Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Upgrading Lines

• 05-12-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

I have noticed a couple of "Network Services" trucks who I assume are contractors employed by Eircom in our area for the past few weeks and they seem to be replacing the lines, etc. Could this improve broadband speeds in the area (in theory)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Shyboy wrote: »
    Could this improve broadband speeds in the area (in theory)?

Possibly, but probably not. If the re-wiring results in a shorter line between you and the exchange, you might see a benefit.
    What area are you in? What are your current speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

I am rural County Galway and I am lucky to get just under 1MB with DSL. I have approached a few FWA providers but they always have a problem getting line of sight to their masts.

I am rural County Galway and I am lucky to get just under 1MB with DSL. I have approached a few FWA providers but they always have a problem getting line of sight to their masts.

Sounds like you're pretty far away from the exchange in that case.
    Upgrading/replacing the lines won't make a difference. Eircom have abandoned upgrading any rural exchanges.

no worries roast, I thought it was a long shot anyway.:(

no worries roast, I thought it was a long shot anyway.:(

How far off were the FWA providers at getting line of sight? If it were minimal, maybe an extended pole off the top of your building would help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Noel_ags516

I have noticed a couple of "Network Services" trucks who I assume are contractors employed by Eircom in our area for the past few weeks and they seem to be replacing the lines, etc. Could this improve broadband speeds in the area (in theory)?
    They were laying fibre lines in your area. Fibre should improve broadband speeds since it is faster than ADSL.

They were laying fibre lines in your area. Fibre should improve broadband speeds since it is faster than ADSL.

The only fiber that would benefit the OP would be FTTx.... which is hardly the case in rural galway.
    If there was any fiber being laid there, it'd be backhaul to the exchange.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

What part of Galway were they working in, eircom are slinging a bit of overhead fibre in in some parts...especially south east and west of Maam Cross.

Between Athenry - Tuam R347, we are on the Turloughmore exchange though. I watched them out the window for a while and they seemed to be taking down the old cable that connects between the poles and replacing it with cable similar in thickness (I assume Fibre would be much thicker:confused:).

They seem to have put up a few more poles as well in addition to the existing ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Rural Galway i doubt its fibre unless you live just a mile or two outside Galway city.

1MB is low i complain about my 7 meg connection you need an upgrade mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Between Athenry - Tuam R347, we are on the Turloughmore exchange though. I watched them out the window for a while and they seemed to be taking down the old cable that connects between the poles and replacing it with cable similar in thickness (I assume Fibre would be much thicker:confused:).

They seem to have put up a few more poles as well in addition to the existing ones.
    In theory yes, Eircom won't be replacing existing cables unless there was something suspected to be wrong with them. They're not exactly awash with money. It's possible that some other customers had dodgy connections but your own phoneline was unaffected, in which case you won't notice any difference.

How far do you have to travel to get to the centre of Turloughmore, via car?

How far do you have to travel to get to the centre of Turloughmore, via car?

I'd say roughly 5KM at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

I've been promised an upgrade to 'fiber' by Eircom for the past year at least, I live in a Cork city suburb which for some reason cannot avail of UPC, when people I know only a few hundred yards away can.

I imagine until I see them physically dig up the road this ain't happening?

Btw we pay for 8MB 'Next Gen BB', and I would max at about 6.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 YanisSprunks

Yes if they are upgrading to uncongested lines which means other users wont impact your internet speeds during peek hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yes if they are upgrading to uncongested lines which means other users wont impact your internet speeds during peek hours.
    Congestion has nothing to do with the OP's issue. They're just replacing copper lines which connect houses to the exchange. Congestion is a problem between the exchange and the rest of the internet. You'd rarely see any overhead work done on those kind of connections or lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

I live in Tuam, 8mb line capable of 10mb. Sometimes they say 17mb but never been possible. Even on the upgraded 24mb Exchange. No UPC available to most of Tuam either! Simply put Tuam as a town and infrastructure is old. I only moved here a few months ago, my wife got a job in Galway. Why we moved from Mayo i'll never know.

UPC was all lies(all that time digging the roads up for what, only some estates got it), and the rest of the broadband in the town is a joke!
    If I can get work hopefully we'll move into Galway City.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I never realised UPC had any network in Tuam.

Advertisement