no idea how to get past it. I live alone so that's why I'm here for hoping for support. :o

Wellywoo wrote: »
    I know it's not the normal time of year to be addressing this but I literally cannot look at myself anymore.

Up to two years ago I exercised all my life, loved it, then life as I knew it came crashing down around my ears and here I am, 2.5stone heavier, the heaviest I've ever been in my life. :(

Despite the self loathing I seem unable to get started with anything, either eating healthy or getting back to exercise. I would appreciate any ideas on how to take the first step to weight loss, it's psychological I know because obviously I know I could stop comfort eating and start exercising but there is a huge block in my way and I've no idea how to get past it. I live alone so that's why I'm here for hoping for support. :o

Pick on thing to change and start tomorrow. It doesn't have to be a big deal, just a change for the better.

Not having the bar with lunch. Half the number of biscuits with the cuppa...anything.

Just start with one little thing. Then build on it with another little thing. And then another little thing.

Sometimes the changes to our lifestyle to get to where we want to be seem overwhelming. So start with something small and build on it.

The old saying that the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step is apt. You can cover a big distance with a lot of small steps.

So tonight, think of some small change you can make and resolve to do it tomorrow.

Then do it tomorrow. Doing it will make you feel good. That will help you think of another small change you can make and when you do that, you'll feel like you're building momentum.

This is a great thread for support so tap into that support and good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Like Alf said, small changes. Cut out the biccies with your tea for a week. Then cut out the bar of chocolate at night for a week. And so on. One thing at a time, until one day you'll notice your clothes are looser :)

And if you have one bad day, don't forget that there are six more days in the week, so you can probably undo any damage!

When you're ready, start making some small changes. You can do it :)

Forgot to post here for a bit. Oops. 1lb off last week, 2lbs off tonight. Have a little mini target set for Christmas, so need another 2lbs off to hit that. :)

Whether that'll happen or not, I dunno. Group party Friday, wedding the following Friday, work party the day after the wedding :o

This is a great thread for support so tap into that support and good luck :)

Thanks very much for the advice Alf, much appreciated. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Decided to make a small packet of MnM's my Sunday treat while watching animal planet! :D Other than that, I'm really trying to make an effort not to eat rubbish. (Home made tea break and boiled fruit cake coming up to Christmas is excluded! Haha - but in moderation!)

I've signed up to join the pool for three months so I really need to get going to that. I just hate going when it's busy so I need to work out the best times to go. I'm also doing about 15 minutes most days of push-ups and lunges. I want to build up my core as I have a bad back from pulling it last year.

It's been really frustrating having to adjust my exercises, but the physiotherapist suggested building up my core so I'm doing the exercises slowly to make sure I maintain form. I had to postpone martial arts though my physiotherapist said it wasn't really going to effect my back as long as I was taking it easy. Making a more of an effort to do yoga too.

I'm only 23 and it drives me insane that I strained my back in work. It's been over a year now and it's still healing!

Lost 4.5lbs this week and I'm in shock still. I think i may have been dehydrated or something because I'd been on the lash twice last week, although was pretty good with the rest of the week's calorie counting and carb intake!

Hopefully I'll lose over Christmas, but if not, I'm 4lbs lighter than I wanted to be for Christmas, so I have a few lbs I can gain without being too gutted :o

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

Lost 4.5lbs this week and I'm in shock still. I think i may have been dehydrated or something because I'd been on the lash twice last week, although was pretty good with the rest of the week's calorie counting and carb intake!

Hopefully I'll lose over Christmas, but if not, I'm 4lbs lighter than I wanted to be for Christmas, so I have a few lbs I can gain without being too gutted :o

I wouldn't be relying on a weekly weigh in, it can vary wildly from one day to the next depending on sodium, food, and/or water intake, dehydration status.

Better to look at an average over a week.

I wouldn't be relying on a weekly weigh in, it can vary wildly from one day to the next depending on sodium, food, and/or water intake, dehydration status.

Better to look at an average over a week.

Huh? Don't look at it weekly, but average it over a week? :pac: do you mean over a month?

I've always weighed weekly, and it works fine for me. Same time, same clothes, same amount of food eaten and water/coffee consumed each time. Over a month it's like 4-8lbs per month depending on how strict I've been. Some months, I'll lose more, some less.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Huh? Don't look at it weekly, but average it over a week? :pac: do you mean over a month?

I've always weighed weekly, and it works fine for me. Same time, same clothes, same amount of food eaten and water/coffee consumed each time. Over a month it's like 4-8lbs per month depending on how strict I've been. Some months, I'll lose more, some less.

I think they mean take a weigh in daily and then take the average for 7 days rather than stepping on the scale once a week and taking that number as gospel. You'll get a more accurate reading with it being an average.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I think they mean take a weigh in daily and then take the average for 7 days rather than stepping on the scale once a week and taking that number as gospel. You'll get a more accurate reading with it being an average.

Exactly.

That's cool. But the previous day or twos intake can effect things not just that day.. But over a few weekly weigh ins you'll get a good picture anyway so no worries

That's cool. But the previous day or twos intake can effect things not just that day.. But over a few weekly weigh ins you'll get a good picture anyway so no worries

I misunderstood your "average over a week" thing, my apologies!

I know that even a big meal the night before can affect the scales (or a light meal!). It averages at 4-8lbs a month most months, so I'm sure I'll have a gain next week and average out at a 2-3lb loss for the fortnight :) til then, I'll take the nice number on the scales :o

• Advertisement

It's the trend that counts.

Anyone else still eating crap? Ha

Makapakka wrote: »

I'm eating crap while writing out healthy meal plans...........:D

Wellywoo wrote: »
    I'm eating crap while writing out healthy meal plans...........:D

That's my plan for tomorrow (writing out the plans haha)

Makapakka wrote: »

In all honesty no, did the dog on it Stephens day but had to call into work the day after so that brought me back to reality, was actually grand Christmas Day as well coz I'd a really fitted dress on was gutted I didn't get to munch on as just stuffing as I wanted!!

Will be munching again tomorrow but other than that I've been grand!

Let 2017 be the year of maintaining and hopefully skin surgery !

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sheeply

Weighed myself on a friend's scales last night for the first time since end of August, down 12 lbs! July - August I lost 11 lbs also, so was pleased to end 2016 with a 23 lbs weight loss. Still a long way to go with the weight but hoping I can continue this into 2017.

In all honesty no, did the dog on it Stephens day but had to call into work the day after so that brought me back to reality, was actually grand Christmas Day as well coz I'd a really fitted dress on was gutted I didn't get to munch on as just stuffing as I wanted!!

What kind of skin surgery? What's the typical amount of weight loss that requires this.

I've lost alot but not sure if I need it. Still a few kgs to drop though

What kind of skin surgery? What's the typical amount of weight loss that requires this.

It's usually a quite large loss that requires it, especially if you've been big for years and lose the weight quickly.

I've lost 3.5 stone in the past 12 months, and several stone a few years before that. So far, I've only got a small amount of loose skin on my upper arms and tummy, nothing even close to requiring surgery, nobody bar me notices it.

When I lose my final 3-3.5 stone, I may need it on my arms, but I'm hoping plenty of exercise and losing slowly will prevent it!

Gained 2lbs over Christmas week. Averages at a 7lb loss this month, if I remember correctly. That's absolutely fine by me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I lost a few pounds last year but put all back on again after my holiday in the summer.

I'm back to trying to lose weight again and tracking everything.

I'm doing way better than last year. I didn't start my resolution until April. I guess I just wasn't motivated enough.

Today was a good day, tracking everything on my fitness pal and had a 30 minute walk this evening. I would like to join a gym, I was obsessed with going a few years ago but I was always a morning person. Joined a gym when I was in college and the evening came and I didn't even go. I don't want the same thing again and waste the gym membership. I might hold off for a few weeks. If I can get out and walk a few evenings a week, I think I can manage the gym in the evenings.

• Advertisement

I've no idea to be honest I've lost seven stone over the past year and a half ish.
    I'm only 5ft so small so it shows pretty bad.
    My stomach is the worse from my lower back it hangs to my front my legs are actually okay and my arms arnt too bad. It my boobies, my poor poor boobies...
    The lift I want is a midsection lift.

The only way you know is if you need it or want it.
    The skin on my stomach interferes with my day to day life in terms of dressing, exercising and stuff. The boobs it's vanity I just want them to be full again.
    Speak to your gp or trainer etc they can advise

Advertisement