Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pet insurance...

• 05-12-2012 12:24am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    We want to get our kitty insured but really don't know who to go with...can anyone recommend us a company?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

I have bruno with petinsure and I find them very good regarding claims for vet fees etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We have both our cats insured with Allianz. I pay 100 euro excess if they need any treatment and I don't pay anything after that. They pay the vet directly so all we have to do is sign the form at the vets and its taken care of. We've had to make a few claims and never had any problems. I've got to take one of my cats this morning as his jaw is swollen and he's not well. It's great peace of mind knowing that we can get him any veterinary treatment that he needs.

It costs us 25 euro a month to cover both our cats, but as I said we've made a few claims so the premium went up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I gave up on pet insurance when I realised that my aged dog's €200-ish treatments were costing me something like €350, counting the insurance and the excess on two separate lots of pills for different things.

I'd been paying since she was a pup, and had been told then that it was really worth it, because I wouldn't have to pay when she got sick. That was true then - a €4,000 bill for her operation after she ripped open her groin on a jagged tree branch was almost totally covered.

But by last year, I was being expected to pay one-third of every bill, plus paying the €100 excess on each separate illness - and the vet had treated her for arthritis and for an infection.

I just had to give it up. She hasn't since had treatment for her arthritis - the vet was going to give her a series of steroid injections - but we're careful about too much exercise and give her painkillers when she needs them and lots of massage-y stroking, and she seems to be doing fine, though she's getting older and older, poor little darling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

But by last year, I was being expected to pay one-third of every bill, plus paying the €100 excess on each separate illness - and the vet had treated her for arthritis and for an infection.
    I'm with Allianz too, and I've just noticed (it wasn't exactly made obvious) on my recent renewal notice that I've to pay 35% on top of the standard €100 excess too. I can't remember if it was the same last year, and I can't find last year's renewal notice any more, so I'm wondering whether this a new thing across the board, or just because our two cats have just turned 10?

I was told that the insurance companies had expected Ireland to be like Britain, where you hook people in on pet insurance and then get their home & life & car cover - but Irish people really don't insure their pets, so it didn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Alun wrote: »
    I'm with Allianz too, and I've just noticed (it wasn't exactly made obvious) on my recent renewal notice that I've to pay 35% on top of the standard €100 excess too. I can't remember if it was the same last year, and I can't find last year's renewal notice any more, so I'm wondering whether this a new thing across the board, or just because our two cats have just turned 10?

Maybe with cats this kicks in later, but it kicks in with dogs once they reach seven.

I couldn't justify continuing the insurance either. Kind of pointless once you take the excess and the 35% requirement into account. Which is probably what the insurance company wants you to do. Veterinary treatment does increase with age.

boomerang wrote: »
    Maybe with cats this kicks in later, but it kicks in with dogs once they reach seven.

I couldn't justify continuing the insurance either. Kind of pointless once you take the excess and the 35% requirement into account. Which is probably what the insurance company wants you to do. Veterinary treatment does increase with age.

It seemed, to be brutal, quite dishonest to me on the part of the insurance company I was dealing with. I was persuaded to insure my pup on the basis that this would cover her if she was ill when she got old, then when she was eight or nine and did become ill, the conditions changed. I would not wish to have any dealings with people who would deal in such a manner.

Advertisement