Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of a problem with MARSUPIALS

Options
  • 05-12-2012 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hey folks, I'm living in a house and I think we have a rat problem. The other night we heard what sounded like mice running around, initially we thought it was 1 of the lads it was that loud. Planted traps yesterday and 1 went off last night. The thing was so big that the trap only stunned it and it had 2 be finished off with the end of a brush. The guy who owns the house says its only a big mouse, I only saw a picture and it was fairly massive, its body looked a bit bigger then half my foot. I'm the kind who just goes with flow but I'm wondering should I get out of this house if its rat infested or will it be grand for the last 2 months I'm ere in the house. Another trap went off during the night but caught nothing. We live inbetween a derelict house and a derelict house thats been renovated..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I assume you're in Australia / South America then? There are no marsupials outside of those regions (other than in zoos)

If they're 'big mice' in Ireland, they're rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭TKline

Sounds like a possum (assuming you really are in Australia).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsupial
    We live inbetween a derelict house and a derelict house thats been renovated..
    It is quite possible that the construction work has disturbed it / them and/or they have moved because of heat or food.

Deprive them of food and they won't hand around - make sure bins are secure and keep food in upper cupboards and keep the place generally clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

On a slightly different topic, a friend has had mice in their property, lots of them. Their landlord put down poison and killed them all, but now they have a really bad smell from all the decomposing bodies.

The landlord is being unresponsive and the smell has gotten so bad they are considering moving out. They actually had friends over for dinner and their friends left because they couldn't stand the smell. It is worst in the daughter's bedroom and she is now in with them.

What are their rights? I think the landlord is in breach and they have the right to move out. I suggested they get in someone to sort it out and deduct it from their rent.

any suggestions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

On a slightly different topic, a friend has had mice in their property, lots of them. Their landlord put down poison and killed them all, but now they have a really bad smell from all the decomposing bodies.

The landlord is being unresponsive and the smell has gotten so bad they are considering moving out. They actually had friends over for dinner and their friends left because they couldn't stand the smell. It is worst in the daughter's bedroom and she is now in with them.

What are their rights? I think the landlord is in breach and they have the right to move out. I suggested they get in someone to sort it out and deduct it from their rent.

any suggestions?

What do they want. They hassle the landlord about mice and then complain when he gets rid of them? Are tenants so helpless these days that they can't set a mousetrap.
    The reality is more likely that it was their poor standards of hygiene and tidiness that led to the mice establishing themselves to eat the mess that they created. Now that the mice are dead they have to smell their own filth for a change. Tell them to buy a j cloth and some detergent and get to work!

• Advertisement

Kosseegan wrote: »

What do they want. They hassle the landlord about mice and then complain when he gets rid of them? Are tenants so helpless these days that they can't set a mousetrap.
    The reality is more likely that it was their poor standards of hygiene and tidiness that led to the mice establishing themselves to eat the mess that they created. Now that the mice are dead they have to smell their own filth for a change. Tell them to buy a j cloth and some detergent and get to work!

The mice were there when they moved in.

When mice die, they aren't considerate enough to do it in the open, they do it under floor boards and in wall cavities.

Does anyone have any sensible suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

When mice die, they aren't considerate enough to do it in the open, they do it under floor boards and in wall cavities.

Can they prove mice were there when they moved in?
    They should have bought a few mousetraps. They are really cheap.

I think they are fairly stuffed now, LL responded to their request. They do not have grounds to break their lease IMO.

Can they prove mice were there when they moved in?
    They should have bought a few mousetraps. They are really cheap.

I think they are fairly stuffed now, LL responded to their request. They do not have grounds to break their lease IMO.

They've been there for just under two months. They asked the Landlord to sort out the mice after a week of being there. Unless these are special forces mice that parachuted in unnoticed, I would say they were there when they moved in.

They are paying over €2k per month to rent the place, having it odour free seems pretty reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I know this problem, grew up in a very old house where sometimes a rat died underneath the floorboards and the smell is surely disgusting.

but bodies don't decompose forever, it takes in average 3-4 weeks for a rat.

so the only thing to do for your friends is to weather it out, it stops smelling sooner or later.
    they should make sure to keep rats away in first place, but at the same time it's not always possible in rural places and old houses.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

With respect of the other rodents, marsupials or other creatures that are scurrying around- I'd seriously suggest getting sonic deterents- they do work (if placed according to instructions). Note- do not use them if you have pet guinea pigs or hamsters.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

smccarrick wrote: »
    With respect of the other rodents, marsupials or other creatures that are scurrying around- I'd seriously suggest getting sonic deterents- they do work (if placed according to instructions). Note- do not use them if you have pet guinea pigs or hamsters.......
    Note that such devices may cause a nuisance to children and some adults with unreduced(?) hearing.

I was kept awake for 3 solid weeks! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

The alleged mice are now dead so they won't hear them in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

The alleged mice are now dead so they won't hear them in any case.

If you can smell the dead body so can other animals however it may smell like Sunday roast to another rat etc and they could be on again. Best to use some sort of killing device for the next few weeks.

Advertisement