Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 830 SSD Install Problem

Options
  • 05-12-2012 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

I'd really appreciate if someone here could help me install a Samsung 830 128gb SSD onto a Dell 580 Desktop, Windows 8 machine

What I've tired is – disconnect my existing HD and connected the SSD.
    In the BIOS I changed the SATA mode to AHCI (there's no other AHCI controller in my BIOS )

When I saved&exit the BIOS the Dell screen come up after that a black screen with:
    No boot device available
    Strike F1 key to reboot, F2 to run setup
    SATA 1: Installed..

Then I looked at Monotype's SSD Instal Guide where he recommends changing in regedit – msachi - start value data to 0

I couldn’t find msachi, so I googled and found out that StorAHCI replaces MSAHCI in Win8. I found storachi in the Registry Editor but the Start value is already set to 0

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848066(v=vs.85).aspx

Again any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been at this all morning when I really shoould have been studying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

are you trying to do a fresh install onto the SSD or have it as storage?

its saying no boot device because the SSD is blank.

if you change to AHCI, you wont be able to boot into the HDD anymore.

its: unplug HDD, change to AHCI, boot from CD/DVD/USB, install to SSD, reconnect HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Thank's for the help Tea Bag. Yeah I'm doing a fresh OS install on the SSD, in my ignorance I thought the OS was on the Motherboard :o

I'll look into how to put the OS on a USB key and install to the SSD, cheers!

USB is by far the best way.

if you have an ISO image of windows, go to www.isotousb.com and download it. its a little program that will convert it to a bootable usb for you (be sure to tick the box).

I don't think I have an ISO image of Win8 as I upgraded from Win7.

But I do have a sticker on my Desktop:

Windows 7 Home Premium OA
    Product Key....

Could I retrieve what I need from this?

have you already bought windows 8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 kuldeep121

You can get a OS cd to install it depending on your device,which your device supports.

Yeah I have it up and running since launch.

I recently did a "remove everything and reinstall windows" with the HD and there was no problem re-activating Win8 over the phone with an automated machine taking codes. This will prob be an issue if the OS is locked to the HD.

What if I clone my HD onto the SSD would that work? There's only 50GB used of the 1tb.

edit: @kuldeep121
    Thanks kuldeep121, but I thought ordering an OS DVD from MS cost around €50?

Success at last :D

Eventually got it up an running by first cloning the HD to the SSD, which at first was not working...but then good ol windows did a full repair and re-install....and somehow the SSD is now the primary drive :) ...No more noisy HD, happy days!

Cheers for the help lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You will probably want to enable AHCI in bios to get the full benefit of the ssd

but do this first
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676
    or windows ill crash.

Cheers tuxy, but I just (nervously) checked in the BIOS and AHCI is enabled:D

I tried that Regedit... edit earlier but it has been changed in Win8...have a look at the end of my first post for info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ah of course it's been fixed in windows 8, good to know :)

Advertisement