Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment System for online business

Options
  • 05-12-2012 11:48am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭

What is the best online payment system available for customers who are making payments? Is it paypal, should I contact my bank or is there another system I could use? What I am looking for is reliability, help if there is a dispute re a payment that the customer says was paid but may or may not be etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Search Online credit card charges in the search box above, select this forum and the most recent first. There have been loads of great threads and posts with pricing and user experiences which should help you pick a provider.

We use PayPoint.ie because we sell online in multi-currency and it works well and they have both Euro and £Stg machines for offline purchases.

Cheers

Peter

We are in the process of dropping Paypal ( we are b2b) due to the high costs and some very negative feedback from others on merchant treatment in relation to disputes.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

As above poster says search the forums for some great advice re costs.

I use Realex with a merchant account from Elavon (BOI)
    I also have Paypal which is an alternative for people to pay.

Despite Paypal's higher costs it is beneficial to also have because it means customers enter their email address and password and the payment is made. Its easier for them to do this and fiddle around for their credit card etc etc. Once you have a customer this far you don't want to loose them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Giving people the option to pay by Paypal is a good idea IMHO
    Using it as your primary or only method of payment wouldn't be a good idea as it costs so much compared to other methods ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 M.umair

paypal is the best way to exchange money online.There is many spam or fraud so you have to trust on site like paypal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

When it goes wrong for a merchant with PayPal it can go very wrong. Read this post for more info http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056817562.

Cheers

Peter

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it.

Thanks guys. I have checked out the previous threads and looked at the various online payment systems. I also sent an email to a few. Only Realex and Paypal look decent. Could the Waterboy or anyboy who has dealt with Realex advise me how it has been for them or if they have had any hassle with them? How are they if you have any fraudulent transactions?

Realex got back to me promptly advising that it is €29 a month and the first 350 transactions are free. Thereafter any excess is charged at 12% which seems hefty. They advise also that they do not charge a % per transaction but that my bank BoI may do. Would anybody recommend having a Realex and a Paypal Acct or just one? The major issue with Paypal seemed to be tha they did not deal with laser transactions which are now finished. Cheers for any advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sakinah

micromary wrote: »
    The major issue with Paypal seemed to be tha they did not deal with laser transactions which are now finished. Cheers for any advise.

I wouldn't worry about this, AIB for example are in the process of posting all customers out a Visa Debit to replace the Laser...I got mine last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

micromary wrote: »
    The major issue with Paypal seemed to be tha they did not deal with laser transactions which are now finished. Cheers for any advise.

As was linked to earlier in the thread the major issue with Paypal is their treatment of chargebacks, fraudulent card usage and account hackings. Despite the retailer having no access to the card security screening information (or lack of as the case may be) the retailer is the one whose money is taken directly from their account if paypal pass a bad transaction along with the bank fees for the chargeback too which Paypal are happy to pass on.

Be very very careful if accepting paypal for any goods that are easily resold (which would be the type of goods stolen cards and hacked paypal accounts would be used for)

Cheers for the advise. I won't be accepting or delivering any goods. Main will purely a service based giving - for the first while anyways until I get going.

• Advertisement

Just got an email from a company called Sage re Sage Pay Go payment system. Anybody used them as a payment source and what did they think of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Blacknight wrote: »
    Giving people the option to pay by Paypal is a good idea IMHO
    Using it as your primary or only method of payment wouldn't be a good idea as it costs so much compared to other methods ..

I posted on another thread about this just the other day - how expensive are paypal? Using Realex and Elevon etc. they seem to charge around 1.8% V 2.7% with paypal, so you save around 1% but have extra admin and standing costs etc.?

From what I can see you can setup paypal in a few minutes and if there is a need for a second option it can be added earlier, but 1% difference is hardly excessive.

Except for laser cards which seemed to attract a standing charge but are no obsolete.

Will visa debit be the same fee as standard visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

from what i have researched paypal is good value up to €1000 incoming per month, after that you would need sagepay or similar.

jamesbil wrote: »
    from what i have researched paypal is good value up to €1000 incoming per month, after that you would need sagepay or similar.

By that do you mean giving them a option or if you reach €1000 or thereabouts per month advise customers to use realex? I am getting set up with paypal as we speak and see how it goes first of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

no, I mean use only paypal if turnover will be below €1000 per month, if its over use a gateway and add paypal as an option.
    i have spent a fair bit of time researching for my own soon to launch site, if you want to discuss more p/m me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

M.umair wrote: »
    paypal is the best way to exchange money online.There is many spam or fraud so you have to trust on site like paypal.

Pardon?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

I've previously used tons of different payment processors and each have their pros and cons. Realex have a new offering called Carapay which is being released soon. Depending on the types of transaction i found them to offer the best overall package and support.

Couldn't do any harm to chat to WorldNet either. They also look pretty slick

May do after the Christmas period re Worldnet. At the moment while I am setting up Paypal will do the job. I am still waiting to speak re my Merchant ID but there is no rush on that. I have noone outside say a bad word re Realex. However Sage seem desperate for business. I got a long winded msg yesterday on my phone. I wrote back this morning advising that I will check it out in the New Year and if interested will revert. I got an email back that they will be in touch in any case whether they have heard from me or not!

Advertisement