Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about warranty and IMEI number

Options
  • 05-12-2012 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If I buy a phone but don't have a receipt am I still covered by a manufacturer's 1 year warranty? Could they use the IMEI number or some other number? Does an IMEI number tell them when it was manufactured or how would they know that it's still less than the 1 year term? And who would I contact if the phone is faulty and don't have a receipt, the manufacturer directly?

Thanks for the help!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Your Carrier can use your date of activation to determine when you started your service, however, your Manufacturer of your phone is not your Carrier, and this alone is not Proof of Purchase to determine when you bought a good or when it's warranty period began. You would be wise to retain your receipt; there is no way for example to prove you didn't buy a refurbished model or just bought it from a friend. The only way you get to when that argument is around product availability dates: Manufacturers can still be dicks if they want, but I have won a couple disputes where the product they warranted was simply not available on the market for the period they were claiming to warranty it for. This doesn't hold true though if you were to say buy a new iPhone 4S but didn't keep the receipt, as it could have easily gone through someone else's hands, and has been available for about 15 months now.

Advertisement