Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can somebody explain 4G coverage in Ireland?

• 05-12-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi I am wondering about the 4G networks that will be here next year.

My question is if the old analogue spectrum is being used does that mean that if I had very good reception on tv from the old analogue(tv) signal then should I be able to receive 4G pretty easy or will it not work like that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

mydogjack wrote: »
    Hi I am wondering about the 4G networks that will be here next year.

My question is if the old analogue spectrum is being used does that mean that if I had very good reception on tv from the old analogue(tv) signal then should I be able to receive 4G pretty easy or will it not work like that?

Eh, No.

We are not using the analogue spectrum for other analogue broadcasting - it is being used for a digital signal which can squeeze far more data into this spectrum space

Digital broadcasting is also much shorter range and requires more pylons - there is no guarantee you will have a strong 4G signal in your area

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No, if you have a good GSM signal you will have reasonable 4G coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

Thanks for the replies, I have a very good 2G gsm signal, but not 3G, so will I still get a good 4G signal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

mydogjack wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I have a very good 2G gsm signal, but not 3G, so will I still get a good 4G signal?

if your provider bothers to upgrade the mast then yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I would forget about 4G if you live in a rural small town or village, least next four years. The mobile companies have already shown were they likely to deploy first.

Kilkenny will be first place to get 4G Vodaphone next year. By the fact this town has UPC already and will have Eircom fibre within a few months is a clear sign to me. 4G deployment will be in areas and locations already serviced by Fibre and likely to get it the next year and beyond.

Rural ireland has no chance of better broadband unless the government pays up and runs 4G masts themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement