Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Anyone tried Apple Cider Vinegar to help with metabolism and weight loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Hi all,

Was nabbed for health screening today and am still recovering! When weighed, I weighed 67 kg. This was a shock as I would have weighed myself at home monthly at about 62 kg. I am 169 cm in height and my waist was 88 cm today (not good). First thing tomorrow, I'm beginning a healthy eating plan ... and buying a new weighing scales!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

Hi everyone. I've been going to the gym 2-3 times per week (minimum of 2) for the past 8 weeks and feel pretty good. I've restricted refined carbs as much as I can (I used to work with a PT a few years ago, so am re-using his plan as it worked before).  Staying away from those evil bathroom scales entirely now, I am going by how I feel in my clothes, and using a tape measure every so often to check if I've lost inches. I am definitely feeling much leaner, I was around 12st 8lbs @ 5ft 7 when I started (weirdly I was measured for a medical a week ago, and never knew I was 5 ft 7, always thought I was 5ft 5!), but I don't care so much about the actual pound loss, as I know I am building muscle in the gym. I am doing 50 minute kickboxing and tabata bootcamp classes and they are great. Absolutely killer, but it gets the sweat pumping off me. I am still treating myself to eating ****e at the weekends, which I do need to reign in quite a bit as I know it's slowing my progress.... But I always tend to loosen up at the weekends.... Hope everyone is feeling good today :) And if not, it's just a bad day, not a bad life!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Well the wedding I was working towards my weightless for was last weekend, I managed to lose just about 24lbs, delighted! Am in to the healthy range for my height by bmi standards now and felt really amazing in the bridesmaid dress. I'm pretty sure I ate every calorie I cut out since January over the last 5 days and I don't even care :D

Holiday booked and heading off to Cuba in 3 weeks so getting back on the wagon from tomorrow morning, now it's bikini time! :) have it hanging up on my wardrobe door as motivation!

I think (once I'm back down to my weight from Friday!!) I'll have about 14 more pounds to lose in total to get to my ultimate ideal weight but I'm not in any mad rush, if those would be gone by July though I'd be thrilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

So I am getting married in September so decided to get a online coach and nutrition plan. Was all guns blazing yesterday with my HIIT. Then this morning I tried to do weights on my own from my plan. Needless to say I hadn't got a clue what I was doing and ended up getting upset from shear frustration! :o

Will try again tomorrow but think I will get the staff to show me what to do! Was a complete disaster!

Have about 8-10kg to lose and some serious toning up to be done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Greenduck wrote: »
    So I am getting married in September so decided to get a online coach and nutrition plan. Was all guns blazing yesterday with my HIIT. Then this morning I tried to do weights on my own from my plan. Needless to say I hadn't got a clue what I was doing and ended up getting upset from shear frustration! :o

Will try again tomorrow but think I will get the staff to show me what to do! Was a complete disaster!

Have about 8-10kg to lose and some serious toning up to be done!
    I used to watch loads of videos on YouTube to learn how to do the different exercises. Just search whatever it is you're trying to do like "Lateral Raises" and you'll get a few giving you an idea. Bodybuilding.com also has a good database of videos for various exercises. 
    About "toning up", when you start to lose some fat your muscles will naturally start to show so it's not exactly a separate thing. Your diet will be in check now and then just keep those muscles active with a bit of weight training and you'll be good to go! Where did you get the training plan from?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

I used to watch loads of videos on YouTube to learn how to do the different exercises. Just search whatever it is you're trying to do like "Lateral Raises" and you'll get a few giving you an idea. Bodybuilding.com also has a good database of videos for various exercises. 
    About "toning up", when you start to lose some fat your muscles will naturally start to show so it's not exactly a separate thing. Your diet will be in check now and then just keep those muscles active with a bit of weight training and you'll be good to go! Where did you get the training plan from?

Thats exactly what I've been doing today for tomorrow. When you dont know them its so difficult to remember. I might make little notes or something so I'll remember what I am doing. I just felt like such a d!ckhead not having a clue what I was doing. I can see why a lot of women are intimidated by the weights room! I just ended up walking out :(

Anyways onwards and upwards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Greenduck wrote: »
    Thats exactly what I've been doing today for tomorrow. When you dont know them its so difficult to remember. I might make little notes or something so I'll remember what I am doing. I just felt like such a d!ckhead not having a clue what I was doing. I can see why a lot of women are intimidated by the weights room! I just ended up walking out :(

Anyways onwards and upwards. :)
    Oh gosh don't feel silly, it's perfectly normal in the beginning! Don't be afraid to ask staff for help. Are you following some kind of structured plan? If you know you have to do 5 exercises for example, and how many sets and reps, then it's a lot harder to give up :P  Could you ask your nutritionist if they have a training plan? I got one from mine (I could email it to you if you wanted?). Before that I was picking ones from Emily Skye, like "Back workout" and another day "booty workout" and then another day "upper body workout" so I was doing lots of different ones and she demonstrates a bit in the video what to do. Onwards and upwards indeed, it will get easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

cactusgal wrote: »
    Ok, my story:

I've always been very active (dance teacher by profession and gym-goer since the age of 18), but love to eat and have a massive sweet tooth. And have become a bit too fond of wine in recent years. Coupled with getting older, working too much, and not cooking my own food, I've put on about a stone in the last two years, and I'm now the heaviest I've ever been.

Age 38, height 5'3, my typical weight is around 136-137 pounds, which is a size 10-12 dress size for me (I'm muscley, so might weigh more than other women of a similar dress size?) A few times I've lost weight and gone down to 125-128, which felt amazing (dress size 8-10).

Anyway, once the scales hit 140, it's heavy for me. But, after Christmas this year, I was 154 - a full stone over my "top weight," not good! I've had to wear leggings and stretchy clothes, and I haven't worn jeans for ages, bc I refuse to buy them in a bigger size.

Anyway, I've started a system of "5 pound rewards," where every time I lose 5 pounds, I get a non-food reward. I was 149 on the scale today, so I get my first reward - manicure and pedicure, I can't wait!

I'm logging everything on My Fitness Pal, not drinking alcohol during the week, trying to eat more veg, cutting out junk food and cutting out cheese and bread.

Trying to stay motivated, good luck to everyone!!

Hello everyone! Just wanted to bump this thread, bc I've finally had some success!!

I'd put on about a stone over my normal weight, pretty much when I started going out with my boyfriend four years ago, and it got worse when we moved in together two years ago. Too many cosy nights on the couch with wine, cheese, and chocolate biscuits! I've always been extremely active (dance teacher by profession and regular Crossfitter, yogi, cyclist, etc) but exercise really doesn't help me lose weight if my diet is still sh*t.

As of now, I've finally lost the stone I put on (was 155, now 139) and would like to lose a bit more. But I feel great!!! I can finally wear my favourite jeans instead of leggings!!

Things that worked for me:

1. Logging absolutely everything into MyFitnessPal without exception
    2. Weighing my food
    3. Cutting out bread and pasta (made me feel like crap anyway)
    4. Cutting down on sweets (MFP helps keep me accountable).
    5. Only drinking alcohol on Fri and Sat nights, at a max of 3 drinks per night
    6. Protein heavy brekkie
    7. Exercise as usual.

Yay!

Hello everyone! Just wanted to bump this thread, bc I've finally had some success!!

I'd put on about a stone over my normal weight, pretty much when I started going out with my boyfriend four years ago, and it got worse when we moved in together two years ago. Too many cosy nights on the couch with wine, cheese, and chocolate biscuits! I've always been extremely active (dance teacher by profession and regular Crossfitter, yogi, cyclist, etc) but exercise really doesn't help me lose weight if my diet is still sh*t.

As of now, I've finally lost the stone I put on (was 155, now 139) and would like to lose a bit more. But I feel great!!! I can finally wear my favourite jeans instead of leggings!!

Things that worked for me:

1. Logging absolutely everything into MyFitnessPal without exception
    2. Weighing my food
    3. Cutting out bread and pasta (made me feel like crap anyway)
    4. Cutting down on sweets (MFP helps keep me accountable).
    5. Only drinking alcohol on Fri and Sat nights, at a max of 3 drinks per night
    6. Protein heavy brekkie
    7. Exercise as usual.

Yay!

Also - increasing my protein intake helped massively with keeping me full for longer stretches of time AND batch cooking food and snacks is a huge help. The slow cooker is a great invention!

Best of luck to everyone on their weight loss journey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciarak7511

Also - increasing my protein intake helped massively with keeping me full for longer stretches of time AND batch cooking food and snacks is a huge help. The slow cooker is a great invention!

Best of luck to everyone on their weight loss journey!

I can empathise with the alcohol thing! I gave up booze for a month and lost weight much more easily. I now almost nevr drink during the week. I eat less carbs and am now vegetarian (which means processed fries are generally out!) and not only is it easier to lose weight i feel much better too!

if i had advice for anyone it would be:
    1. Drink less alcohol
    2. Eat less processed foods

Besides, processed meats are carcinogenic (according to a WHO report) so cutting these out wont just help weight loss, it also lowers your risk of cancer from these foods.

oh yeah and fitness pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Great work cactusgirl, that is super going !!!

Great work cactusgirl, that is super going !!!

Thank you :) It feels great to fit into my old clothes again :)

Thank you :) It feels great to fit into my old clothes again :)

And it also feels great to be in better control of my eating, and to be drinking a lot less alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bodycoachie

Yeah alcohol is the devil for people when trying to lose weight, constantly see people on a Monday destroying their progress from the previous week over a little binge weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Tenatively dipping in here, been making a severely half assed effort at losing weight all year. I was eating healthy like 2/3 days a week and then self sabotaging the rest. I'm now finally in a head space to do something constructive, and I'm going back to basics.

Slimming world worked great for me for awhile but for someone who has no self control, I was always too weak to stop at 1 biscuit or 1 bar of chocolate. So I'm cutting out all the crap.

Breakfast will be Greek yoghurt mixed with 25g protein powder and berries. Home made veggie soup (no starches involved, made only using stock, no cream/milk etc) for lunch. Chicken stirfry for dinner. No carbs for awhile , I'm so bloated at the moment I need a break from them anyway.

3-4ltrs of water a day and lots of peppermint tea.

Exercise will be a power walk each evening, getting my 10k steps in. Maybe join the gym down the line but I need to start small. :o

Looking for some snack ideas, and maybe some youtube exercise video recommendations? Looking for something aerobic that won't be too strenuous for someone just returning to fitness. Any recommendations welcome! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

I've started taking a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a tall glass of water before meals, has anyone tried this and had luck losing weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Adini

I've started taking a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a tall glass of water before meals, has anyone tried this and had luck losing weight?

A spoonful of vinegar will have zero effect on your weight loss, unless by taking it you then eat less than you would otherwise in your meal. If you eat fewer calories than you burn you will lose weight, its really as straightforward as that, forget about gimmicks.

(Not suggesting that there aren't other potential benefits to apple cider vinegar with regards to digestion, but it wont magically burn fat. Also - you probably shouldn't drink it straight, the acidity can damage your teeth)

Back on it today. I lost nearly 25lbs between Jan 2017 and first week of April 2017 in the lead up to a friends wedding. Felt amazing was back comfortably in my size 10s. Well, the 10s are getting 'cosy' now and I have or about 9lbs back on since May. Plan is to lose the 9lbs again by Xmas. I've jus moved house so have a 25 min walk to and from the train which will be handy on top of my regular exercise (running and Pilates). Have my breakfast, snacks and lunch with me in work so I'm set up nicely for the day. Going to make some lunches this evening for the rest of the week! Fitbit is back on the wrist and I'm feelin motivated!

Good morning everyone! Delighted this morning, after 4 and a bit years of going out with my boyfriend, I'm finally back to pre-boyfriend weight! 19 pounds gained over 3 years, and now 19 pounds lost over the last year. Yay!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭tringle

Morning all, since March I've been trying hard to lose weight. I've a big birthday coming up in January and want to look and feel good for it.
    I lost weight but gained again when I changed jobs and went from running around all day to sitting in an office 8 hours a day. I need to exercise and I swim, walk, cycle and use the Wii Fit.

Started 25 March 80.4kg with BMI 35.2
    1 July 71.5kg
    25 Sept 76.9kg
    3 Nov 73.5kg with BMI 32.2

Aiming for 68kg for Christmas which will bring my BMI under 30.
    My biggest problem is wine and late night munchies.

Fitbit is back on the wrist and I'm feelin motivated!

Does your Fitbit work well. I got a tracker and I managed to walk 1000 steps while driving. I've been looking them up and not managed to read a great review yet of trackers. I'd love one but they are pricey so want to know what I'm getting. I use the phone to track my walking but would like to know my daily steps too. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

tringle wrote: »
    My biggest problem is wine and late night munchies.

Remove the temptation as much as possible. Remove the wine and munchies from the house and it will be easier to resist temptation.

Does your Fitbit work well. I got a tracker and I managed to walk 1000 steps while driving. I've been looking them up and not managed to read a great review yet of trackers. I'd love one but they are pricey so want to know what I'm getting. I use the phone to track my walking but would like to know my daily steps too. Thanks

Yeah I love it. Really wouldnt be without it now. My friend got one at the same time and she had issues with hers, over counting steps and wouldn't like to her phone properly. The place she got it from replaced it with no issue, new one seems fine.

Remove the temptation as much as possible. Remove the wine and munchies from the house and it will be easier to resist temptation.

I agree, I now only have healthy munchies in the press. But removing the wine is harder, husband is French so its "the law" to have a full wine press. I am much better than I was.

I agree, I now only have healthy munchies in the press. But removing the wine is harder, husband is French so its "the law" to have a full wine press. I am much better than I was.

What are the healthy munchies?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Stolen from YLYL, but I think it's very appropriate for here. It's why I completely went cold turkey on junk food, and it's been a success for me (went from BMI of >40 to <24 in two years). My motto is that it's easier to have none than to have one. To have one leads to the results in the fourth panel below. Some people might disagree, and say that it's important to have a little of what you fancy. The trouble is it's nearly impossible to stick to the "a little" part of that statement. Maybe it will help others who are struggling to stay off the crap:

9478_519c_500.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I agree 'Quickbeam' it's nearly impossible 'just to have a little'. I've cut out Junk Food and alcohol 99% of the time the past 2 years. It's very tempting, convenience foods, fast foods, especially when tired, but I try hard to cook for myself or at least get 'quality' cooked food...

I look quite slim now. The 'hard part' is though, that it would not take much 'deviance' for me to 'bulge again'. The first place fat deposits is on my abdomen and people's comment's were not nice.....

What are the healthy munchies?

Baked "crisps", nakd breakfast bars, crackers

• Advertisement

Baked "crisps", nakd breakfast bars, crackers

Theyre healthier but they all still have calories so you'll need to be strict enough with those

Advertisement