Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Making Friends Help

• 05-12-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi guys

I have a 4 year old Red Setter (Male) - Beautiful temperament

My sister has a 1 year old Weimaraner (female) - Very boisterousruis and playful

Problem - I cant take dog to visit my parents, she cant take dog to us. Can't midn when we go away on holidays

They dont get on, the Red Setter isnt interested in playing, and the Weimaraner is constaly at the Red Setter, its relentless. He just spends his time running around in circles trying to get away. He is tortured and he is too soft/gentle to let her know he is the boss, and to leave him alone. We gave them both bones one day and she took his off him, he didnt even fight for his food. Just let her take it.

Anyone have any tips on how I can get these 2 dogs to get along with each other? as it would make my life so much easier

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

how long have you left them together, to see how long it takes her to get bored?

I wouldn't be too worried about her taking his bone, dogs always have a pecking order, if he's happy enough to let her take it, then theres no issue. It sounds to me as though they do get on, no fighting, but you're worried that your dog is picked on - I understand that, but if theres no aggression, I would just let them meet up when you meet up with your family and let them work it out themselves. She is only young, she's getting older, so will settle down a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

I know but its so stressful, my dog just runs away, and to me for help while the other one just tortures him. I think he fears her, and much prefers to be on his own. We did foster some dogs also and he was ok with them because they were not annoying him as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Does your dog play with other dogs or is it just the pup he doesnt want to play with. My retriever's friend is a setter - they're both 3 my my guy will go mad play with the other guy..sometimes he's very aloof with him and other times he goes crazy asking my guy to play and they run around like maniacs...sometimes my dog doesn't want to play with him.
    TBH it doesnt sound to me that there's a problem - he's being very patient with the pup which is what you want. It sounds like she's bothering you more than him tbh - he's tell her to go away when he's had enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

He will play with "some" dogs, usually the small ones, but he doesnt like bigger dogs. Believe me it bothers him, he just spends his time running away and towards me for comfort.... When she calms down maybe it will be ok. Maybe get them to spend some time together over Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Have you tried taking them for a few on lead walks together? That can be a great bonding experience for dogs. Since they'll both be on the lead and occupied with their surroundings it will give them a chance get used to each other's company in a controlled way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

When you say torturing him, what do you mean? As in looking for play? Attention? or aggressive 'posturing', running after him, putting the head over the shoulder kind of thing? If it's all play and relaxed looking from the younger dog's side, then I wouldn't worry, they'll sort it. If it's with more agression, they'll still sort it, it's just not as nice to watch.
    bob2oo7 wrote: »
    I know but its so stressful, my dog just runs away, and to me for help while the other one just tortures him. I think he fears her, and much prefers to be on his own. We did foster some dogs also and he was ok with them because they were not annoying him as much.

When he does come to you for 'help', you need to ignore him completely. Don't make a fuss, don't talk, offer any 'you poor thing' in a sympathetic voice etc. Dogs pick up on this and then will play on it because they think it's ok to do it, i.e. you're reinforcing those 'feelings' and behaviour.

My pup has driven the older dog demented at times, but when she's had enough, she lets her know. They will sort themselves out, but it's up to your dog to say when enough is enough. Tough I know!

It might be just me but I wouldn't tend to give two dogs bones when they don't really know each other. Throw a football out there instead! It might keep the younger one amused for a while.

If it really gets unbearable then just crate one of them at a time. The suggestion above of walking them together on lead is a very good one by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could maybe look into a pressure mounted gate/barrier from argos/amazon etc - some of the barrier ones collapse and fold up for travel. At least that way you could use it to give your guy a little space from the other dog when they're both in the same place?

Advertisement