Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog after neutering op

• 05-12-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Got the dog done a couple of days a go. He is so depressed with that cone stuck on his head.

Anyway I am curious about the wound. It looks grotesque. He keeps trying to lick at it and the cone is rubbing against it. but it doesnt appear to be bleeding. It still looks well wrong. Am I just being overprotective? over worried?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you are worried then bring him back to the vet. As long as its kept clean and isnt oozing or bleeding or look sore, very red etc it should be ok. But if you arent happy then bring him back to the vets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

liger wrote: »
    Hi,

Got the dog done a couple of days a go. He is so depressed with that cone stuck on his head.

Anyway I am curious about the wound. It looks grotesque. He keeps trying to lick at it and the cone is rubbing against it. but it doesnt appear to be bleeding. It still looks well wrong. Am I just being overprotective? over worried?

Define "grotesque" and "well wrong" in this situation? As andreac said - if it is oozing, gooey, red, hot, bleeding etc. it will need to be seen by a vet. Minor infections are not unheard of after surgery and if your dog has been rubbing against it, it may be irritated. The vet is the best person to ask about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

andreac wrote: »
    If you are worried then bring him back to the vet.

Heading to the vet now

sorry about the late reply.

the wound was starting to swell so the poor fella needed some anti inflammatory tablets.Its healing okay now but he is still a bit stressed over the stitches and everything.

we both can't wait for this to be finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

OP why dont you take the cone off while you are in the room to supervise him? At least he will get a break from it and he might not be as down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

my collie hated the cone and really got depressed wearing it, but wouldn't leave the stitches alone.

My solution was to put a t-shirt on him, now his stitches were high enough up - the last set were on his chest, but I've also put a big tshirt on him and secured it with a bandage so it covered the stitches - when he was neutered.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    OP why dont you take the cone off while you are in the room to supervise him? At least he will get a break from it and he might not be as down.

Have tried that. he just wont leave the stitches alone, and its not just licking.

might try the t-shirt idea, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I say this in a pet shop in the midlands last weekend. Dont know if it would make your dog feel any better but I thought it was an interesting idea.
    Its called a comfy cone.
    Poor dog looks sad wearing it but at least he/she can rest in a more natural position than when wearing one of those hard ones.

51eLMRda73L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Gussie got neutered about a month ago, he managed to destroy the cone within a day. I taped it back together and he got it off again, so I rang the vet and he said just to supervise him. He was fine, but I think that the comfy cone is a great alternative to that horrible cone, they are awful! Especially on big dogs!

Advertisement