Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location based threats

Options
  • 05-12-2012 5:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

I was chatting to a friend of mine in America and he was telling me about what had happened in Doyline New Orleans (Here is the news that he sent me
    800 residents from the town of Doyline, located about 270 miles northwest of New Orleans, had to be quickly evacuated after officials found over six million pounds of improperly stored explosives on the grounds of Camp Minden. Louisiana State Police say that 6 million pounds of explosives, including M6 artillery propellant, were found recklessly packed into buildings and left in open cardboard boxes on long rows of pallets outside the old Louisiana Army Ammunitions Plant. Officials are now removing the explosives, but residents are expected to be under a mandatory evacuation order for at least a couple of days.) It got me thinking of other reasons why id have to evacuate my home/area other than SHTF due to threats in my area. Here are some of the things ive come up with
    1) Weather (Flooding ,Snow,Ice)
    2) Criminal (Pipe bombs, other explosives)
    3) Fire (Mine or my neighbors house catching fire)
    4) Accidental ( I live between 2 Industrial estates and dont know what chemicals are being used by the different factories there could be an accidental spill)
    Id like to hear from anyone else as there could be something that ive over looked

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Tallking about no.4 above.Toxic gas leak on ship in co.down this morning.

The MV Arklow Meadow docked in Warrenpoint harbour with a cargo of grain on Wednesday.

It is understood that it was carrying packets of aluminium phosphide, a pesticide used to kill rodents. However, when it becomes wet it can become unstable and release gas.

Almost 20 people were treated as a result of the toxic gas leak.

Just shows you how easy a toxic gas can be formed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20609335

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

grapeape wrote: »
    Id like to hear from anyone else as there could be something that ive over looked

Not likely possibilities but:
    War
    Civil unrest & rioting
    Radiation leak
    Biotoxin release

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

if yer in Wicklow or South County Dublin, its worth remembering that the Sugarloaf is classed as a DORMANT Volcano.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

wolfeye wrote: »
    Tallking about no.4 above.Toxic gas leak on ship in co.down this morning.

The MV Arklow Meadow docked in Warrenpoint harbour with a cargo of grain on Wednesday.

It is understood that it was carrying packets of aluminium phosphide, a pesticide used to kill rodents. However, when it becomes wet it can become unstable and release gas.

Almost 20 people were treated as a result of the toxic gas leak.

Just shows you how easy a toxic gas can be formed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20609335
    I remember working in swords one summer there was an ammonia spill from one of the places off the main road everything was shut down for it a couple of kids from a special needs school nearby had to be taken to hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well I'm only a couple of miles from the oil refinery , and there's all the chemical/ pharma plants in ringaskiddy.... But so is everyone who lives near cork harbour.... Where would everyone evacuate to .....
    Brush and forest fires could be a big threat if your somewhere rural and upland ... Bog fires in the midlands if we ever get another really dry year (unlikely but it happens in Russia all the time)
    General panic if the power grid shuts down ...Russians turn off the gas ? Gas interconnecter goes haywire while moneypoint is shut ect. ect.
    Panic from hunger because of a fuel strike or shortage... Everything moves by road, no fuel no food... Probably only take a couple of days ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    if yer in Wicklow or South County Dublin, its worth remembering that the Sugarloaf is classed as a DORMANT Volcano.

Let me guess, your primary school teacher told you this? Seems to be a common geography-myth in Irish education. The sugar loaf is actually Cambrian quartzite, not volcanic in the slightest, now or ever in the past.

That's one we can take off the list ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Some of the temporary scenarios which I would consider are:
    Mains Gas leak (either on the street or in the house)
    Burst piping causing flooding of the house

I'd like to think a random (not SHTF) power outage would be rare; however last year this happened in my area of N.Dublin. luckily it was only for 8 hours but affected houses and businesses. People became so concerned that we had a neighbour drop in saying she had a gas stove if we needed to boil some water, the next day I noticed that the Tesco nearest to us had completely sold out of water. And that was only 8 hours!

evilmonkee wrote: »
    Some of the temporary scenarios which I would consider are:
    Mains Gas leak (either on the street or in the house)
    Burst piping causing flooding of the house

I'd like to think a random (not SHTF) power outage would be rare; however last year this happened in my area of N.Dublin. luckily it was only for 8 hours but affected houses and businesses. People became so concerned that we had a neighbour drop in saying she had a gas stove if we needed to boil some water, the next day I noticed that the Tesco nearest to us had completely sold out of water. And that was only 8 hours!
    Same thing happened my area yesterday its a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

sewwerage leaking causing methane gas buld up , explosion and poisoning.

happened a while ago in ireland somewhere, can't remember where exactly. Main sewer line was leaking and there was a build up of sewer gas which blew up. 2 injured i think and none killed, but i seem to remember the front wall came of the house affected, and the rest of the row was evacuated as they could have been in silmilar danger.

gas explosion due to leakage into residence more likely, had two friends killed that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

bonniebede wrote: »
    sewwerage leaking causing methane gas buld up , explosion and poisoning.

happened a while ago in ireland somewhere, can't remember where exactly. Main sewer line was leaking and there was a build up of sewer gas which blew up. 2 injured i think and none killed, but i seem to remember the front wall came of the house affected, and the rest of the row was evacuated as they could have been in silmilar danger.

gas explosion due to leakage into residence more likely, had two friends killed that way.

That happened in a ghost estate in Longford, a place called Gleann Riada. People there are living with the smell of sewage constantly, they were told to keep their windows open in case of further build up of gases :eek:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1005/longford-estate-evacuation.html

grapeape wrote: »

Geez that's bad,the landfill washed away.
    Lucky the piles stayed up or alot of people would have been killed.

wolfeye wrote: »
    Geez that's bad,the landfill washed away.
    Lucky the piles stayed up or alot of people would have been killed.
    Google landslides in the uk and click on the images there are loads of different ones its scary

yeah i noticed coastal erosion is bad in places over there, villages and houses and back gardens are falling down cliffs into the sea.
    Maybe accelerated due to the soft rock clay/chalk cliffs and dredging.
    Alot of coastal erosion on our coasts also.
    Maybe due to the lower population density dont see many houses falling into the sea here?.i'm sure it happens though.

Tsunamis may have hit kerry coast in the past.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0724/1224320710205.html

Advertisement