Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you get iPad data sim package pay as you use

• 05-12-2012 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hope this is posted in the right place but can you get a data package for ipad from any of the operators that will charge you for data usage rather than the €20 for a months usage or €3.99 for a days usage up to a data limit. Something similar to credit on a payg phone.

I am guessing this is not available.

Thanks a mil

L

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I'd like to know this too as i have a 3g ipad but still havent got a sim

three seem to be the only one that offer it but not much info on there site http://www.three.ie/online/shop/productDetail.aspx?src=p&p=data&pid=1032&tariffType=prepay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭wilfitz

I have a meteor SIM card and I'm paying €8 a month for 1gb. I use the wifi at home so never go over the 1gb. Contract is up in February and then I'm going to tether it off my iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

wilfitz wrote: »
    I have a meteor SIM card and I'm paying €8 a month for 1gb. I use the wifi at home so never go over the 1gb. Contract is up in February and then I'm going to tether it off my iPhone.

have you seen this
    Top up by 5e get 5e free
    Buy the 9e add on and get unlimited internet plus 150 any network min and texts for a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

I use 3 ordinary phone not data sim, topup with €20 get free data for a month, then for month 2 buy addon for €4.95 get 500mb a month (usually enough for me) same months 3,4 and 5 so for €20 5 months data or €4 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

LK1 wrote: »
    Hope this is posted in the right place but can you get a data package for ipad from any of the operators that will charge you for data usage rather than the €20 for a months usage or €3.99 for a days usage up to a data limit. Something similar to credit on a payg phone.

I am guessing this is not available.

Thanks a mil

L

All the networks do data on their PAYG SIMs. Examples, 99c a day on O2 or Vodafone or a bit more on Meteor, I believe, for 2,99. There are other examples above. I have PAYG SIMs from all the major networks and will often use just a day's data, depending on needs. I also do the 3 thing putting on 20€ the first month, then using that credit to buy 4 x months x 500mb afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LK1

Thanks Culabula. I think that's what I needed to know. I have only had a bill pay iPhone to date
    The 02shop I was in was trying to sell me one of the €20 a month ipad packages. So what your saying is just get an ordinary PAYG phone sim and put this in the ipad and use just the data on it. I presume they are free.

What I want to do is put €100 on a sim and use it up as I use data. I could use it a few days one month or a week the next.

Thanks Culabula. I think that's what I needed to know. I have only had a bill pay iPhone to date
    The 02shop I was in was trying to sell me one of the €20 a month ipad packages. So what your saying is just get an ordinary PAYG phone sim and put this in the ipad and use just the data on it. I presume they are free.

What I want to do is put €100 on a sim and use it up as I use data. I could use it a few days one month or a week the next.

Yes, there is no need to get one of their dedicated iPad SIMs. For example, 20€ will only get you 15Gb if you get Three's iPad SIM whereas 20€ will get you unlimited each month on a standard PAYG SIM.

Do, remember though that 50Mb per 99c is not a lot of data on a given day and if you go over it you could quickly eat up your credit. Much better to have queued bundles of data from Three at 5€ per 500mb to avoid any possible accidents.

Note too, that these days, if you add 5€ top-up to a standard Three SIM, you get 100Mb "on the house" and then you can use the top-up to buy the 4,99 bundle. So, that's 600mb for 5€.

Done correctly €100 on 3 would get you over 2 years of data.

Great thanks guys for your response I think I'll go the 3 route

• Advertisement

Great thanks guys for your response I think I'll go the 3 route

Not to mention that a 3 SIM will offer you data in certain territories abroad, which none of the others will do.

Hmm.. the three guy said he wasnt convinced phone sim would work and pushed me towards prepay package of €15 for 1gb broadban for 1 month. he said you can put €100 on account and use add on as it expires? Is he bluffing?

Hmm.. the three guy said he wasnt convinced phone sim would work and pushed me towards prepay package of €15 for 1gb broadban for 1 month. he said you can put €100 on account and use add on as it expires? Is he bluffing?

Instructions,

1. Go to three shop
    2. Ask for micro sim for phone
    3. If they say is this for iPad say no
    4. Get sim and €20 credit
    5. Insert sim into iPad
    6. Goto www.three.ie
    7. Click on login to my three
    8. Follow instructions
    9. Use top up and just apply it as credit
    10. Check balance you should have data for a month
    11. In a month log in again
    12. Click on add addon
    13. Pich €4.95 500mb for a month
    14 Apply

They will tell you in shop it does not work, I can assure you it does.

Total nonsense. Ignore him and do exactly as researchwill describes above. I have four of those right now, all working as they should do.

I thought as much.Thank You.

Just a quick one. I have available €100 has to be used before year end(work reasons). I can put the whole €100 on the account an use the top ups as I go? Havent had a payg account before

Just a quick one. I have available €100 has to be used before year end(work reasons). I can put the whole €100 on the account an use the top ups as I go? Havent had a payg account before

You could, but you'd be missing out. As advised previously, playing your cards right, you could have data for two years. Read back through the posts.

No matter what you do at least put 20€ on first and the 80€ on in a separate transaction. That way, you at least get AYCE data for your first month. Then you can begin queuing the add-ons.

Perfect.. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭gorevs

sorry to invade this thread lads but if i have an unlocked mi fi and wanted cheapest way of topping it up. would a normal 3 phone sim work in it as opposed to a data sim? i wouldnt use it that often as i have wireless at home but topping up with a fiver for 500megs /30 days sounds good.

gorevs wrote: »
    sorry to invade this thread lads but if i have an unlocked mi fi and wanted cheapest way of topping it up. would a normal 3 phone sim work in it as opposed to a data sim? i wouldnt use it that often as i have wireless at home but topping up with a fiver for 500megs /30 days sounds good.

Simple answer, yes. No problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭gorevs

thank you v much,

Check how long a voucher lasts, then buy 5 X €20 and topup as required

Advertisement