Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Modern" browsers

Options
  • 05-12-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

So, due to the ads and tracking on Boards.ie causing this googleads.g.doubleclick.net
    to populate my browser back button, I have reinstalled Firefox.

But I digress. I also use Chrome. But not for Boards.ie or any other non-work related site, because there is no option to delete history on exit. I guess Google wants to be able to check what you have done any and every time they wish.

Which is the source of my problem with Boards.ie and Internet Explorer. Boards.ie is populated with third party trackers relaying your browsing to Google, but because my IE is old it doesn't manage the trackers properly. Which turns out is a good thing because it shows them to me when I want to browse back a page as googleads.g.doubleclick.net.

So now the shiny modern Chrome is not being used and I have Firefox. But wait, now I can't set the Tabs to open my homepage, though I am informed I can download something else which will correct this. Also, further research suggests I may have to download something else to stop the googleads.g.doubleclick.net in the apparently not unlikely event that FF starts to exhibit this annoyance also.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Firefox is as modern as Chrome ;) , but yes it will load a dial page rather than a homepage when opening a new tab, unless you use an addon to work around this. Google Chrome itself actually sends all your browsing through google servers, type in boards.ie in the address bar and it will go through Googles own server before loading the page, not sure if this is still the case but it definitely used to be. SRIron is a Chrome build without this and other Google tracking features built into the Chrome browser itself.
    Have you tried Adblock Plus? You can get this for both Chrome and Firefox and should sort that annoyance out. You can set it to allow non invasive Google ads, or block all of them completely

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

yoyo wrote: »
    Firefox is as modern as Chrome ;) , but yes it will load a dial page rather than a homepage when opening a new tab, unless you use an addon to work around this.
    No add-ons needed ... open about:config, find browser.newtab.url and set it to whatever you want. I find about:blank works very well, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Yes but wont that make it hard going to things YOU DO WANT TO GOTO?? (It will block it and instead goto about:blank (If im understanding you correctly which i think i am))

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Opera is the only one at this point in time that supports more Of HTML5 then any other browser in the market.

Chrome with its cache makes it a nightmare to program JS with, I like Firefox for its firebug plug in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Cork24 wrote: »
    Opera is the only one at this point in time that supports more Of HTML5 then any other browser in the market.
    IE10 supposedly has full HTML5 support. I also find that browser to be especially fast during page renders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

mitosis wrote: »
    So, due to the ads and tracking on Boards.ie causing this googleads.g.doubleclick.net
    to populate my browser back button, I have reinstalled Firefox.

Over the last week I am continually finding with boards that the back button on IE9 is not working due to this "googleads/doubleclick" issue - as I understand it this is something to do with Boards using Google ads?

A "fix" was to add doubleclick to my list of restricted sites - but now I'm plagued with "an add-on for this website (boards) failed to load" boxes.

Is there a fix? Are Boards doing something about this? Or do I have to change browser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

To be honest IE seems to be a bit of a nightmare at the moment.

Constant 'enable/disable add on' pop ups, not being able to access Outlook Web Access and general flakiness it's just not worth the bother.

Firefox quite stable, but reckon I might give Opera another try as an addicted tweaker & tryer :o

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭BENDERS LINKS

Is there a fix? Are Boards doing something about this? Or do I have to change browser?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=228

Advertisement