Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need server for small start up business

Options
  • 05-12-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a small inexpensive but reliable server for a 3 person start up business.

I have had a look into cloud computing but still think it's a little expensive for small businesses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

A lot depends on your business.

It would help if you could itemise the following

- What will it be used for?
    - File storage
    - accounting packages
    - email apps
    - print server
    - etc

Suggest you start off by making a list, then think about

In 12 months time, how big will your business be? What other functions/services will it need to be able to perform?

Otherwise....we'll just be guessing.

-FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Thanks for your reply FOXT.

It will be mostly used for sharing word and excel files.

We wil share a printer between 3 so is this wha you mean by print server? (apologies I'm pretty clueless in this area)

Will prob. need a basic accountancy package starting off to deal with salaries.

It is unlikely the business will grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

sage accounts would be one of the best accountancy packages
    this crowd www.dbcomp.ie are sages largest partner in ireland and have won
    sage awards 5 years running.

they also provide it support. and could advise you on a setup and support it also.

anither accountancy package is big red book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Sounds to me like you don't really need a seperate server. You could just set up file sharing across the 3 PC's and that should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you don't really need a seperate server. You could just set up file sharing across the 3 PC's and that should be enough.

Thanks Yeppydeppy. How would I go about that? (reminder:this is pretty new stuff to me so I'm clueless in the area).

I have set up network points in the 3 offices and the cablin from these is feeding back into a currently empty comms back so what is it I need to get them to allow the computers network??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

You could just do a simple workgroup to start off with. Maybe a NAS (Network Attached Storage) would do the trick but do nightly backups to some other storage device. Just make sure you back EVERYTHING up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I can't be sure without seeing what is there already - You don't mention a hub / switch? You'll need one of those. If you feel confident enough google should be able to answer most questions but I'd suggest getting a professional in for the initial set up - or at least someone with experience in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

you can just setup a normal pc or even a network access storage (NAS) box to house hard drives which are shared to all 3 people. no need for a server.

most decent printers come with either wireless or both wired and wireless connectors so it too can be added onto a network so no need for a print server either

dont use a hub... get a router instead as they are more efficient at handling network traffic and the router can also be used as a DHCP server for assigning IP addresses to your pc and printers and nas box if u get one.... hubs dont assign ip addresses and setting up static ip addresses is a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Firblog

Jane98 wrote: »
    I have set up network points in the 3 offices and the cablin from these is feeding back into a currently empty comms back so what is it I need to get them to allow the computers network??

You need to plug/connect these 3 cables to a switch (you can get a decent 8 port one for 30/40 quid) then connect this switch to the router (provided by whoever is supplying your broadband.

To share the documents so that you can all access them you have a couple of choices

1. create a shared folder on one of the PC's which you can then put a shortcut to on each PC. You will need to backup the content of this folder to somewhere safe on a regular and frequent basis. As it is only 'sage' & word/excel files it won't be a huge folder, then I'd suggest using dropbox/amazon/google or some other free online storage.

2. Connect a NAS to the switch, and create the shared folder on there, and again back up as before.

You can purchase software that will backup online automatically for you (mozypro etc if you feel the need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Jane98 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a small inexpensive but reliable server for a 3 person start up business.

I have had a look into cloud computing but still think it's a little expensive for small businesses.

I think maybe your best start would be to get in touch with a local IT guy/company, explain your needs and take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

i have 3 backup methods......

1. an external hard drive - i keep this in my flat after each backup and not in the office

2. an external hard drive - i keep in my dad's house (the office is at the rear of his property)

3. my DIY server (basically a pc with 6 core cpu, lots of hard drive & 8gb ram has a mirrored hard drive array setup in it. data goes on one drive then the mirror drive automatically clones it. that way if one drive dies the mirror drive can be used as an emergency backup.

as it is just myself, dad and mum working in the office it is more than enough for our needs.

we also have many printers networked on it too

layout is simple enough. 4 dual wall points routing back to a 24 port hub (poor man's patch panel) which is plugged into a router with firewall then that router connects to the internet router.

the a0 plotter & a3 photocopier plug in to wall points
    the a4 colour laser & a3 colour inkjet plug into the hub directly as they are next to it.

the pcs & server are plugged into wall points too

the cctv dvr pc, the laptop, smart phones, and our smart tv are connected wirelessly

there is also a wireless repeater router in my parent's house hard wired from the house to the office, to allow for wifi access there.

all cabling is cat6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ciarank1

if you had an old pc spare then im sure you could use that as a server, just need a bit of tweaking, and possibly new, bigger hard drives, but it would still be less than a new server

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

You can have cloud computing from Google for free...PM me if you want more details. I use it and it's great.

Advertisement