Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best FX rate or dollar account

Options
  • 04-12-2012 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

I get regular payments from the US, which used to be an every-few-months thing but is now every couple of weeks, and I'm noticing that BoI are hitting me with a €5 foreign exchange charge every time, which is stupidly expensive and will cost me €120 a year now.

Is there a bank with an acceptable FX rate and charge, or (failing that) a bank which can give me a good dollar account?

BoI do a dollar account, but they want me to keep minimum £10,000 (sterling equivalent) worth in it to avoid maintenance charges, so (considering that plus the FX gouging) screw them; any better?

Any other thoughts on ways to get most out of dollar to euro conversions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Excuse the bump. Anyone got some good info on this? (is there a better forum to ask?)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

First, bumping: no. Please take a look at the charter.

Second: the charges are pretty much in line with the products offered around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

currency.ie offer good FX rates but generally for larger amounts.

Shop around for the best USD account.

Invetec, PTSB, BoI, AIB and others offer USD accounts. Ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thepaddyfla

I get regular payments from the US, which used to be an every-few-months thing but is now every couple of weeks, and I'm noticing that BoI are hitting me with a €5 foreign exchange charge every time, which is stupidly expensive and will cost me €120 a year now.

Is there a bank with an acceptable FX rate and charge, or (failing that) a bank which can give me a good dollar account?

BoI do a dollar account, but they want me to keep minimum £10,000 (sterling equivalent) worth in it to avoid maintenance charges, so (considering that plus the FX gouging) screw them; any better?

Any other thoughts on ways to get most out of dollar to euro conversions appreciated.
    Not sure if this helps but have a look at opening a neteller account pretty sure you would be able to figure out something that way. Just a guess

Advertisement