Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

I need help please

I will summarise

37 years old
    5 foot 11
    17 stone 8 pounds when I weighted myself for the 1st time in years just after xmas. It was a shock. I knew it was bad but not that bad, but I had felt particularity in the last year I had gained a lot more weight.

Never exercised in adult life and although often ate healthy meals, ate loads of junk, takeaways and drank a lot at the weekends. Incredibly unfit.

Starting 3rd of Jan and still going, I have cut out all junk food and reduced my alcohol intake pretty dramatically. I have used an exercise bike for 10 mins everyday since Jan 3rd and began weights training as well about 3 weeks ago.

The weight loss started so well. And after a month I lost 12 pounds. I started weighing myself everyday and it was like it was falling off me. I was over the moon. I got to 16 stone 10 pounds

2 weeks ago, It began to stop...then it started to go up again. And again...now I'm back up to 16 st 13

Yesterday I upped my time on the bike to 15 mins. But I would love some advise or tips. Taking into account my severe lack of fitness

Thanks for reading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Wait... so sorry if I look stupid for asking this.. does it actually work ? Losing weight eating whatever you want within calories? If I have a subway today, and chocolate say afterwards and it amounts to only 800 calories and I eat nothing else for the day surely I wont lose weight ?:S

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

R.F. wrote: »
    I need help please

I will summarise

37 years old
    5 foot 11
    17 stone 8 pounds when I weighted myself for the 1st time in years just after xmas. It was a shock. I knew it was bad but not that bad, but I had felt particularity in the last year I had gained a lot more weight.

Never exercised in adult life and although often ate healthy meals, ate loads of junk, takeaways and drank a lot at the weekends. Incredibly unfit.

Starting 3rd of Jan and still going, I have cut out all junk food and reduced my alcohol intake pretty dramatically. I have used an exercise bike for 10 mins everyday since Jan 3rd and began weights training as well about 3 weeks ago.

The weight loss started so well. And after a month I lost 12 pounds. I started weighing myself everyday and it was like it was falling off me. I was over the moon. I got to 16 stone 10 pounds

2 weeks ago, It began to stop...then it started to go up again. And again...now I'm back up to 16 st 13

Yesterday I upped my time on the bike to 15 mins. But I would love some advise or tips. Taking into account my severe lack of fitness

Thanks for reading

Firstly, any exercise is good exercise as it's burning some level of calories but 10mins on bike would be very low daily exercise. A minimum of 30 / 45 minutes PER DAY of moderate to intense CARDIO exercise is the widely and commonly acknowledged minimum requirement for a good lending to sustained weight loss.

That could be a mix of walking, jogging, swimming or cycling etc.

Without you giving an average daily account of your food / nutritional diary, it is impossible to ascertain exactly what else in addition to increase you exercise output to a minimum 30 to 45 minutes of cardio.

If you post your daily average food diary then I can make suggestions on some improved changes you could make.

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Firstly, any exercise is good exercise as it's burning some level of calories but 10mins on bike would be very low daily exercise. A minimum of 30 / 45 minutes PER DAY of moderate to intense CARDIO exercise is the widely and commonly acknowledged minimum requirement for a good lending to sustained weight loss.

That could be a mix of walking, jogging, swimming or cycling etc.

Without you giving an average daily account of your food / nutritional diary, it is impossible to ascertain exactly what else in addition to increase you exercise output to a minimum 30 to 45 minutes of cardio.

If you post your daily average food diary then I can make suggestions on some improved changes you could make.

Cheers. Yeah I realised I need to up my exercise, which I am now doing. And will continue to do so

My average daily food intake would be

Cereal (corn flakes)
    Lunch in work - brown bread sandwich (ham, tomato, rocket, coleslaw) + apple + grapes and small bag of popcorn
    Healthy meal, usually recepie from slimming world

Any snacks if I was starving would be fruit or the odd time light Philadelphia on ryvita

All milk and spread is if the low fat variety. Coffee and tea would be with no sugar etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Cheers. Yeah I realised I need to up my exercise, which I am now doing. And will continue to do so

Cereal (corn flakes)
    Lunch in work - brown bread sandwich (ham, tomato, rocket, coleslaw) + apple + grapes and small bag of popcorn

Any snacks if I was starving would be fruit or the odd time light Philadelphia on ryvita

All milk and spread is if the low fat variety. Coffee and tea would be with no sugar etc...

Looks relatively decent.
    Small changes could be introduce some porridge with some banana or blueberries or raspberry and maybe a spoon of healthy meridan peanut butter or natural honey. Also maybe a bowl of Wheatabix in morning instead of corn flakes all the time.

Some chicken or turkey salads or homemade soups can be nice alternative lunch options as high bread intake can be damaging to weight loss. Watch break instake.

Some natural yogurt with fruit nice snacking option.

You haven't mentioned any takeaway or sweet treats so do you completely avoid those high sugar foods?

• Advertisement

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Looks relatively decent.
    Small changes could be introduce some porridge with some banana or blueberries or raspberry and maybe a spoon of healthy meridan peanut butter or natural honey. Also maybe a bowl of Wheatabix in morning instead of corn flakes all the time.

Some chicken or turkey salads or homemade soups can be nice alternative lunch options as high bread intake can be damaging to weight loss. Watch break instake.

Some natural yogurt with fruit nice snacking option.

You haven't mentioned any takeaway or sweet treats so do you completely avoid those high sugar foods?

I have Completely avoided junk and takeaways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

If I eat whatever I want within calories will I still lose weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Yes but it's not gonna be optimal for your health if you solely eat junk food

• Registered Users Posts: 39,389 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I need help please

I will summarise

37 years old
    5 foot 11

Thanks for reading

There's two things at paly here.
    The daily exercise is maybe 100 calories burned. That's worth very little in the overall scheme. Exercise is good, but diet s significantly more important.

You can lose weight without exercise. You can't lose weight without a calorie deficit (diet).

Cereal (corn flakes)

Corn flakes aren't particularly good tbh. High calories for a small portion.
    Have you ever measured out a serving size? It's tiny. I'd be willing to bet you own portion is 2 if not 3 servings.

There's nothing wrong with the occasional sandwich, but a brown bread, ham and coleslaw sandwich could be comparable with a big mac in terms of calories and fat. Again, portion size dictates everything here.

Lots of "healthy" choices there. But overall high carb, low protein and low fat - not ideal imo. And eating too much is still very easy with sandwiches, cereal and the like.

If that actually do it, yes.

1000 calories of salad is more or less same as 1000 calories of subway and chocolate in terms of energy.
    There are a number of cases where this has been conclusively proven.

But outside of a controlled study, or somebody with strong will power. You probably won't stick to that approach for very long. Are you generally good at sticking to a plan? As the above approach often means meals and smaller and you'll feel like you aren't eating much.

The other tissue is that you've often no way of accurately knowing how many cals certain foods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Despite not consciouslt dieting this year, I've continued to loose weight, down to just under 12 stone now, and I'm 5'11. Abdominal fat completely gone, first time ever as an adult I think and I'm in my late 30's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Up 1.4lbs this week. This is the first time I've been up since just before Xmas. Trying not to freak out what with being so close to the wedding (5weeks!) and desperately trying to figure out how I can speed up the weight loss now. Ideally would like 8.5lbs gone in those five weeks but as someone who only tends to lose about a pound a week regardless of food or exercise I think this might be too much of a stretch. Any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Up 1.4lbs this week. This is the first time I've been up since just before Xmas. Trying not to freak out what with being so close to the wedding (5weeks!) and desperately trying to figure out how I can speed up the weight loss now. Ideally would like 8.5lbs gone in those five weeks but as someone who only tends to lose about a pound a week regardless of food or exercise I think this might be too much of a stretch. Any tips?

Do you exercise much? I would never lose much weight if I didn't exercise. I'm out power walking for 60-90mins everyday. My sister walks like a bat out of hell and I walk to her pace. Is there anyone you could exercise with who is high octane. Cut down on the things you eat or drink the most of even if it's just tea or coffee because milk is the killer.

Do you exercise much? I would never lose much weight if I didn't exercise. I'm out power walking for 60-90mins everyday. My sister walks like a bat out of hell and I walk to her pace. Is there anyone you could exercise with who is high octane. Cut down on the things you eat or drink the most of even if it's just tea or coffee because milk is the killer.

Hi RR, thanks for your reply! I exercise a lot already. 20min power walk everyday at lunch. I run 5km in Parkrun every Saturday and then I'm training for a half marathon so I run 10km 2 day's a week too which is increasing two km a week every week.

Was considering going super lo-carb but i know it won't be sustainable in long term... but then again I just want these 9lbs gone by April and then I can go back to just a calorie deficit like I am now.

Edit: I don't drink tea or coffee anymore, just water and green teas. I have a Diet Coke twice a week when I'm in college in the evening just for a pep in my step. It's zero calories though so it's hardly hindering me too much.

I know reason I gained was because I was at the hen party at the weekend and just said sod it to the Diet but I was right back on track Monday morning. Starting to panic, theres not enough time!! Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Ah I'm fed up! I know I'm thinking it's worse than it is but I am feeling sick from over eating and feeling so stuck! I'm down 10lbs since Christmas. I know 10 lbs is a lot but I was a most a stone lighter this time last year and I just want to be back there. I've upped my exercise, but haven't reeled in the diet! If I stayed on track I know I'd be doing great but I am so scared of failing I don't even try! I've tried to do it one day at a time but half way through the day I forget I'm doing that ha! Just another Sunday night determined mind to get back on track!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Was considering going super lo-carb but i know it won't be sustainable in long term... but then again I just want these 9lbs gone by April and then I can go back to just a calorie deficit like I am now.

I know reason I gained was because I was at the hen party at the weekend and just said sod it to the Diet but I was right back on track Monday morning. Starting to panic, theres not enough time!! Hahaha

Hi. If you want to loose that kind of weight why not join a club. I am a lb a week kinda girl but when I joined Unislim I lost 7lb in 3 weeks and ate loads.
    Good luck with your weight loss

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Hi, I've just started reading this thread and really like the support and advice. I started a calorie restriction diet about 7 weeks ago. The first time in my life I've done a 'diet'. I was always skinny but after doing a marathon 7 years ago my activity decreased but my food levels stayed the same and so the pounds gradually piled on.

Height: 5.5 ft
    Current Weight: 12 Stone
    Starting weight: 12.5 stone
    Target: 10 stone
    Belly measurement: 41 inches
    Diet plan: NHS 12 week programme
    Exercise: running a few times a week and some strength training at home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hi all, I'm still around. I lost about 18lbs overall and hit a serious plateau. It seemed that my body was fed up of shedding weight on CICO only (although realistically I know I was letting my hair down a bit too much at weekends!). Anyway, I have no real interest in cardio, so I joined a gym and got a strength program designed about 3/4 weeks ago.

My gym has a Boditrax machine that tracks your body fat, muscle mass etc. Like a bathroom scale, but supposedly significantly more accurate. Despite the 18lb weight loss and only being a size 12 anyway, my body fat percentage was still in the obese range, according to that :eek:. That was a bit of a wake up call!

Since then, I've been lifting 3 times a week. I'm losing fat and gaining muscle at a similar rate, so while I have only lost ~1-2lbs since, it does appear to have been almost purely fat loss. It's slow going, and it's still disheartening when I stand on the bathroom scale, but I can already see the changes to my body! And I LOVE lifting! I actually look forward to going to the gym now. It empties my head totally while I'm there, and banishes any bad moods.

I'm planning to introduce some yoga and Pilates, but I'll just do that at home with YouTube as the gym class times don't suit around my schedule. That should help a bit with flexibility.

I hope all of your journeys are going well!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Faith wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm still around. I lost about 18lbs overall and hit a serious plateau. It seemed that my body was fed up of shedding weight on CICO only (although realistically I know I was letting my hair down a bit too much at weekends!). Anyway, I have no real interest in cardio, so I joined a gym and got a strength program designed about 3/4 weeks ago.

My gym has a Boditrax machine that tracks your body fat, muscle mass etc. Like a bathroom scale, but supposedly significantly more accurate. Despite the 18lb weight loss and only being a size 12 anyway, my body fat percentage was still in the obese range, according to that :eek:. That was a bit of a wake up call!

Since then, I've been lifting 3 times a week. I'm losing fat and gaining muscle at a similar rate, so while I have only lost ~1-2lbs since, it does appear to have been almost purely fat loss. It's slow going, and it's still disheartening when I stand on the bathroom scale, but I can already see the changes to my body! And I LOVE lifting! I actually look forward to going to the gym now. It empties my head totally while I'm there, and banishes any bad moods.

I'm planning to introduce some yoga and Pilates, but I'll just do that at home with YouTube as the gym class times don't suit around my schedule. That should help a bit with flexibility.

I hope all of your journeys are going well!

Something I wish I'd done is progress photos. The scales may barely budge but the camera will show much bigger changes!

Look up Limber 11 (it's a stretching and mobility routine put together by Joe DeFranco) that will help you :)

Something I wish I'd done is progress photos. The scales may barely budge but the camera will show much bigger changes!

Look up Limber 11 (it's a stretching and mobility routine put together by Joe DeFranco) that will help you :)

I have taken progress pictures, but not since I started strength training. I'll take an updated set shortly - thanks for the reminder! And thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out :)

Faith wrote: »
    I have taken progress pictures, but not since I started strength training. I'll take an updated set shortly - thanks for the reminder! And thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out :)

I was coming from a different direction but I wish I had taken them cos I don't appreciate the changes.
    It's 11 different movements and a lot are hips and lower body but so many resistance movements require good hip mobility, or rather good hip mobility would help a lot!

• Advertisement

I SO wish I'd taken progress photos. I'm 19.6lbs down which is quite significant on a 5'0'' frame but day to day I don't feel I look particularly different. I know logically that it's just because i see myself everyday. Lots of people have been commenting on the difference in me and my clothes are big on me now but I still don't really see a difference in myself yet. Especially my face, i feel like that's still just as chubby as ever :o

Also i remember someone once telling me that every 10lbs lost is a dress size down... lies!! :D nearly 20lbs down and I'd say I've lost 3/4 of a dress size. My 10s fit now in tops and trousers but skirts are still a struggle. They close but I reckon I need another half stone gone before they look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sheeply

Hey all, was active here at the start of the year and had a successful January... have been in a dark hole of binging for the last two months and struggling to get a handle on things again. Too nervous to step on the scales and see all the good work I know I've undone :(

sheeply wrote: »
    Hey all, was active here at the start of the year and had a successful January... have been in a dark hole of binging for the last two months and struggling to get a handle on things again. Too nervous to step on the scales and see all the good work I know I've undone :(

You won't know what work you need to do until you step on it. Why not step on tonight and get ready to start back tomorrow. You sound like mentally you're ready to get back on track. Good luck!

Also i remember someone once telling me that every 10lbs lost is a dress size down... lies!! :D nearly 20lbs down and I'd say I've lost 3/4 of a dress size. My 10s fit now in tops and trousers but skirts are still a struggle. They close but I reckon I need another half stone gone before they look good.

I too find that to be a lie!! I've lost ~15 to 18lbs (not sure exactly) and I've gone from the larger end of a size 12 to the smaller end :rolleyes:.

I have been strength training for a month now. I have lost 3.5lbs of fat and gained 2lbs of muscle since starting. I admit, I'm still overly attached to the number on the scales, which does me no favours :o. I do get disheartened when that hasn't changed, but at least every Friday I get to see the changes in fat and muscle. I'm a data fiend so I love the boditrax readouts!

If I lost 15lbs of fat, I would be over the moon. I have been SO lax with my eating recently, so if I cop on with that, it should be doable. At a reasonable rate of ~3lbs fat loss a month, I could be nearly at that goal by the time I'm a bridesmaid at the end of July :).

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

I've lost about 4lb's in the last 2 weeks. Which is basically double the previous 4 weeks. And the most obvious difference is because I wasn't running the past 2 weeks. So I'm guessing I've been eating extra food after the exercise making it hard to lose weight. So from now on, strict portion controls even though I may want to eat more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

Has anyone tried green tea tablets for weight loss? I spoke to a woman in work who said she lost a huge amount of weight and a lot of that was down to drinking lots of green tea. I don't like the taste of green tea so I picked up some green tea extract in Holland & Barrett. Anyone tried it or have any thoughts on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Has anyone tried green tea tablets for weight loss? I spoke to a woman in work who said she lost a huge amount of weight and a lot of that was down to drinking lots of green tea. I don't like the taste of green tea so I picked up some green tea extract in Holland & Barrett. Anyone tried it or have any thoughts on it?

Weight loss occurs when you burn more calories than you eat. Tea will make you pee, if you see any movement on the scales, it's just water weight that will come back on before you need to pee again.

If weight loss was as easy as drinking tea or taking tablets, we'd all be tiny! Don't waste your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

cactusgal wrote: »
    Weight loss occurs when you burn more calories than you eat. Tea will make you pee, if you see any movement on the scales, it's just water weight that will come back on before you need to pee again.

If weight loss was as easy as drinking tea or taking tablets, we'd all be tiny! Don't waste your money.

I was under the impression green tea speeds up your metabolism?

I think there is a study that says it does but by such a small amount that the impact is negligible. The actual outcome is that you urinate more so it's really only water weight you'd be losing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,389 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So does eating chillis and spicy food. But the extra energy burned is insignificant

Advertisement