Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get a decent sewing box?

• 05-12-2012 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My wife recently started a dressmaking class and she loves it. She hinted that she would like a sewing box (and kit) for Christmas. I tried to buy one online but they don't deliver to Ireland.

Can anyone recommend a place in Dublin to buy a good sewing box? Or is there a particular one you could recommend?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

After over half a century of sewing my own instinct would be - a sewing box is a much overrated item. They look very pretty with all the bits and pieces in but when you start using them:

1 the contents are usually very poor quality
    2 you very quickly end up with bits and pieces that don't have a dedicated space in the box
    3 see 1

I know it is not as pretty, but most serious stitchers would use something like a smallish toolbox, the kind that opens in layers. Go to a sewing shop and buy
    good shears, ordinary scissors for cutting paper, small pointed scissors, stitch ripper, pins with coloured plastic heads, mixed needles, a good cloth tapemeasure, a few spools of decent thread in black, white, beige, grey. No point buying random colours, they are almost never right and you buy them as you need them.

A good pair of shears (which are ONLY used for cutting fabric) can be quite an expensive item, so the selection above will cost more than you think, but much more useful than a pretty sewing box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I have a sewing box thats really just a jumble of thread, needles, scissors etc in a pretty fabric box!!

Much better would be one of those aluminum style vanity cases with layered shelves, like this:
    Aluminum-Vanity-Case-HB-107-.jpg

I have a few of these for make-up, jewellery, nail stuff - they are pretty hard wearing. I got mine on ebay years ago. I think Argos do them as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I have one of those 'tool-box' kind of sewing box but mine is made of wood, which I bought at a jumble sale. I have seen them at second-hand auctions, they go for around €20 depending on the condition. You always run out of storage space when crafting anyway. My buttons started off in the sewing box, but now I have them all in several jam jars, a different colour in each jar! They look nice on a shelf. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Thank you all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

Cath Kidston do some lovely sewing baskets.
    http://www.cathkidston.co.uk/searchadv.aspx?SearchTerm=sewing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Susie564

denmar wrote: »
    Cath Kidston do some lovely sewing baskets.
    http://www.cathkidston.co.uk/searchadv.aspx?SearchTerm=sewing

+1

I got one of the twin lid ones from my sister as a Christmas present and I love it! But would agree with other poster if you are buying "stuff" buy it individually not in a kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

I have a sewing box thats really just a jumble of thread, needles, scissors etc in a pretty fabric box!!

Much better would be one of those aluminum style vanity cases with layered shelves, like this:
    Aluminum-Vanity-Case-HB-107-.jpg

I have a few of these for make-up, jewellery, nail stuff - they are pretty hard wearing. I got mine on ebay years ago. I think Argos do them as well.

Seconded. These are brilliant and much better than the pretty but too small to be useful sewing boxes you see in the likes of Hickeys

Advertisement