Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me cook the perfect Turkish rice

Options
  • 05-12-2012 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Back when I was in Istanbul I use to always enjoy the Turkish rice they serve everywhere there. It was so buttery, chewy and rich white.

I followed several recipes on the Internet but they all fail, I always end up with a normal, dull tasting thin rice.

Could anyone help me here,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

You might need to cook it in the oven with tonnes of butter. Try looking at a recipe for biryani to seee how they make that.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Not from Turkey but from a nearby enough place, I think I might know the rice you mean. Fry up some angel hair pasta in olive oil, add the rice and keep fryign for a little while, then add water and cook until all the water has absorbed. Only salt is traditionally added, although I like to add some bay leaves and a stick of cinnamon to make it more fragrant.

edit : you need sticky rice for this! Pearl rice or dessert rice works well enough, as well as paella or risotto rice in a pinch

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

you might not know where to get angel hair pasta, check arab/halal shops, they always seem to stock it, they might also stock the stikcy rice. let us know how it turns out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 succubus13

It depends what type of rice you are using. I am from country where half of our cusine is taken from turkey. So i can tell you how i make rice and its always been loved. I use long grain rice. Nothing half cooked just normal raw rice. First put in hot pan some oil (be generous because the rice tends to get dry) some onions (if you like vegetables i put carrots and fresh red pepers they give even more flavour). So fry that for few minutes. The cup rice i always wash it first. Dry the water and add to the pan. fry for few minutes. If you like soya sauce you can add a little it gives more flavour. Its time to move it to baking dish. Use vegetable stock ( i use vegeta can be found in polish shops for euro or so) and add to it 3 cups water. 1 cup rice - 3 sups water. add oregano and put in the oven. When its ready the water is gone rice has doubled its size and its soft. While hot stir in spoon or two butter.
    Enjoy

Advertisement