Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options
1838485868789»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Weighed myself yesterday.Lost another 5lb. So thats a stone and 2 lb i have lost all together.

Can anyone recommend a body shaper to wear under my clothes? I lost 5/6 stone and left with a belly bulge I can shift I’ve come to terms I probably never will but is there anything I can wear under clothes to tighten and pull back the bulge?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Can anyone recommend a body shaper to wear under my clothes? I lost 5/6 stone and left with a belly bulge I can shift I’ve come to terms I probably never will but is there anything I can wear under clothes to tighten and pull back the bulge?

Spanx for men. I’m assuming you’re a man

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Spanx for men. I’m assuming you’re a man

I am lol where can I buy them? What would you recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I am lol where can I buy them? What would you recommend

Sorry I don’t personally wear them but I know they exist. Google the website I guess and you’ll get more info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Another 3 lb lost.Down to 12 stone 6 lb.
    My BMI was 35.1
    Now it's 30.8
    My weight starting was 14 stone 2
    Now it's 12 stone 6

Slowly but surey im getting there

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sheeply

Hi all. Back on the wagon for 1,000th time. I finally braved the scales last Friday after months of avoidance. Was sobering to see I'm 274 lbs with a BMI of 42.9. (29F, 5'7). I've been here before. Believe it or not I tipped the scales at 282 last April, my highest ever lost 25 lbs and now I'm nearly back there again. In 2018 I hit 273 and lost 20 lbs before gaining back to 282.

I carry it all in my belly making the health implications even worse. Suffer from binge eating disorder. It's hard to stay positive but after a sobering weigh in, i felt sad and defeated but now I'm just trying to put one foot in front of the other.

Here's the thing. I really cannot afford to fall off this wagon. I can't stick my head back in sand. I know I need to force myself to reach out online and get the support and accountability.

I don’t want to see 274 on the scales ever again. This is my third time getting this big. I turn 30 this year and would really like to do so without being morbidly obese - that means dropping 25 lbs by November.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Niall_76

I’m a binger myself. That wagon is hard to hold onto but it can be done. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Three conclusions from a study of some participants in The Biggest Loser. The first is not a big surprise:

First and most fundamentally, it suggests that abrupt and colossal weight loss generally will backfire, since that strategy seems to send resting metabolic rates plunging more than would be expected, given people’s smaller body sizes. When people drop pounds gradually in weight-loss experiments, he pointed out, their metabolic changes tend to be less drastic.

But the next one is counter-intuitive:

Second and more befuddling, if you have lost substantial weight, “Biggest Loser” style, exercise likely will be both ally and underminer in your efforts to keep those pounds at bay. In Dr. Hall’s new interpretation of contestants’ long-term weight control, frequent exercise kept contestants’ resting metabolic rates low but also helped them stave off fat regain. In essence, the contestants who worked out the most wound up adding back the least weight, even though they also sported the slowest relative resting metabolisms.

Thirdly, some good news:

For now, though, the most reverberant lesson of “The Biggest Loser” may be that long-term weight loss, although daunting, is not unfeasible. Yes, most “Biggest Loser” contestants regained weight, Dr. Hall said, but not necessarily every pound they dropped. After six years, most still weighed about 12 percent less than before joining the show, a meaningful difference, and the most successful of the former contestants were those who still worked out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/15/well/move/exercise-weight-loss-metabolism.html?referringSource=articleShare

Advertisement