Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I'm pretty sure you have to lose near 50% or your body weight or fat % before you are eligible for surgery. Although I'm sure every case would be indidually assessed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you have to lose near 50% or your body weight or fat % before you are eligible for surgery. Although I'm sure every case would be indidually assessed

Is that if it's done via your health insurance?
    I'm nowhere near 50% of my original body weight and am still considered obese via the bmi chart but have been approved...

I'm nowhere near 50% of my original body weight and am still considered obese via the bmi chart but have been approved...

I have no idea and I'm certainly no expert. I'd say a quick call to your gp would help you out.

Dtp1979 wrote: »

I have no idea and I'm certainly no expert. I'd say a quick call to your gp would help you out.

Like I said I've been approved for surgery and don't meet those requirements you've listed that's why I've questioned it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I don't think the 50% thing is a requirement in Ireland. I think it's just a case that you have to show and prove that the skin is negatively affecting your life, IE making it difficult to exercise because of chafing, making it difficult to move or stretch as you usually would and so on.

• Advertisement

Yeah for me to have lost 50% I would need another 3 stone minimum going from 20 odd stone to my current weight was tough enough and keeping it off will be harder with the skin as it is... running long distances is torture due to the chafing. I may never be 10 stone or less which would be the 50% make but I fit easily into a size 12-14 pants and a 10-12 on top am strong and healthy and my doc is happy so I'm all good. If it gets chopped off I'll be even happier. I've always wanted one of those Taylor swift type high waisted bikinis!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sheeply

Yeah for me to have lost 50% I would need another 3 stone minimum going from 20 odd stone to my current weight was tough enough and keeping it off will be harder with the skin as it is... running long distances is torture due to the chafing. I may never be 10 stone or less which would be the 50% make but I fit easily into a size 12-14 pants and a 10-12 on top am strong and healthy and my doc is happy so I'm all good. If it gets chopped off I'll be even happier. I've always wanted one of those Taylor swift type high waisted bikinis!

Good for you! That's an amazing achievement. I'm sure the loose skin weighs a fair amount in and of itself also!

Ah ''tis hardly three odd stone. I wish! My gp told me to get to the 12 stone mark and he'd be happy once my body was stone and healthy, I have a good percentage of body fat v muscle mass sting heart etc.
    I'm what most people would describe as normal size I'm not thin, I'll never be thin but I'm not fat anymore either. I ran my first half marathon this autumn I might always be chubby or not a size ten but I'm happy now with my body. Except my sad sad boobies and the apron of skin around my back and stomach so off it goes.

Ah ''tis hardly three odd stone. I wish! My gp told me to get to the 12 stone mark and he'd be happy once my body was stone and healthy, I have a good percentage of body fat v muscle mass sting heart etc.
    I'm what most people would describe as normal size I'm not thin, I'll never be thin but I'm not fat anymore either. I ran my first half marathon this autumn I might always be chubby or not a size ten but I'm happy now with my body. Except my sad sad boobies and the apron of skin around my back and stomach so off it goes.

It's very inspiring to hear that it's possible. Have lost 1 st 9 lbs, another 5 and a half odd stone to go to reach my goal weight. How did you manage to stay motivated? I find the amount of weight I need to lose so intimidating sometimes.

For me it was hugely intimidating when I first started. My gp refused me the pill as I was so overweight I was too high risk.

I sat back with him and cried. I genuinely didn't know how it had crept up so high I was over 29 stone 29 turning 30 and only 5ft I was quiet literally as wide as I was tall. I started off small i cut out processed food. I still ate loads but stopped eating anything is not cooked myself. I was very lucky that I was in a position to build a strong team of support around me. My gp referred me to a dietian. I also have Crohn's disease so having loads of salads and fruit and veg wasn't an option for me. After about two months I approached a trainer in cork and asked him for help. He was amazing he focused on building up strength and mobility and my confidence in the gym so I wouldn't need to keep paying for Pt sessions, he focused on transferring the knowledge to me so I could workout on my own as effectively.
    I progressed and on bad days I had my friends and family and the trainer and dietian to ring.
    I took it one pound at a time. The first week is the easiest it's the middle where the weight loss slows and it maybe doesn't show on the scale as fast. My dietian didn't let me weight myself more than once a month. She wanted me to focus on health. It was hard but I kept going. Training for my marathon and taking up running was a huge turning point for me in learning how to fuel my body and get stronger and faster.
    There is so much nonsense and opinion out there about diet and exercise I find asking for help from an expert the easiest way.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, how much does this surgery cost?

I only have an estimate as it will depend on where I go what work is needed etc. I know I want the skin removal but I might need a tummy tuck as well (where the muscles are tightened as well) I won't know that until a few weeks out.
    Prices vary around Ireland from 7 grand to just over 11. Most places do a price that includes the removal, tuck, boob job depending on if you just want a lift or implants and then if you are having arms of legs done as well.
    It all varies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Is a gym all that necessary when trying to lose weight. I'm considering joining a gym, it might motivate me. But I know it's mostly down to diet. I'm tracking everything I eat on my fitness pal. The problem is the evenings, I might not go. I'm trying to get out walking a few evenings a week and see if I can manage that. If I can manage that for January, is there any point in spending money for a membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The Raptor wrote: »
    Is a gym all that necessary when trying to lose weight. I'm considering joining a gym, it might motivate me. But I know it's mostly down to diet. I'm tracking everything I eat on my fitness pal. The problem is the evenings, I might not go. I'm trying to get out walking a few evenings a week and see if I can manage that. If I can manage that for January, is there any point in spending money for a membership.

While weight training would be a great addition, the best exercise to do is often the one you'll do regularly, whatever that may be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Don't take on too much at once. Work on your diet for at least a month and see how you get on with that first. Like I said in your AH thread, there's no quick fixes and you have to make changes for the long haul. See if you can stick to logging and coming in under target (on average over a week) on MyFitnessPal first and then look at the next step. But when the time comes, you certainly don't need the gym, there are plenty of exercises you can do for free if you wanted.

It's up to you... I didn't go to a gym for the few couple of months. Then started small with a trainer... mostly HIIT workouts (small sections of really really fast bursts while keeping you're heart rate up) then after a while he moved onto a bit of weights... deadlifts and stuff running is my thing now but he made sure I felt confident in the gym on my own so I would be able to keep up on my own. Try going out for a walk or jog depending on your current fitness level the operation transformation stuff will be starting soon and that's a really good plan. I wouldn't worry about the gym for a while. And you can always find somewhere that takes people on a pay as you go pay per visit type thing if your not sure

How is everyone doing?
    I'm trying to do no sugar for 30 days, started January 2nd. Have made it through day 3. Still surprised at myself given disordered eating problems and severe addiction to chocolate and all types of sugar. I think trying to focus on just this one thing (no added sugar or processed sugar) is helping me stay motivated, rather than taking on a complete lifestyle overhaul all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

sheeply wrote: »
    How is everyone doing?
    I'm trying to do no sugar for 30 days, started January 2nd. Have made it through day 3. Still surprised at myself given disordered eating problems and severe addiction to chocolate and all types of sugar. I think trying to focus on just this one thing (no added sugar or processed sugar) is helping me stay motivated, rather than taking on a complete lifestyle overhaul all at once.

I'm doing the same. I am trying to cut out dairy and chocolate is a big downfall for me so it's very hard. Sugar is hidden in so many things! I haven't been successful yet, even if I have cut down a lot. But tomorrow is a new day and I am gonna try much harder!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Yesterday first day back at work, so weighed myself - up 3 lbs, which i wasn't too bad given how much i ate over the Christmas & no exercise. I am now back on the wagon - she says hopefully. Tracking on myfitness pal, preparing lunch & shopping all done for dinners. Lack of preparation is my big downfall. Drank a litre of water yesterday too

Back to normal eating Tuesday morning for me, I know I have dinner out Friday night but other than that I've my food prepd
    Didn't gain anything over the break so was delighted... only problem I have now is I have that cough that's going around and I don't eat processed foods or sweets and strepsils are so full of **** and sugar and the cough syrup the same so no running or exercise till I'm better.

Let 2017 be the year or maintaining and toning!!! Oh and marathon running!

(WIN ALLLLLLL THE MEDALS)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Bought Biona Rye bread the other day. Not for any gluten free reason, but I was surprised ( and I'm not sure how I didn't look at how much salt there was) but it has 1.2g of salt per 100g. I was pretty surprised at this, but thought it tasted salty.
    Other than that, my healthy eating is going well. In fact, up to yesterday I haven't even had a craving for sweets. But the other day, I noticed it had come back so I'm trying to control it a little.
    My goal is not to lose weight more so to put on a bit of muscle. I'm fairly thin anyway just no real muscle. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Wellywoo

I think I'm addicted to sugar. The cravings are unnatural, this is worse than when I gave up cigarettes, probably because I'm replacing it with nothing. What do you replace sugar with? Oh holy jesus this is going to be tougher than I thought. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Wellywoo wrote: »
    I think I'm addicted to sugar. The cravings are unnatural, this is worse than when I gave up cigarettes, probably because I'm replacing it with nothing. What do you replace sugar with? Oh holy jesus this is going to be tougher than I thought. :(

Water. It may not be the answer but it might help.

Remember your first post in this thread when the cravings attack. Prioritise what you actually want :)

Water. It may not be the answer but it might help.

Remember your first post in this thread when the cravings attack. Prioritise what you actually want :)

One of my better habits (since I was in college many years ago...many!) is drinking 2 litres of water and have done everyday since. My bottle of water and me go everywhere together :D

This is like proper cravings, crazy, was not expecting this. Have you kicked sugar and how long did it take for the cravings to ease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Calories don't count when you have a cold, right? I have been good all week but have a horrible cold and may have pigged out a big. Not by much tough, a few spoons of peanut butter.

I kick sugar last year and it was the same headaches shakes the whole shebang but I was a pick and mix and can of coke fiend so I went cold turkey it was torture but worth it. Got help from a dietian and she helped reintroduce carbs with simple sugars and fruits and honey etc it is hard but is so worth it if sugar is your crutch

I kick sugar last year and it was the same headaches shakes the whole shebang but I was a pick and mix and can of coke fiend so I went cold turkey it was torture but worth it. Got help from a dietian and she helped reintroduce carbs with simple sugars and fruits and honey etc it is hard but is so worth it if sugar is your crutch

Well done! Did it take weeks or months for those effects to subside? I think I need to hear that there is a light at the end of the tunnel soon!

I'm going to go with about a month before I was okay but I'm not gunna lie I've blacked it all out at this stage. It was horrific but I was so unwell and unhealthy I needed to do it so it was easy to keep myself motivated.
    It does get easier I found a lot of early nights, long walks down by the sea, and LOTS of documentaries about food or health were good...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I gave up sugar for about 6 months a couple of years ago, and the withdrawal was awful. It was a good month before I felt okay again. I had headaches, was exhausted all the time, had vicious cravings, was irritable... but I got through it. And you will too. Just stick with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Faith wrote: »
    I gave up sugar for about 6 months a couple of years ago, and the withdrawal was awful. It was a good month before I felt okay again. I had headaches, was exhausted all the time, had vicious cravings, was irritable... but I got through it. And you will too. Just stick with it!

Did you cut out completely everything that had sugar in it?

Advertisement