Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morocco.....Taghazout / Agadir Experience

Options
  • 05-12-2012 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello....

Booked myself and a mate for Morocco for a month in February to surf as much as possible! Flying in on the 15th Jan and just wondering what advice / experience people have of the Taghazout / Agadir area...??

Accomodation / surf spots / what to do on flat spells....etc etc...??

Looking at getting self-catering apartment or hotel....

Lastly, any have experience of car hire there? Are there cheaper ways of doing it then you ll find online....??

Any help would me much appreciated,

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Avoid the water after rain and the points get super super busy on local holidays, best avoided if you can't handle crowds. The place is in Africa so check to see if you are up to date on your jabs and try not to swollow the water, quality is terrible :D

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

I was thinking of heading there for the New Year. I wonder does that fall into the "local holidays" category.

I heard the surf is pretty "heavy" there. I'm still at improver/moderate level so I'm not so sure it's for me. I should start a different threat because I want to ask about other spots in west Africa....(might just go watch Endless Summer again :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nanoman

Never been to Morocco but have heard it can be very busy at the main spots. I have talked to surf berbere a bit before about going and they were good with replies but i never went in the end. Another place for New Year worth considering is Lagos, not many people go cos they think it is too cold but it is not and there are plenty of breaks. I stayed there with surfholidays before and had a great week

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

Been to Taghazout a couple of years ago for a week. First two days the place was for pros only, triple overhead all all spots! It calmed down then. I surf reefs & points here no problem, but I found the waves there really different, and only had one good day of surfing. Really powerful waves....they roll in beautifully, then hit the reefs & jack up! My tip is to bring your own board so you'll be comfortable on it. I rented one & took ages to get to grips with it.

The spots are busy, and the locals will take a lot of the waves, show respect, you'll get waves no problem. It's usually a long paddle back out, so you wont be wanting wave after wave!

Don't need any jabs for Morocco, but for sure don't drink the water, prepare to get sick too, so bring loads of immodium & motilium...it's hard to avoid it. I hit me as I was going home at the end of the week....but loads of guys I stayed with missed half the week cause of sickness etc.

Reef booties are a good idea too if you don't mind surfing in boots. I stayed with Surf Maroc, the villa.

myate wrote: »
    Don't need any jabs for Morocco, but for sure don't drink the water, prepare to get sick too, so bring loads of immodium & motilium...it's hard to avoid it.

Would strongly recommend getting a Hep A and Tetanus(if your tet ones are not up to date) jab for morocco or anywhere else with seriously dirty water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

I done a surf school there and it was nice... Can get big but there is a massive stretch of beach (Bannana & Panorama) which are for the majority of the time we where there manageable....

It is like a morgue after 5pm and would prefer Portugal everytime but a great place to just go out and surf as not much else going on.

Kinda like morocco on a busy day:eek:

282386.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rossdoc81

I was in Taghazout for a week in February 2010. The taxi lads at the airport will rob ya so don't get a taxi from the airport to Taghazout. Just get a taxi to Agadir. Then get a normal priced taxi from there up to Taghazout, or just get the bus up. The buses are modern buses and no bother bringing boards on them.

There are a few hotels in Taghazout. My one was the Atlantic guesthouse for about €15 a night. Not very fancy, but it looked out on hash point so you could check the swell in the morning from your balcony. The waves are sound. If your used to Irish reefs its no bother. Anchor Point was a bit mental with the crowd, I counted 60 out at one point. A car for a couple of days would be a good idea between the two of ye.

When its flat there is NOTHING to do and you can't buy beer in Taghazout. This is where a car would be handy to go exploring / doing tourist things. If you are just staying in Taghazout with no car, stock up on aload of beer from the huge supermarket in Agadir before you head up to Taghazout. At least then ye'll be able to have a few beers when it gets dark to pass the evening. And bring a hard drive full of films, and a few books.

Get in shape before you head out there. The points there take way more paddling staying in position and getting back to the lineup than our reefs.

Swore I'd never go back to morocco but would love to do a week south of Taghazout

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rossdoc81

I didn't get any shots heading over and can't see why you'd need to. Its easy going compared to somewhere like Indonesia. Good roads, decent buses and most things work! The food is sound, but obviously don't drink the water. I didn't get sick at all over there.

Agadir is a complete ****hole, bring two boards - regular squash tail shortboards are perfect, bring plenty of waterproof spf40 sunscreen, bring a hoody cos it's cold until sunrise, the walk to Anchors / Killers is 20-30 mins from town. You'll be walking it with the wetsuit pulled down so use sunscreen. Its tough going walking along the road in your bare feet, so bring an old pair of flip flops you can hide up at the point. Panoramas and Hash point are closeouts and not decent waves.

You could do a camp but I found it a way better experience just turning up, finding a place and figuring things out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement