Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

winter babies and the cold

Options
  • 05-12-2012 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

So with the cold weather find myself bringing baby out less n less. Anyone else feel they r doing this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Just wrap them up really well. The cold weather won't do them any harm as long as they've plenty of layers to keep them warm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mine are both January babies and I brought them out for walks regularly, A snow suit a blanket and put them in the pram and they are fine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CrowWoman

I struggle with getting him in and out of the car. I dress him up in coat, hat etc. to get out there, then it's roasting in the car, but when I get where I'm going he needs coat and hat to get out again.

When my girls were born we lived in the city and walked everywhere so it wasn't an issue. I'm fairly sure I'm over-thinking this, but I feel like he's constantly either overheated or too cold.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I never let them wear their big fluffly coats in the car since I read it reduces the effectiveness of the car seat straps.

They do have a blanket each in the car and the car is warm though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skit490

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I never let them wear their big fluffly coats in the car since I read it reduces the effectiveness of the car seat straps.

They do have a blanket each in the car and the car is warm though:)
    Yes its the in n out of d car that's d difficult bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I had my first in December and found the Morrck baby hoodie (the fleece one) brilliant. It's a blanket that fits through the car seat straps, so I used to leave it in the car seat and then when you're going outside you just wrap it around the baby to keep them warm. No messing with coats on small babies and if you go somewhere warm you can just open it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The advice I have gotten is that you should be bringing babies out into the fresh air as often as possible, once they are well wrapped up. They are less likely to get colds!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

The advice I have gotten is that you should be bringing babies out into the fresh air as often as possible, once they are well wrapped up. They are less likely to get colds!

I've heard that fog is the only weather to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ariana` wrote: »
    I've heard that fog is the only weather to avoid.

Why fog?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Walking through heavy fog is the same as walking in the rain, except it's less obvious that you're getting drenched until you're already soaked through. Fog is fine provided that you put a raincover on the buggy as you would for rain.

In years gone by, smog was a major issue in cities, so it would have been advisable not to bring children out in fog, but nowadays it's fine provided that they're protected from the wet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

I brought my crittur out in the cold one day, fleecy jacket, footmuff sleeping baggy thing and her hat. I only put on her coat because she has the habit of pushing down her footmuff and I was worried about her little neck and chest being cold. Anyway then I threw on the rain cover in case in rained. When I got home she was actually sweating. It was freezing cold outside but she was so hot The rain cover had actually kept the cold out I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

The rain cover had actually kept the cold out I think.

Yeah I'll often pull the rain cover down on a cold day even if it's not raining as I find it keeps the heat in & babs nice & toasty :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I just got a Lodger Bunker delivered during the week, it's great! It has 2 layers of fleece, one you can remove for warmer weather. You can just cocoon them, then open it out when you go into the shops etc, so handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

Just wrap them up well and they are fine. If you need to take them somewhere in the car and its freezing instead of the snowsuit try putting them in a fleece sleeper a size too big so it will go over their clothes and keep them warm but not interfere with the straps (compression wise)

I'm in Canada and its currently -23 (before the windchill, in the -30s if you include it) and I get out everyday with the baby (8months) still. She has a pramsuit thats rated to -30 and the raincover on the buggy, and her sunglasses due to the brightness of the snow and she is happy out. Often she is sweating, you can tell when shes cold as she will leave her hat on, but once she heats up she pulls it off.

So in conclusion the cold wont do them any harm if you dress them right, shes never even had a cold or runny nose.

Advertisement