Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White Galaxy Note 10.1" for €380 in Argos, €330 after cashback

• 05-12-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭

I see that argos have the white galaxy note for €380 at the moment with limited stock around the country. With €50 cashback from Samsung that brings it down to €330. It's currently £318 on amazon which equates to about €400.

Argos

CheckArgos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ChriisM

Seems like a very good deal op. Would probably hold of for a nexus 10 tho.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

ChriisM wrote: »
    Seems like a very good deal op. Would probably hold of for a nexus 10 tho.

What's the word on the nexus 10 about Ireland?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not going to see it for ages. It's still sold out in the UK. Very tempted by this, as i had wanted a Nexus 10, but can't wait months for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

bought it yesterday its brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Bloody hell. I bought it up north for £333 and will get the £50 cash back but this price is enough to make me wish I had waited....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah they have the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" down to €285 now which is the same as online with Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Skerries wrote: »
    yeah they have the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" down to €285 now which is the same as online with Amazon
    Can I get €50 cashback on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭freebee23

Hi all,

Unable to reserve one of these on the argos site at the moment even though they are due in the next few days. :(
    Might be another one of those famous argos reductions that we cannot get our hands on due to very limited / no stock in their stores. Wonder what the price will be when the item does eventually become available.

Freebee23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Is this a significant upgrade over the tab 2 could anyone shed light on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

freebee23 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Unable to reserve one of these on the argos site at the moment even though they are due in the next few days. :(
    Might be another one of those famous argos reductions that we cannot get our hands on due to very limited / no stock in their stores. Wonder what the price will be when the item does eventually become available.

Freebee23

I reserved two with no problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭valc

also unable to reserve online.

I rang my local Argos branch who tried to reserve on their system for me but also unale to do so.

Told me to ring back on Tue :(

valc

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

Just tried to reserve and got as far as entering my contact details, but once I tried to confirm, it said the item wasn't reserved and is out of stock

Liam O wrote: »
    Is this a significant upgrade over the tab 2 could anyone shed light on?

Quad core and twice the ram. Also the built in stylus and true multitasking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭antomack

Reservation for Longford that I don't need as OH decides she doesn't want one now - 002544

Also reservation for Killarney as sister-in-law also doesn't want one - 005130.

Both reserved till end of day today.

Skerries wrote: »
    Anyone know if the €50 cashback applies to this one aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

cashback

http://www.samsung.com/uk/tab2cashback/

Your application must be received on-line no sooner than 15 days and no later than 60 days from the date of your receipt/invoice. The date of purchase on the receipt counts as day 1.

Thanks.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/15/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-review/

Hmmm, sounds like they scrimped on the screen to keep the price down and it hurt, proprietary charger instead of USB aswell, sounds like a good tablet but I think Id rather upgrade my current phone to a Note 2 and sell my Xperia for 60-70 on Evirofone or wherever.

Thargor wrote: »
    Thanks.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/15/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-review/

Hmmm, sounds like they scrimped on the screen to keep the price down and it hurt, proprietary charger instead of USB aswell, sounds like a good tablet but I think Id rather upgrade my current phone to a Note 2 and sell my Xperia for 60-70 on Evirofone or wherever.

Nothing wrong with the screen, just not as many pixels as iPad or nexus 10.

It's also not a charging port, it's like the iPad, it's an accessory port as well as charging port. Like HDMI out or full size USB port dongle etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Can I get €50 cashback on that?

Yes
    GG66 wrote: »
    I reserved two with no problems

Ordered my 10.1 galaxy tab2 yesterday in Argos. 285 -50 cashback.

235 total bargain

people are still trying to sell these on donedeal and adverts for 300-350

thanks for linky

Have both reserved and simply can't decide if the note is really worth the extra hundred quid or I should just settle for the tab 2, I'm a very careful buyer and given that I'll mainly be using it for netflix and reading It's really doing my head in

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Have both reserved and simply can't decide if the note is really worth the extra hundred quid or I should just settle for the tab 2, I'm a very careful buyer and given that I'll mainly be using it for netflix and reading It's really doing my head in
    Exact same dilemma for me, leaning towards the cheaper option if Im honest as I have a decent laptop thats always on anyway, this would be for comics/ebooks and watching films and browsing in bed.

The Tab 2 will play 720p tv and films okay in full screen wont it?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/15/samsung-galaxy-tab-2-10-1-review/

Scratch that, sounds like its just a little bit too slow.

I think its back to waiting and watching Bargain Alerts for me, hopefully something will come up in the January Sales :(

Those reviews have put me off a fair bit alright, went into Currys to mess around with them earlier and the screen quality is quite noticeably worse than the competitors but I'm sure I wouldn't notice too much. It is a fair bit cheaper than the iPad and comparable enough I suppose, half 3 and a half hours to make up my mind now but just know I'll make the wrong decision...:D

Did the same thing myself, had a look in Power City in Bray there on the way home, the Notes screen was pretty impressive to my eye to be honest but my previous tablet experience is just a cheap 7" someone brought me from Thailand. Both looked like decent pieces of kit but Im going to wait, Ill be very surprised if we make it through Christmas and the January sales without seeing a better offer.

yeah it's by no means a bad screen and I really like the UI but when you look at the iPad it's really no comparison. The shape of the iPad is quite bad for watching videos and the Apple tax isn't really justifiable, this is much faster than all the other competitors and that pen could be useful for college but not sure at all atm. I know I'll regret buying it if I don't, with the €50 cashback it's a good price but so is the Tab 2...

Well Ive definitely ruled out the Tab 2 because when I buy Ill expect to knock a couple of years out of it, Id buy the Note 2 right now if it wasnt for the screen issue, is it an actual issue or just an invisible to the naked eye difference that only an Engadget writer or Apple fanboy would make an issue out of it?

Well Ive definitely ruled out the Tab 2 because when I buy Ill expect to knock a couple of years out of it, Id buy the Note 2 right now if it wasnt for the screen issue, is it an actual issue or just an invisible to the naked eye difference that only an Engadget writer or Apple fanboy would make an issue out of it?

It's not a problem and the brightness was probably turned down a bit on it. It may have just looked unimpressive due to the background which was dark, I could imagine that there'd be no issues when not in comparison to the superscreen on the iPad which is a fairly higher resolution and unmatched in any other tablet, I keep making a decision to buy it and going back on it minutes later...

I think Im going to hold off and see what happens, maybe get an Ultrabook instead.

Think I'm going to pick it up, the user reviews are overwhelmingly positive and it's supposedly great for watching movies which is something I'll probably be using it for a lot of the time.

Sure the guy on Cnet upgraded his score for it after using it for a while which must be worth something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 youns

Thanks OP

Back in stock now but only few mainly 1 in each store and 2 in Cork

Is this coming back in stock everywhere on Tuesday or was this just a one-off does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

antomack wrote: »
    I see that argos have the white galaxy note for €380 at the moment with limited stock around the country. With €50 cashback from Samsung that brings it down to €330. It's currently £318 on amazon which equates to about €400.

Argos

CheckArgos

Am I being thick? Probably! Is this the phone version? Like the Note 2 that was recently recently?

Nah its a 10 inch tablet, its from the same line as the Galaxy Note 2 phone but its bigger, nearly the size of an A4 page and this model in this bargain alert is wi-fi only, no 3G so you cant put a sim-card in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭joxers25

I was in Argos today and asked about these and the Tab2, was told that the next guaranteed stock (Green on system) was 26/27th December, the delivery dates up to that point (Amber) may have stock, but unlikely as the UK stores get the stock before ourselves.

Well the nice lady in Argos Liffey Valley extended my reservation until Monday so I have all weekend to decide whether or not to go for it, I think I will, got 3 weeks holidays so it'll be nice to have a tablet for lying in bed in the mornings. Really struggling to decide though, I suppose quad core and 2GB RAM will be good for 2-3 years usage wont in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭polaris68

Well the nice lady in Argos Liffey Valley extended my reservation until Monday so I have all weekend to decide whether or not to go for it, I think I will, got 3 weeks holidays so it'll be nice to have a tablet for lying in bed in the mornings. Really struggling to decide though, I suppose quad core and 2GB RAM will be good for 2-3 years usage wont in?

Probably be ancient technology in 12 months time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

I passed on it because of the screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I suppose quad core and 2GB RAM will be good for 2-3 years usage wont in?

Impossible to know to be honest. Samsung should at least still provide you with android updates for the next year or so at least. After that, who knows how quickly android will progress..

If I was deciding between these two, I'd probably get the cheaper Tab2. I can't imagine there be too much of a difference in performance for day to day tasks (email, browsing and watching video). As well, i can't see too many using the stylus functionality either. The tab2 at €235 (if people can get that cashback) would be excellent value

I passed on it because of the screen
    Any chance of someone elaborating on how good/bad that screen is please? Like my Xperia Play phone is getting on a bit now but when I play a game or watch a video on it I'm still amazed at the quality and how good it looks, likewise if I watch a 1080p Bluray rip on my 3 year old €500 Aldi laptop Im again amazed at how good it looks, from reading the comments on the Amazon reviews and other places loads of people think the screen is amazing, in fact the only people who dont seem to like it are the reviewers whose job it is to nitpick.

For a regular user is it really an issue, I assume the most expensive iPad is going to be better but is it an invisible to the human eye kind of better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

1 in cork Blackpool and tullamore now just reserved cork qoc :)

and this will make it even sweeter
    http://www.adverts.ie/2409577

• Advertisement

Any chance of someone elaborating on how good/bad that screen is please? Like my Xperia Play phone is getting on a bit now but when I play a game or watch a video on it I'm still amazed at the quality and how good it looks, likewise if I watch a 1080p Bluray rip on my 3 year old €500 Aldi laptop Im again amazed at how good it looks, from reading the comments on the Amazon reviews and other places loads of people think the screen is amazing, in fact the only people who dont seem to like it are the reviewers whose job it is to nitpick.

For a regular user is it really an issue, I assume the most expensive iPad is going to be better but is it an invisible to the human eye kind of better?

The screen is fine, better than fine in fact. My biggest issue by far is the autocorrect which to be fair you can turn off and the issue is just the fact that I use "ur" a lot on Facebook and it stretches that immediately to "Urban" and it pushes words far quicker than it should. It's not a big issue.

The screen plays 1080p so it'll suit your rips and is probably a better version too with reviewers praising the blacks and some the good colours, with others saying the colours are too strong. I watched an episode of Californication on Netflix and it looked good alright. Another problem is getting out of the habit to just take out the laptop and start using the tablet but that's again just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jeremyr62

The most important unique characteristic of the Note 10.1 is the stylus. This is what differentiates it from the the other 10 inch tablets out there. It has a proper digitiser and a full range of stylus optimised applications. If you've tried stylus input on an ordinary tablet using a capacitive sytlus you will know what an exercise in frustration this can be. The digitiser with clever palm rejection makes pen input a lot better. If you are not going to the use the stylus then I can't see the point in getting the Note 10.1. I think there are better 10 inch tablets for things like media consumption. The Note 10.1 is really about creation of content.

Thanks both, does anyone have a good recommendation in the 8-10 inch browsing/reading/media player tablet range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

This tablet is pretty much the top end of the tablet scale at the moment. You'll get 2 years out of it no problem, for tasks like internet browsing, movies etc. Tablet technology is advancing fast all right but things like browsing the internet and watching movies will not surpass the capabilities of this tablet for a long while yet.

The only area where I can see it slowing down in maybe a year or so is the multitasking function, but even that is not certain.

Jaafa wrote: »
    This tablet is pretty much the top end of the tablet scale at the moment. You'll get 2 years out of it no problem, for tasks like internet browsing, movies etc. Tablet technology is advancing fast all right but things like browsing the internet and watching movies will not surpass the capabilities of this tablet for a long while yet.

The only area where I can see it slowing down in maybe a year or so is the multitasking function, but even that is not certain.
    Great thanks, got one booked in Liffey Valley (Dont bother checking, I booked it last week and got them to extend it on the phone, out of stock everywhere) and I'm just going to go for it, got a €200 Argos voucher to get rid of anyway and Argos 3 year replacement insurance is handy aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ciarancummins7

waiting on a white note 10.1 from Argos myself, so if anyone has a spare reservation in dublin, i'd really appreciate it. Think of the children. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Paid full price for this a day before price drop :mad:

Well at least I get the 50 back still!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ciarancummins7

I have a reservation in Carlow and Monaghan for the 10.1 note white. Would swap both for a reservation in an Argos nearer Dublin (Swords preferably)! Otherwise long drive later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

One 7" silver available in Killarney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

One 7" silver available in Killarney

Out of stock according to website

• Advertisement
Advertisement