Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I didnt do y exercise this morning and for the first time in a long while im knackered.
    The slump is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Hi!
    Just posting here to maybe get more motivated.
    I am female, 51 yrs old, 1m 68, now 78-79 kgs after losing nearly 10 kgs since September 2020.
    I have been overweight and even slightly obese for years. I use to be very slim when young, and put on weight when moving to Ireland, even before having my children. Change of diet and lifestyle I suppose, and little pressure to stay slim here compared to France! My weight is concentrated on the top half of the body and the stomach.
    I have lost the 10 kgs through logging what I eat in My Net Diary, and eating a max of 1400 calories.
    However I have not lost anything for a month or two.
    I eat very healthily, flexitarian verging on vegetarian, eating mostly vegetables, with potatoes, rice or buckwheat for carbs, and eggs, tofu or ham for protein. I am a good cook and know how to make low-calorie meals tasty and filling.
    I don't really miss bread and cheese, my weaknesses, too much.
    I don't drink alcohol nor tea or coffee.
    I hate exercise, walking for walking's sake bores me or makes me anxious. The only physical movement I like is dance and swimming in a warm sea, and exploring a city, so it hasn't happened in a long time!
    I am very sedentary, working on the computer all day, sitting and typing for long hours. Working a lot, sleeping little.
    I am still strong but have no flexibility, and getting aches and pains (especially neck, back and arm) from the sitting lifestyle.
    Hopefully I can somehow get to my goal of 70 kgs by the end of July.
    I am thinking of finding some dance classes or yoga on Youtube and doing that when I have the time.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭tamara25

Hello galwaymother, have you tried cutting out gluten? Has worked really well for me! I couldn’t lose any weight despite calorie counting & lots of walking.

Hi! I don't eat much gluten rich foods anymore anyway, pasta once a week maybe, and basmati rice but I know I digest it well.
    I know what I have to do: start moving! But it is so unnatural for me to go out just to walk, without a specific reason. People here are great at it, but it's not in my 'DNA'. How do you stop obsessing over your problems when walking aimlessly alone? I just can't seem to stick at it. Strenuous dance might be better for me, as I love music etc but I feel a bit self-conscious starting to dance in the sitting-room, with the rest of the family here also because of the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭tamara25

Yes I think it’s impossible to lose the weight without doing some type of exercise. I go first thing in the morning & then the rest of my day is free. Sometimes I listen to music & the time flies by! I don’t do intermittent fasting but alot of people find great to help lose weight

• Advertisement

It's only since I'm exercising to videos,I realize how uncoordinated I am😂.
    But it's a good laugh and I'm enjoying myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Galway mother almost impossible to shed weight without some form of exercise unless your diet is unreal so you will have to find time to move .Could you get up a little earlier and maybe try some even on the spot walking or progress to jogging on the spot if you start slowly and easy you can do something even twenty minutes it may sound a bit daft but if you look up you tube you will see some videos that might get you going in the right direction .You can listen to a bit of music and that might pass the time a bit quicker .

Thanks rolling boh for the encouragement. Yesterday, as I was off for a few hours, I went walking for one hour along a river. It was nice and all but still so boring... Also I tend to mull over my problems when walking, so it's not great for my mental health strangely enough!
    When I walk I do a minimum of 1/2 hour, but it would be twice a week maybe.
    Dance Youtube videos might be more to my taste.
    Any recommendations?
    P.S.: I would never get up earlier to exercise, that's just not happening, :pac::pac:

sorry am useless dancer not really my thing but would be great to get you movin especially as you like dancing good luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Can anyone point me in the direction of low calorie wraps / tortillas? I use the Aldi ones which are 181 calories but I've seen 45 calorie wraps available in other countries.

Anyone know of a similar product available in Ireland or online as they freeze well so would happily order a few packs at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Tesco do mini ones that are around 99 cals I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

josip wrote: »
    Put on a few kilos over lockdown and fatter around my arse and waist.
    My motivation is that I don't want to have to go shopping for new swimming shorts for the summer.
    So between now and July I hope to go from 89kg back to the 83kg I was on for years.
    To achieve that I've given up (as of yesterday)
    • 2 mini mars bars with morning coffee,
    • 1 packet of Tayto after lunch,
    • 2 doughnuts with afternoon coffee,
    • half a packet of choccie biscuits and doritos in the night time working late.
    It's just meals for the foreseeable, with coffee as the 'treat'.

Sticking ok to my plan so far. I've fallen off the wagon once and ate a packet of Tayto.
    I ate it very slowly mind you, and got as long as I could out of the taste.
    I'm at 86kg now and if I can maintain this rate, I think I'll be able to see it out until my 83kg target.
    I feel hungry a lot of the time and I'm more narky, so I wouldn't like to go on for months feeling like this.
    If I get to the 83, then I'll add back in a daily treat ration and see if I can maintain my weight while still having something to look forward to.

Its generally hard enough just to cut out all your treats in one go could you wean yourself off them over a week or two maybe substituting something a bit healthier also an odd treat should be OK.

Its generally hard enough just to cut out all your treats in one go could you wean yourself off them over a week or two maybe substituting something a bit healthier also an odd treat should be OK.

I agree with what you're saying but I've never dieted before and I'm applying Covid lockdown theory to my situation.
    I prefer the proper circuit-breaker, lockdown hard for the minimum time, to get where I want approach.
    I have a fairly extreme personality and can be very targetted at times.
    But I've terrible self control once I take a first bite/nibble of anything.
    I'd worry that I wouldn't be disciplined enough to follow a longer campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AgnesTruluv

Thanks rolling boh for the encouragement. Yesterday, as I was off for a few hours, I went walking for one hour along a river. It was nice and all but still so boring... Also I tend to mull over my problems when walking, so it's not great for my mental health strangely enough!
    When I walk I do a minimum of 1/2 hour, but it would be twice a week maybe.
    Dance Youtube videos might be more to my taste.
    Any recommendations?
    P.S.: I would never get up earlier to exercise, that's just not happening, :pac::pac:

Leslie Sansone has some good walking routines on YouTube that you do indoors. Because you have to concentrate on following instructions it might help to keep you interested and less likely to mull over problems. It's not exactly dancing but she certainly makes you move!

Joe Wicks also has some workouts that suit different levels of fitness.

When walking outdoors, if I find myself ruminating over stuff, I make a conscious effort to notice for example five things I can see, four things I can hear and so on. It makes me more aware of my surroundings and pulls me out of unhelpful musing.
    Listening to music or an audio book might also work for you when walking outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Was 17stone two weeks ago.

Today I am 16.8 stone.

Not much loss but keeping it down is the main thing, back on the bike later!

Agnes, thank you for the recommendations and advice, I will certainly try it all.
    I do listen to music when I walk, I couldn't do it without, but it's not enough. I just thought of maybe listening to really interesting podcasts on the things I am passionate about. It could work, especially if the weather improves.
    P.S: Joe Wicks seems good. Plus he has lovely hair and a beautiful accent! That will help me stay motivated.

Agnes, thank you for the recommendations and advice, I will certainly try it all.
    I do listen to music when I walk, I couldn't do it without, but it's not enough. I just thought of maybe listening to really interesting podcasts on the things I am passionate about. It could work, especially if the weather improves.
    P.S: Joe Wicks seems good. Plus he has lovely hair and a beautiful accent! That will help me stay motivated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_vCWxt2Dxc

I find him really good.Its easy to do and it flies in.I really enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I'm a man mid 40s, active (regular cyclist) so conscious of the mid life weight gain / spread. I'm a big build 6'2" and managed to get myself to just over 13.5 stones / 85 kg for a big cycle I undertook in 2012. Maintained about 14 stone plus or minus for a good while after that.

I was conscious that my weight had crept up over the past 18 months - had been concious of this from clothes etc tight fitting. Also started some very unhealthy habits on snacking - calculated about 10 biscuits a day, crisps, chocolate, snacks in work, butter on everything. Was also waking at night hungry and snacking as well. Not good.

Weighted myself 1st jan and the scales were tipping 16 stone - so just over the 101kg. It was a shock but I knew it was the case - had being struggling on the bike on weekend spins and was generally sluggish.

So all change now. Have cut this all out - gone cold turkey since 1st jan. Dropped bread as well - have pitta bread instead. Dropped bananas - great snack on a long cycle, but full of sugar as a snack.

I reckon I've cut out 1500 calories in crap that was being consuming daily - God knows what size I would be if I wasn't cycling. Coffee and night time also gone so I'm sleeping better - I leave a glass of water or orange juice beside the bed - if I wake, quick drink then back to sleep.

Weighted myself this morning 15 St 5 lbs (95kg). So about 5kg gone just by diet alone.

Will keep this going and see how I get on over the next few months - 14 stone would be a good goal.

Wow had to dig this post out from 5 years ago. Started 2020 well, lost about a stone in January / February. Then the pandemic hit. I cycled to work daily and at weekends, so was clocking up 1000 - 1200 km monthly easily. So that's dried up although I am out on the bike at the weekends. The weight has piled on me over the last year - now 18 st. / 115kg.

Reading the above is sobering. I set about trying to lose weight in October last year by walking daily - it was intermittent and work got in the way. Started doing the 100 days walking challenge January this year - I do a daily 5.5km walk. I'm watching my diet - healthy breakfast, cutting down carbs, trying to lower my portions of the obvious carbs - spuds and pasta. Little snacking during the day. Booze intake is 3 beers on a Friday night, prefer a few glasses of wine on Saturday in front of netflix.

I haven't shifted a single pound in 3 months. very frustrating. Strange thing is I feel it in the belly - I look a little slimmer and I feel a lot better now than I did at the end of 2020. Hardly building that much muscle mass at my age from just walking? I'm 50 in June and really wanted to be in better shape for that.

Why are weighing scales such bitches :D

Weighed myself the other day has lost a lb,didnt mind too much.

Weighed myself today for a laugh and suddenly i have put on a stone.:D

I have lost 8lb overall which im really happy about.Its a start.

Cant wait to see what the scale tells me next week.:D

• Advertisement

Not sure exactly how much I lost this week.

Today's weight 29th of March = 16st 7 3/4 _
    (pic attached)

Down anyway!

Was 16st 8lbs last week _
    (pic attached)

Slow and steady....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

3 days in and I'm down 4 pounds already. Doing some core exercises nightly- some light resistance work. Have swapped bread out for lentils and avoiding snacking at night. Will see at week end where I'm at but it's a start.

Just take it easy enough though maybe don't lose too much straight away .Not sure what you want to shed but most advice is a steady loss over a period of time .

Lost another 3lb ,which im delighted with..
    As i was beginning to feel like it wasnt shifting and i was beginning to lose hope a little bit.
    So that gave me the kick up the arse i needed to keep going.

29th of March = 16st 7 3/4

12th of April = 16st 2 1/2

Didn't do nearly as much training the last week or so yet weight down (according to scales*)

*hope it's not malfunctioning ^_^

Finally made my 83kg target, a few chippers in the final fortnight slowed me up a bit I think.
    Having a good scales, weighing at the same time every day and keeping a 7 day average helped to me to keep track.
    Even when I was up for a few days, I could see that the overall trend was down.

2hnJQzT.png

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭2 fast

I really need to get back in the game, had lost 1.5st but put back up 7lbs if eating pure ****e. Stomach n mouth are in bits.

Started taking a prebiotic so hoping this will help curb the sugar cravings .

Well done everyone ðŸ‘

Does anyone find some days its hard to eat all of their calories.
    Im on 1600 a day and some days i seem to stay stuck on 12 or 1300 calories.
    Im full so i dont want to eat more.

Other days of course i could eat for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Do a weekly average target rather than a daily target. It will allow for you to cater to your instincts in terms of hunger/appetite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dubstarr wrote: »
    Does anyone find some days its hard to eat all of their calories.
    Im on 1600 a day and some days i seem to stay stuck on 12 or 1300 calories.
    Im full so i dont want to eat more.

Other days of course i could eat for Ireland.

If you full there’s no need to eat more. It’s a limit, not a target*. Bank the calories, you might need them later.

*subject to meeting minimum needs.

Advertisement