Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Social Security number

Options
  • 05-12-2012 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Finally got my embassy interview for early January for an E1 visa and hoping to travel over in mid to late January. Is it possible to apply for a social security number now from Ireland or do I have to wait until I have the visa in hand. I found the form online (Form SS-5) but it doesnt seem to look for any proof that the visa has been issued - just says "Legal Alien Allowed to Work". Want to apply for a bank account as soon/before I arrive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You can't get a SSN (social security number) until you have a visa or other way of being allowed to be in the USA. Many visas you can sign a form that automatically triggers the generation of a SSN when you enter the country. If not, give it about ten days after you enter to allow for the paperwork to make its way from the airport, then visit a Social Security Office and ask for your number.

Most banks will ask for the SSN to open an account, but it is not actually needed. Shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Most visa applications do have the option to apply for your SSN to be issued when the visa paperwork is processed, but in my experience, it's quicker to wait a week or so after you've arrived and go in person to your nearest SSA building and apply in person.

The SSA office issues them on the spot as long as you have proof of legal residence, ordering through the mail has a much bigger chance of processing delays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

We went in to SS after 10 days, filled out the form, sat around and spoke to the official,.and the card came to us in about 2 weeks (This was in an office in San Francisco). You have to wait 10 days to let your legal entry into the country on the visa sync into the other systems, don't try it before that.

As for bank account, we went to Bank Of America and opened an account on day 2 in the country. Bring your Birth cert, passport with visa in it, and another form of ID just to be sure (i used a credit card of all things, my wife her Spanish Drivers license). They even gave us temporary debit cards until the real ones came about 5 days later. As long as you have a visa you should be grand. The only annoying thing is that after you get your SS you need to back into the bank to get it added to the account (which will then feed into credit agencies yada yada yada)

Advertisement