Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 for reading?

Options
  • 05-12-2012 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

looking to replace standard kindle with either kindle Fire or Nexus 7 and wondering which one is best for reading from. would still be doing alot of reading on which ever one I choose.
    does the kindle fire still have that look of reading from a book without hurting eyes from the screen being lit up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

fifib wrote: »
    looking to replace standard kindle with either kindle Fire or Nexus 7 and wondering which one is best for reading from. would still be doing alot of reading on which ever one I choose.
    does the kindle fire still have that look of reading from a book without hurting eyes from the screen being lit up?

I'd go for the Nexus for ebooks.
    I have one and find that it's the best e-reader I've ever used, especially using the free "FB Reader" app which allows you to set margins to zero. The Kindle app on the same device leaves massive margins around the text even at max settings. With FB Reader you get the equivalent of a full paperback page of text with each page-turn!

Reading with text set to white-on-black is very easy on the eyes and makes a great difference to battery-life.

I've also watched a few 720p movies on the Nexus - absolutely stunning picture quality!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

Was just about to ask this question myself. Only read about e-ink & eye fatigue a few mins ago for first time. How does nexus do there do u know?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

Mary28 wrote: »
    Was just about to ask this question myself. Only read about e-ink & eye fatigue a few mins ago for first time. How does nexus do there do u know?

I used to read ebooks on a device with a 800 x 480 screen and suffered a little eye-strain after several hours reading.

With the Nexus' 1280 x 800 screen the pixels that make up each character are virtually invisible.

Reading white text on a black backgroung also helps. I've read for more than 9 hours at a time and suffered no ill-effects!

• Site Banned Posts: 44 Pegasus Galactica

In my opinion I'd buy the Nexus 7 download the kindle app as then you have the full android market where as with the kindle they have their own app store so not half the range you'll get from the android

Advertisement