Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I've decided to stat trad...

Options
  • 05-12-2012 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Well, I've been playing the violin for a good 10 years now(I'm 18) and trad music always fascinated and appealed to me. I've tried to learn some music and tunes myself, but I feel it's not really the right way to learn it; reading sheet music/watching youtube videos etc.

Would you guys recommend getting fiddle lessons? I'm sure they'd be much more beneficial than playing from sheet music or such as I'd learn how to do all the ornaments properly and learn the proper way of playing trad music instead of getting into bad habits (especially ones I've learned from classical playing :P )

I live in Sligo, so there is a good range of places to get lessons but any recommendations on teachers/places to get lessons from and any tunes to start off on are more than welcome :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

If you are in NUIG why not join the trad soc?

I sometimes play with a slow sets group here in COmhaltas HQ in Monkstown and there are a few classically trained violinists / fiddle players among the group who can be identified by their good posture and their bowing style.

I would have thought classical was more difficult than trad so I'm guessing the transition should be easy. You will probably have a much better understanding of the theory side of it that most traditional musicians.
    Zoe Conway is a good example of some one who plays trad and classical.

If you are near a Comhaltas branch they use the Foinn Seisiún series of tune books and you can download the audio file from their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

trad wrote: »
    If you are in NUIG why not join the trad soc?

I sometimes play with a slow sets group here in COmhaltas HQ in Monkstown and there are a few classically trained violinists / fiddle players among the group who can be identified by their good posture and their bowing style.

I would have thought classical was more difficult than trad so I'm guessing the transition should be easy. You will probably have a much better understanding of the theory side of it that most traditional musicians.
    Zoe Conway is a good example of some one who plays trad and classical.

If you are near a Comhaltas branch they use the Foinn Seisiún series of tune books and you can download the audio file from their website.

Yeah I was in the trad soc but when they were meeting is when I was getting out of labs so I wouldn't have had my fiddle on me! :(

I'm going to look into it next semester though! :D

Yeah, I play some trad, not much. I know abnout 6 or 7 tunes but all self taught from books etc, but I'll try looking into some Comhaltas things! :) Thanks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Have a look at

www.tradconnect.com

and

www.thesession.org

plenty of stuff there. I only mention Comhaltas because I'm familiar with it.
    One thing you will find is that there is no right way to play a tune but plenty of versions of how to play it. The main thing is to enjoy the music.

Advertisement