Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would a normal brief for a designer be?

• 05-12-2012 4:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

If a designer were asked to design a logo or artwork for a special event e.g. a televised sporting event such as the Superbowl in a Dublin pub, what kind of instructions would be given?

How specific do those commissioning the work give, and how much creative leeway do they offer? Would one offer samples of previous work, or perhaps create mock-ups for the event in question, with a view to improving them?

Just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I, myself, just see if they have any general ideas, colors, fonts, text only logo, etc, etc.
    If they have nothing, I tend to make a few quick drafts, totaling 3-6 hours work. Send the first batch over, and see what they have to say. Normally, they pick from one that I've sent the first round, but the odds client or two goes again.
    I generally recommend something along the way of the design if I disagree with the client. If s/he doesn't agree, and it doesn't look like they'll change their mind, I don't push. If the client is willing to disagree with a design or something like a logo, they're probably already set in there ways.

Keep in mind, this is just how I do it. Others might doing something completely different. You should always ask for some sample work, no matter what. Just to make sure he can actually do what he says he can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭business bloomer

If you don't want to get in trouble, agree beforehand the number of different designs you will present to the client, and the number of revisions that can be done once the design has been chosen.

Ask the client for logos and brands they like, and WHY. Always consider what their audience is and what message they are trying to convey.

Good luck!

Advertisement