Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stolen iMac - advice from smarter techie people needed

• 04-12-2012 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

Apartment burgled, iMac gone. Find my iPhone (iCloud, Mountain Lion) is installed and running so waiting for it to connect to wifi, assuming thief doesn't do a clean install first.

My GMail is logged in in the browser so I'll have their ip if they open that in one of the browsers.

Sadly, no dropbox running.

Some thoughts:

1. Is there any way of viewing my router access logs to see when the iMac was no longer connected? (Wifi) That would help us place the time of the break-in.

2. If I get their IP, can/will the ISP give the Gardaí the user details?

3. Ideas from people smarter than me?

Have serial, MAC, etc too. Constantly refreshing Fine My IPhone / emails for notification.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

There might be logs of the attached pcs on your router, but it very much depends on the router. Keep refreshing Find my Mac I think. Not sure about the rest of the questions you have, but best of luck, what a ****ty thing to happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Tbh it's unlikely the guards will be any help at all. Even if you get a rough fix on your Mac's location via Find My Mac, you'll probably have to go after it yourself.

You might want to consider changing account details etc to protect your private data. Especially if you have any stuff synced with the cloud or IMAP as the thief may start manually deleting data which will then deleted from the cloud also. I remember somebody once had this happen with DropBox and all their files were deleted.

Hard luck, I hope you get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Thanks guys. They also took a load of the other housemates' stuff so we're hoping it will lead us to their stuff too. May be even months before its sold on to someone who puts it online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Another Q: I've left my GMail untouched so I can see the IP if the open the browser to that, then I have their IP. If they use the Mail app, which is set up to my gmail account, will that show up under 'Recent Activity' in GMail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Speaking of stolen Mac's this always gives me a laugh :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

banquo wrote: »
    Another Q: I've left my GMail untouched so I can see the IP if the open the browser to that, then I have their IP. If they use the Mail app, which is set up to my gmail account, will that show up under 'Recent Activity' in GMail?

Pretty sure its under "details " at the bottom of the web page....

Advertisement