Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tester to developer

Options
  • 05-12-2012 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My goal is to become a developer with Java, probably web application stuff. I'm studying for the new Oracle Java certs and I've been offered an internship as a software tester. The company in question develop web applications using .NET, and I've been told that there is no opportunity to be taken on permanently....they just don't have the budget.
    So do you think I should take it? Would it look good on the CV when I'm going for development roles? I've had some interviews for graduate/junior dev roles but they still always come back that they want someone with a years industry experience.
    I've heard that testing can be boring but obviously it depends on the person. I don't want to purse a career in testing but if it leads to development then it would be good. I'm not sure what to do?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Don't waste your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

I should have mentioned.....this is a Jobbridge internship so I'll be getting the 50 euro on top of the SW payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

omen80 wrote: »
    I should have mentioned.....this is a Jobbridge internship so I'll be getting the 50 euro on top of the SW payment.

Industry experience is invaluable once you're not being exploited . I've heard a few bad things about Jobs Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

srsly78 wrote: »
    Don't waste your time.

We usually agree on stuff srsly78, however I think in this instance you are being needlessly harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

If you are currently unemployed, have never worked in industry and could continue your self study I think you should take the job.

It will give you real world work experience, get used to working in a team environment, dealing with deadlines/pressure etc.

You may find that the testing involves a lot of manual testing and that you could automate a portion of it with your Java skills or by using a testing framework.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd say finish up the certs and do it. You should be testing when developing anyway and it will look good that you are doing things to improve yourself. It's only temporary, and you can do the cert on the side.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm generally pretty sceptical about job bridge, I think many companies have used it to replace genuine jobs and used it to get free labour instead of paying an honest days wage for an honest days work.

To be fair though, this does sound like a pretty genuine internship. It'll definitely look a lot better on your CV than a blank space or non-relevant experience would. And personally, while I don't have any myself, I think it's a great idea for developers to have formal testing experience.

As long as it doesn't prevent you applying for real jobs, and it doesn't turn into a real job that you're not being paid for, I'd say to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

There were some real development internships on Jobbridge (I know coz I put one there). Why not pick one of those? And no I don't have a new one up :)

Advertisement