Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten can't shake flu

• 05-12-2012 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a kitten about 2 months ago and he has been to the vet twice already due to cat flu. He gets sore eyes which get stuck close, sneezing. She gives him a shot and has tried 2 different tratments (one liquid, one tablet) lasting a week.

They do the job and he is all cleared up for about a week then it is back again. I am taking him to the vet again tomorrow. She sorted of hinted the last time that it is an immune defficency and that there may not be much that could be done and he may need to be put down. :(

He is in great form runs around mad (has taken a real liking to the christmas tree) and he is eating, drinking and putting on plenty of weight so apart from the sore eyes and sneezing he seems like a happy kitten.

Has anyone come across situation like this before and is there anything that can be done or is the vet likely going to recommend action. We don't want him to be sick or in pain but it seems a drastic step to take

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

my cat was in a similar siuation when she was young, she was constantly having a green discharge from her nose, but all else was fine, eating and playing etc. Took her to the Vet 3 times, cost an arm and a leg with fees. I then took her to a diffferent vet, and he gave me like a 3 weeks supply of medication as in his opinion after hearing the about the other Vet, it was not good enough treatment, and within a week cured, never came back.

Not saying your Vet is no good, only you can tell this, do you feel he/she is competent?

Before considering termination, i'd be off to another Vet for a second opinion, i'm sure theres several here that recommend other Vets in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Which vet in Limerick do you go to? I would try something like L-lysine to help boost immunity, I think you can get it in health food shops, but the vet may be right that he could have FIV or FeLV which is making the infection persistent. It can be tested for with a snap test, takes 10 minutes. Cats CAN live a happy life suffering from these conditions but it is vital to keep them away from non infected cats as the diseases are very contagious, in reality they would have to be a solely indoor cat. A lot of people opt to put to sleep when they find out that their cat has these infections but it can be managed and your vet should be able to advise you about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

My little guy was a stray we had lots of trouble with the cat flu in the beginning. I don't get tablet antibiotic for the flu, we get a long lasting injection. it's much more expensive (€40) but it's the only thing that I found that works.

Your little guy will probably suffer with it for rest of his life, every time he is sick with anything else the flu will trigger again.

He may also have Feline Leukemia Virus, that will effect his immune system. I don't know a whole lot about it but I think with medication they can live with it. It's something to be monitored, also if he does, keep him indoors, cause he will just infect more cats if he is outside and get in fights. :(

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html

Ask the vet for the test, my vet quoted me €50 to have the test done.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

The vet is in charleville. She seems to know her stuff and explained about feline aids etc. the last time we were there. If she does bring up termination I will def be seeking a second opinion.

We have a 4 & a half year old neutered female cat who has never been sick a day in her life. She sleeps in a shed at night and is in and out during the day. She couldn't stand to be in same room as him originally but they are grand now (not best buds or anything but fine) She was given flu tablets as a precaution when he was but she has shown no signs of any infections.

I would hate to have to keep him restricted indoors as he is already anxious to get out as he tries to hide and run out when we open the door for her. I have started taking him in my arms to let her out in the morning and put her to bed at night just to get him used to sights and smells.

Have an appointment at 11 in the morning again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Ok so George was at vet this morning.

He has put on 0.6kg in 2 & 1/2 weeks which they said is good. He has now been put on tablets for 3 weeks. It's Ronaxan (Doxycycline 20mg) Fingers crossed he responds well now

• Advertisement
Advertisement