Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Repair

Options
  • 05-12-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    I have a rental property and great tennants. We all get on well which is important. Last week, they left an upstrairs bay window open, and the wind caught it, and broke the window hinges. Whos liable for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We had a similar issue before. A housemate a few years back left the bay window open and landlord arranged the fix but housemate paid.

He felt it was fair dues as it was him who left the window open. Quite lucky actually it didnt come off and hit the ground below. Heavy bloody thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Check the lease, it's usually in most leases that the tenant pays for broken windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Happened me.. tenants left both windows open top back room, VERY windy weekend. Both windows pulled back, hinges out of shape and never shut correctly after. Hinges knackered. Naturally the windows where "allready like that" so i shelled out to repair them.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you can prove that/its obvious that the tenant was negligent then they should be liable to pay. To be honest if it was me Id probably expect to be handed a bill for it from the landlord.

Advertisement