Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out of college

Options
  • 05-12-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Ok, I'm 19 and this will mark the second time I will be doing this maybe . I was in a course last year but decided to drop out. Was sick for about a month after October last year, appendix :( . Decided then after more time off college sick, that I didn't like my course so dropped out and reapplied to new course. So new course in business in DIT which I like but have no drive to do any work and just completely bored with life. I am passing exams, but at this stage I almost feel like I don't deserve to be in college. I feel like I am wasting my parents money, which is as most will know very tight. Any ideas on what I should do :|

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭skyfall2012

My advise don't drop out if you are passing exams. It sounds like you need to take a visit to your GP and talk to him about how you are feeling. College is very though, but if you like the course and are passing exams, stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,205 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd second skyfall's advice. Particularly in a course as general as Business. It's not like your entire career path is decided for you if you stick with it, there's a myriad of careers you can pursue with a B.Comm and your options grow even wider if you look at the post-grad qualifications that would be open to you on graduation.

Your problem isn't your course, I'm not a doctor or in any way qualified to diagnose anything but it sounds like it's some form of depression tbh. Go talk to your GP and see if he/she can evaluate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Often after a bad bout of health it can be very tough to get very motivated. If you're feeling very down though I'd strongly advise having a chat with your GP.

Keep at the college thing a while longer, at the very least. It took me til feb of 1st yr to really find my feet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

stuyboi888 wrote: »
    Ok, I'm 19 and this will mark the second time I will be doing this maybe . I was in a course last year but decided to drop out. Was sick for about a month after October last year, appendix :( . Decided then after more time off college sick, that I didn't like my course so dropped out and reapplied to new course. So new course in business in DIT which I like but have no drive to do any work and just completely bored with life. I am passing exams, but at this stage I almost feel like I don't deserve to be in college. I feel like I am wasting my parents money, which is as most will know very tight. Any ideas on what I should do :|

It sounds like you are thinking about this the wrong way, focusing on what course you would like to do (or which you find boring and don't want to do), rather than focusing on what you want to do for the rest of your life.

College after all is simply training/education for what ever career you wish to do (yeahs it more than that, but basically that is primary purpose). You should be thinking about what do you want to do, what do you find enjoyable doing, what can you see yourself getting up to go do for the next 35 years, not just the next 4 years. How interesting a business course is should be secondary to how interesting business is to you in general. You might realise it has no interest to you at all and you can never see yourself working in business. Which would mean a business degree, and all the time you spent getting it, is rather worthless.

I would suggest discussing this with someone specializing in career guidance. There are various tests you can do that attempt to determine what line of work you would find interesting and stimulating, and often it is not something you might not automatically think of (for example one test I did recommended being a stenographer, something that would never have occurred to me but when it was suggested made a lot of sense, and my mother when considering changing jobs did a test that recommended Librarian, something that again she hadn't even thought about but made a lot of sense to not just her but to the whole family, it was one of those "Of course!" moments).

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Hey guys
    Just wondering what good a GP would be for being de motivated?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Dazza wrote: »
    Hey guys
    Thanks

There could be a whole host of physical and mental problems that could cause some to be de-motivated, everything from depression to chronic fatigue to stress to underlying illness

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I work with lots of different people, including Masters Graduates, people in school full time, doing a class or two, or people who have tried and just simply given up.

Fact of the matter is, if you want to really do it, you're going to do it. If your mind and motivation isn't in it, you're not going to succeed, frankly.

You don't have to do 3rd level. 3rd level just presents a number of opportunities, because it is difficult, and for those who get through it there are a number of opportunities in their fields. But even without 3rd level, you can do just fine in life if you can find a good job and you have the right work ethic. Most jobs don't have set "ladders" but for those who work hard and exceed expectations, well anything can happen. Some people mistake their "job" as just that, and don't take stock in the things they can learn from it. I can easily think of a thousand ways the skills I've developed in retail can relate to any job.

If you're interested in Business, im off the opinion you don't need a degree. If I so chose I could easily convert my Part Time job into a career, just through taking my job seriously and working hard. I've already had my GM approach me about a promotion into leadership, which Im not even looking to do. From there becoming Management is a step away, and I've seen people from there go up directly to corporate level. You don't need a degree if you have the natural sense for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

All please have a read of our charter again.
    Any form of medical diagnosis here is not permitted and can result in a ban.
    This includes statements like "I'm not a doctor or in any way qualified to diagnose anything but it sounds like it's some form of depression" or "Could be a sign of depression"

Thanks
    Taltos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Dazza wrote: »
    Hey guys
    Thanks

You'd be surprised how an illness can knock the wind out of your sails sometimes- like I said, it can really make it hard to get back to normal. Perhaps your GP will send you on your merry way, or perhaps he might be glad you came to him. Apart from anything else, it can just help a lot to voice these issues out loud sometimes.

My message is just don't make any rash decisions yet-be patient with yourself and be good to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

I was/am in the same situation, made a change in college too and had my doubts and know how tough it can be mentally. What I find is when I think too much about the negatives I end up getting less work done, enjoying things less and generally not really making the most of college or not getting from it what i should be getting from it. This only creates more negatives so positive thinking is the only way to go. Its a bit of a cliche but the course im doing now is very coursework based and i can see from my grades what weeks i was in good form and bad form. Sometimes when i thought i was wasting my time in college i probably couldve done with linking up to what the courses purpose actually was if you get what i mean, like finding what you enjoy in it and pursuing it so you have your own little edge and if you get good at it itll help boost your confidence and make you feel better about the course. Maybe something like following whats going on in the news with your course or something simple like that, Its easy to get isolated from the real world in college. Your health is the main thing anyway!! Take it easy on yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

If you're undermotivated you might just want to take a week to just chill and give yourself a chance to clear your mind over the christmas break. An overstressed or overworried mind isnt going to be great for motivating from my experience anyway. hope that helps

Advertisement