Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bushmills Whiskey 400th Anniversary Bottle Aldi- €60

• 05-12-2012 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if this whiskey is worth it. €60 is still a bit pricy for any whiskey...

In terms of a seasoned Bushmills Whiskey drinker (father in law) would it be that much more better than the other bushmills range..

Here's the link to the Aldi special anyway

Arrrrgh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A load of reviews of the whisky here: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-7794.aspx

If he's a big fan of Bushmills / Black Bush, it'd be a great Christmas present but personally, I'd be inclined to think you'd get better value in a €60 bottle of single-malt scotch (or one of the Cooley whiskeys).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's not a great price for it to be honest, it's ok but I wouldn't pay any more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Sleepy wrote: »
    A load of reviews of the whisky here: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-7794.aspx

If he's a big fan of Bushmills / Black Bush, it'd be a great Christmas present but personally, I'd be inclined to think you'd get better value in a €60 bottle of single-malt scotch (or one of the Cooley whiskeys).

If he drinks Bushmills (or generally Irish) why are you sending him Scotch direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If he drinks Bushmills (or generally Irish) why are you sending him Scotch direction?

I spse he' s considering price etc...though I reckon father in law he likes to keep things Irish.(has to have an ey spelling!)

Ya speaking of which would their be any other whiskeys anyone would recommend for a bushmills type drinker? (under 50 ¡)

regular Bushmills is mainly Midleton whiskey (about 80% I think) blended. So maybe try there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭M1XR

Quick, go and buy this. This is a good price for a great whiskey. Big whiskey drinker here and the 1608 is a beautiful, sweet and smooth whiskey. I believe they caramalised the grain to a further extent to produce the sweeter taste.
    This would be a great present for him and is worth the price

regular Bushmills is mainly Midleton whiskey (about 80% I think) blended. So maybe try there?
    How do you mean like? They truck the stuff up from corrrrk and dump it into the bottle...!

Armelodie wrote: »
    How do you mean like? They truck the stuff up from corrrrk and dump it into the bottle...!

Bring it from Cork, blend it in Antrim and cask it for a year

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mark 00

Sorry if I bring this off topic slightly but does anybody know where is the cheapest place to get middleton whiskey. The only place i've looked so far is Dunnes and it's 150. Need a bottle for xmas present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Mark 00 wrote: »
    Sorry if I bring this off topic slightly but does anybody know where is the cheapest place to get middleton whiskey. The only place i've looked so far is Dunnes and it's 150. Need a bottle for xmas present.

Seems to be the price for it. Though you could splash out on the 25 year old for the bargain price of €1250:eek:

http://www.molloys.ie/buy-online/Products/Spirits/Whiskey/Midleton-25-Year-Old-Pure-Pot-Still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Bring it from Cork, blend it in Antrim and cask it for a year

Bushmills only makes malt whiskey. For their blends (Old Bushmills and Black Bush), they add grain whiskey which they get from Midleton as part of a deal that dates back to the time when both were part of Irish Distillers. In return, Midleton gets Bushmills whiskey (and maybe some cash), some of which is retailed to independent bottlers.
    But the proportion of grain whiskey in the Bushmills blends is nowhere near what you're suggesting.
    Also, this 1608 bottling has a very tiny amount of grain whiskey in it too, which is why it cannot be called a single malt whiskey.
    Is it a bargain? Yes and no. Firstly, it's sold out everywhere else and they're not making it anymore, so if you like it, this is the last chance to buy. However, when I got my last bottle a couple of months back, it was over a tenner cheaper.

Probably not very convenient for you, but the cheapest way of buying Midleton Very Rare is on the ferry. Way, way cheaper than any other outlet. If you were in the market for more than one bottle, you'd save the cost of the journey. I know people who've done this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭jh79

Armelodie wrote: »
    I spse he' s considering price etc...though I reckon father in law he likes to keep things Irish.(has to have an ey spelling!)

Ya speaking of which would their be any other whiskeys anyone would recommend for a bushmills type drinker? (under 50 ¡)

Bushmills 10 yr old single malt is 40 euro in tesco at the moment, also glenmorangie single malt is reduced to 30 euro.

Bushmills only makes malt whiskey. For their blends (Old Bushmills and Black Bush), they add grain whiskey which they get from Midleton as part of a deal that dates back to the time when both were part of Irish Distillers. In return, Midleton gets Bushmills whiskey (and maybe some cash), some of which is retailed to independent bottlers.
    But the proportion of grain whiskey in the Bushmills blends is nowhere near what you're suggesting.

Bushmills Original (white label) is blended with Middleton and is at an extremely high percentage at that. In fact, I remember being there and we were all shocked at that. (shocked as we were Diageo staff being told that if you drink Bush Original you are drinking a majority of Middleton matured for 1 year in an oak cask)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Mark - its 20% off in Superquinn at the moment - so probaaly €120.
    Pg 15 on this wks brochure: http://content.yudu.com/A1zuxl/SQLeaflet16A2012/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.superquinn.ie%2Faspx%2FContent.aspx%3Fid%3D866

Bushmills Original (white label) is blended with Middleton and is at an extremely high percentage at that. In fact, I remember being there and we were all shocked at that. (shocked as we were Diageo staff being told that if you drink Bush Original you are drinking a majority of Middleton matured for 1 year in an oak cask)

I don't mean to argue with you, but Old Bushmills is only marginally grain-dominant (55-60%), and Black Bush isn't at all (it contains majority malt). In both cases, the grain whiskey is already matured for some 4-6 years before it goes to Bushmills. They couldn't call it whiskey if it contained one year old spirit.
    You may have misunderstood what they were telling you.

It is not a 1 year old Spirit. Bushmills mature the blend for 1 year.
    Black Bush is a completle different animal

It is not a 1 year old Spirit. Bushmills mature the blend for 1 year.
    Black Bush is a completle different animal

That's correct. The malt and grain are married in casks at Bushmills for some time before bottling. I just wanted to clarify for anyone else reading that the whiskey doesn't contain underage spirit.
    The deal arose partly because of the closure of the Coleraine distillery, which previously supplied Bushmills with grain whiskey, and partly because both distilleries were at the time under IDL. I know that there are those who would like to see the agreement brought to a close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I saw an ad for it somewhere recently, selling for €115. Was very tempted, best price I have seen in years. Im pretty sure it was O'Briens.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mark 00

kc66 wrote: »
    I saw an ad for it somewhere recently, selling for €115. Was very tempted, best price I have seen in years. Im pretty sure it was O'Briens.

Ya it's 115 in O'Brien's but the offer ends today. I picked up the last bottle in Glasnevin. Still expensive but a helluva lot better than paying 150!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Anyone know of an Aldi in Dublin that still has the whiskey in stock ? Went to Finglas and Parnell Street today but both sold out.

Or any another place to get it for 60 or so?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Celticwhiskyshop has it for 64.99 if you cant find an Aldi with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Was excited about this until I realized it isn't actually 400 years old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Unless the person in question has asked for Midleton, I would steer away. TBH, it's not a great whiskey. At best, it's idiosyncratic. If the person is a real whiskey lover, a bottle of Green Spot will hit the spot (see what I did, etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

M1XR wrote: »
    Big whiskey drinker here and the 1608 is a beautiful, sweet and smooth whiskey.

Pretty much every whiskey made by Bushmills has 1608 on the bottle, sonot sure what to make of this.
    My confusion arose, as one of my favourite 'sipping' whiskeys is also known as 1608... the 15yo reserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

too expensive in my opinion, look at other options!

Probably not very convenient for you, but the cheapest way of buying Midleton Very Rare is on the ferry. Way, way cheaper than any other outlet. If you were in the market for more than one bottle, you'd save the cost of the journey. I know people who've done this!

Speakin of which...ferry deal on this forum for a euro...hope this link works..
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056829646?page=1

Advertisement