Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, Boards.ie has a bigot/sectarian Moderator now?

Options
  • 04-12-2012 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Was shocked and tbh, quite sickened when I read some of the comments posted by a moderator that has been a member of this site for 10+ years.

Judge for yourself.

In a thread about the Union Jack being removed from Belfast's city hall, except from certain, designated days (after a democratic vote by Councillors may I add) the mod in question thought it appropriate to post the following remarks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056823074
    If the ra heads and shinners don't like it they can feck off to the republic. Oh wait they still want to take the Queens money for the free national health. Bunch of self serving hypocrites.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82075024&postcount=609
    I favour the abolition of the free state and a return to the pre 1922 situation.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82075297&postcount=612
    They have a choice, Dundalk and beyond.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82076012&postcount=620

You might well argue that those posts were of a 'political' nature, rather than of a sectarian one, until you come to this one in particular.
    I am not a mod of this forum.

For your information my family ran the catholics from Armagh. My family made good use of their land.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82078941&postcount=665

Proud of the fact or something?

That post in partiucular was a rather nasty and venomous one, and if anything could be considered clearly very anti-catholic in particular.

How, can a mod of an Irish owned and operated website be expected to ever be taken seriously now by a large number of posters , after such a blatant display of anti-Irish catholicism now?

quite disgusted.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Mods are regular users outside of their respective forums so report the posts and they'll be dealt with as such. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ghandee wrote: »
    How, can a mod of an Irish owned and operated website be expected to ever be taken seriously now by a large number of posters , after such a blatant display of anti-Irish catholicism now?

quite disgusted.

You must visit the Atheism & Agnosticism forum sometime... /joke

Serious answer:

Has it affected the way they've moderated the forums under their name? Probably not. Politics brings out polarities between people. It doesn't dictate whether they're decent mods or not.

In summary - Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Steve wrote: »
    Mods are regular users outside of their respective forums so report the posts and they'll be dealt with as such. :)

I get that Steve.

I'm only glad i do not frequent the motors forum as sadly I would be left with no choice but to disregard this mods authority.

If the rants displayed were against certain races or ethnic minorities their would be uproar (and rightly so)

I think its very important that boards does not come across as being complicit here, just because the rants were anti Irish-catholic ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I get that Steve.

I'm only glad i do not frequent the motors forum as sadly I would be left with no choice but to disregard this mods authority.

If the rants displayed were against certain races or ethnic minorities their would be uproar (and rightly so)

I think its very important that boards does not come across as being complicit here, just because the rants were anti Irish-catholic ones.

The whole thread has descended into a juvenile display of triumphalism and bigotry to be honest and three posters have been told not to post again. Lets face it, the poster in question had plenty of abuse directed at him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I get that Steve.

Being a mod has nothing to do with it. They're a poster just like you outside their forums. As suggested, use the report post function if you're upset by what's posted and the local mods can deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

So Mods can be bigots or whatever ,as long as it is not on their own forum. Thats ridiculous.If you are going to have Moderators pontificating to the rest of us about what we can and cannot say,then the Moderators themselves should behave in a proper manner EVERY TIME THEY POST irrespective of the forum.If they want to have extreme views they should not be Mo:mad:derators

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Look at from this way: he mods one (or more) forum(s).
    Outside of those he's held in the same light as any other member.

Now sure, you can argue the fact he's been here 11 years or he's a mod that he should be more tolerant and careful with how he says things but honestly... he's as equal to me in he rules he'll abide by in other forums so just report them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

If you said that stuff in the north to someone you'd end up in court, disgraceful.

When someone is a mod it means the site has chosen them to be one - it looks like a seal of approval on that poster, and that they represent the site.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

There are two issues here:

1. A boards user's (mod or not, doesn't matter) behaviour on a thread which is for the local forum mods to deal with.

2. The fact that the user is perceived to be a representative of boards because of their status. I agree, that's a tough cookie.

Personally, I feel a bit restricted by point 2 when posting in general but it's never really been an imposed condition of being a mod here. Over to the admins I guess, this it their remit. :)

GRMA wrote: »
    If you said that stuff in the north to someone you'd end up in court, disgraceful.

When someone is a mod it means the site has chosen them to be one - it looks like a seal of approval on that poster, and that they represent the site.

I think they represent the boards they moderate. I think of it as someone working in a job; they're to be nice and pleasant when acting in the roe of a mod, but outside of them doing "mod" things, they're no different than anyone else.

The only argument that I'd even make is that things that are painfully obvious that's breaking the site-wide charter should probably be punished harsher and for the most part, I think I've seen the argument of "well you're a mod so you know you can't flame/troll/harass/etc" been used it at least one dispute against a moderator disputing an infraction or something on another forum that they don't moderate.

• Advertisement

I think they represent the boards they moderate. I think of it as someone working in a job; they're to be nice and pleasant when acting in the roe of a mod, but outside of them doing "mod" things, they're no different than anyone else.

The only argument that I'd even make is that things that are painfully obvious that's breaking the site-wide charter should probably be punished harsher and for the most part, I think I've seen the argument of "well you're a mod so you know you can't flame/troll/harass/etc" been used it at least one dispute against a moderator disputing an infraction or something on another forum that they don't moderate.
    If I made sectarian comments or the like outside of work, even just on facebook, I could expect to be, at the very least, reprimanded by my employers, and probably sacked.

If I made sectarian comments or the like outside of work, even just on facebook, I could expect to be, at the very least, reprimanded by my employers, and probably sacked.

But mods don't work here. All you can do is report them and hope they warned/infracted/banned. Just think of each forum as having different rules. Not that mods are supposed to be representing the entire site.
    If you *really* disagree and the posts aren't deleted, then PM one of the mods to talk about it (the mods of the forum that the posts were posted on). At the end of the day, as much as I hate to say it, it was in After Hours. People are given more leeway there. But just report it and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Is it not a unspoken rule that if you are a mod you have to toe the line??

Mods do represent the whole site though. If a mod is consistently getting carded or banned, that would be looked into by the Admins. Not familiar with the mod in this case. Could have been in the heat of the moment, and he got carded for his post.

I just think that the site would be concerned about being represented by someone making disgraceful bigoted and sectarian comments like that

At the end of the day it doesnt really effect me, but it's an issue the site should look at

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I don't see much of an issue here to be honest.
    As has been said, a mod is just a regular poster when outside their own forum. They can post whatever they like and voice their own opinions, however unpopular they may be, as long as they're within the forum guidelines/charter.
    If there is a problem, and their post falls outside those guidelines, then the local mod will step in and put a stop to it. Which is exactly what happened in this case. An AH mod took action and threw the poster out of the thread. That was the action the mod saw as applicable in this case.

It'd be a different story if the mod was consistently racist or trolling or whatever. Maybe then would their mod status need to be reconsidered.
    The poster in question doesn't seem to have a history of this type of stuff and seems to be generally a good mod and a good contributor to the site. It may be just a subject close to the bone and got a little heated.
    I don't think any further action is warranted in this case tbh.

Just my 2c.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I just think that the site would be concerned about being represented by someone making disgraceful bigoted and sectarian comments like that

You should try to find out if there are any job vacancies going at the Daily Mail. Your sensationalist style would fit in nicely there.

Larianne wrote: »
    Is it not a unspoken rule that if you are a mod you have to toe the line??

Mods do represent the whole site though. If a mod is consistently getting carded or banned, that would be looked into by the Admins. Not familiar with the mod in this case. Could have been in the heat of the moment, and he got carded for his post.

They don't represent it outside of their forums/dispute resolution or whatever.
    If they're being a "mod" and acting like a jackass then sure, then it's a problem.

But if they're just being a dick, they're just being a dick.

At the end of the day it doesnt really effect me, but it's an issue the site should look at

What issue? A mod posted bad comments outside of moderation activities? Report them, then. Worse case, nothing happens. Best case, we find out he's been abusing his power and he's removed from being a mod.

You should try to find out if there are any job vacancies going at the Daily Mail. Your sensationalist style would fit in nicely there.
    You don't think they were disgraceful comments?

I see.

I'll leave you all to it I guess.

I see.

I'll leave you all to it I guess.

Okay I'm guessing you're just trying to cause trouble for the sake of trouble.

I'll be very, very blunt about it (and I'm not a mod so don't try pulling that card): Report the fecking posts if you have that much of a problem instead of winging about it.

Well seeing as you didn't report anything, are we to take it you didn't have a problem with them and are only stirring now for the sake of it?

Really? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Well seeing as you didn't report anything, are we to take it you didn't have a problem with them and are only stirring now for the sake of it?

^This.

Clearly, GRMA was so disgusted that he/she was unable to find the report button.

Nice one.

I saw the card, that the post had been actioned, then I saw this thread so decided to post here, hardly an irregular development

El Weirdo wrote: »
    ^This.

Clearly, GRMA was so disgusted that he/she was unable to find the report button.

You're joking? So none of the posts in that topic he/she's going on about were reported by GRMA?

Nice one.

I saw the card, that the post had been actioned, then I saw this thread so decided to post here, hardly an irregular development

WTF? SO something WAS done and you're still complaining?

Would you like the mod to be removed from Boards completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Nice one.

So did your disgust appear before or after you responded to the post in question 18 mins before the infraction was issued?

Zing!

Dean09 wrote: »
    Zing!

Off topic but it reminds me in one those films, where the suspect is being questioned and the police officer comes out with "so you were the victim and the man attacked you? Was that before or after you mugged the man" :pac:

Off topic but it reminds me in one those films, where the suspect is being questioned and the police officer comes out with "so you were the victim and the man attacked you? Was that before or after you mugged the man" :pac:

Like an episode of Murder She Wrote! :D

Nice one.

I can see your point but this is the feedback forum - for feedback.

Feedback in this case would be for you (or anyone else) to point out that, perhaps, a moderator decision,or a users action, was not in line with site policy, or indeed, site policy needs to be reviewed in light of what happened.

Are you saying that you think the moderator acted inappropriately in this case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't see why he should be hounded for stating his political opinions, is it a crime to be a Unionist?

In my view the only comment that could be perceived as being bigoted in the true sense of the word was the one about driving Catholics off their land, which I think he said in the heat of the moment. There was plenty of vitriolic abuse flying around the thread by that stage and a lot of people made silly comments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement