Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router bits not lasting long

Options
  • 05-12-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

The router bits I'm using don't seem to last too long. I use a flush trim bit on laminated MDF, but the blades chip, bearings seize after about 40+ feet of cutting give or take (not all in 1 go :D). I move the bit up and down so laminate isn't always on same spot, I take small amounts at a time, etc., but they just seize or chip. They are Axminster bits which I thought would be good.

I'm no expert, but it seems a bit short to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Yes, 40 feet is nothing.
    I'm afraid Axminster are budget bits and laminate is hard on the tungsten edges. Bearings fill with fine dust and seize up with use.
    I don't do enough laminate trimming to give useful advice but you might try a 4 wing cutter from a good quality company like Wealden.
    The bearings should be blown clean with compressed air and then rotate after a little WD40 - they usually loosen up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Laminate is unreal hard on flush trimming bits but you need to spend more on good quality ones that last longer and have better bearings.

No matter what brand you buy the bearing eventually seizes when trimming laminate but that's after a few thousand feet of trimming laminate. Also don't lower the bit any more than is needed as it reduces the chances of causing you heartache if the router tips over any bit and running your laminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Thanks for that. I will give some proper bits a try. The axminster bits don't seem great to be fair, but I was having same problem with other bits. Its mostly laminate that ruins them so maybe more wing bits would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

The only way to go is invest in good quality bits. Trend are the only ones I use now in my workshop.Try the Router Center.

Advertisement