Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daily Mail so not in touch with reality

• 05-12-2012 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2243241/Joey-Barton-footballs-gay-hero--Martin-Samuel.html

Joey Barton should be football's gay hero - Martin Samuel | Mail Online

By Martin Samuel

PUBLISHED: 09:41 GMT, 5 December 2012 | UPDATED: 09:41 GMT, 5 December 2012

Could just one footballer please come out and be gay, so everybody can be really cool about it and the sport can get on with its life? Just one, it’s not much to ask surely?

Football is beginning to sound a little desperate with its pleading. Rugby, cricket, they’ve all had their gay watershed moment.

Man of the moment: Joey Barton is a sensitive soul who adds a French twist to his English words

And until football does, too, it will continue to be presumed that the sport has not evolved enough to handle male homosexuality.

(Hope Powell, the manager of England’s women, has been openly gay for years, without comment, yet that does not seem to count.)

The gay pressure group, Stonewall, has called again for football to tackle its ‘culture of fear’, while Anders Lindegaard, the Manchester United goalkeeper, has said that football needs a ‘gay hero’.

So here’s a thought. Joey Barton continues his quest for intellectual and social respectability. Why not come out as gay?

Outspoken: Barton has often found himself at the centre of attention

Instant credibility, instant respect, untouchable by the Football Association or future employers. His past misdeeds mentally reprocessed and explained.

‘Well, of course he put his cigar out in that bloke’s face, Gary. He was a tortured soul, forced to live a lie.’

And imagine the new material. A never-ending treasure trove for Barton’s Twitter feed: Alexander the Great, Leonardo da Vinci, Oscar Wilde, Lady Bunny.

And, let’s face it, with that new accent, he’s probably halfway there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

What a strange article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Knew from the topic title alone it would be something to down with Martin Samuel vomiting his meagre thoughts onto a keyboard.

He's the worst sports writer employed today.

The irony that the very same scummy rag that decried Stephen Gately's death as "unnatural and sleazy" solely because of his sexual preference can't be lost on anyone. When a footballer does eventually comeout, the Daily Mail will be in the vanguard of those taking cheap and nasty potshots at whoever it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is the guy who wrote that actually paid? There's some pretty offensive thoughts in that article, e.g.
    And, let’s face it, with that new accent, he’s probably halfway there.

But to be fair, it's the Daily Mail, what more do you expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Samuel is a absolute joke. Journalism in football is going down dogs in recent years. Few good ones but rest have no clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Joey Barton has threatened to sue him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Thought that was basically a poor attempt at a joke - not worth getting worked up about tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

amiable wrote: »

I dislike Barton - but in this case I'd love to see that rag writer get hammered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Seriously but the standard of journalism across a number of rags has really plummeted from an already low benchmark in recent seasons.

It amazes me sometimes after reading an article that somebody could actually get paid for it.

Here is another bizarre one about Gareth Bale today that I read over on the superthread :rolleyes:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2242971/Gareth-Bale-right-dive-tackles--Neil-Ashton.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The journalist version of Roy Chubby Brown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

All I can see here is a disgusting Daily Mail article which is nothing but a blatant homophobic rant, and a childish attempt to dig up Joey Barton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Immature jokes and stereotypes about gays from the newspaper who used Steven Gately's death as an opportunity to criticise gay marriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Nice re-enforcement of stereotypes (gays = "sensitive", "intellectual", "tortured souls") while managing to stick in a bog standard dig at the French - but all written in a jaunty , "only having a larff" style ..

... typical drivel from Samuel. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

amiable wrote: »

Barton vs Samuel.

Whoever wins, we lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

That really is pathetic sh!te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Samuel gets some great gigs as well, he's on that "Sunday Suppliment" on sky sports now and again and he is absolutely rubbish on it. Absolutely useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

kippy wrote: »
    Samuel gets some great gigs as well, he's on that "Sunday Suppliment" on sky sports now and again and he is absolutely rubbish on it. Absolutely useless.

It's a scraping of the barrel of the various rags. You're never going to end up with a bastion of logic and critical thought.

The standard of football writing is awful because their readership is thick as pig****. This ****e isn't written for the literate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I thought it was funny... bizarre, but funny nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Let's remind ourselves of what Martin Samuel had to say about Irish fans singing The Fields of Athenry.
    After a week of Irish glory and glorification at Cheltenham and two very jolly days in Dublin to follow, many Englishmen would have felt the bond between our countries had become rather civilised these days.

So it came as something of a surprise to pick up the newspapers on Monday and discover what really inspired Ireland's Six Nations victory over England at the Aviva Stadium: hatred.

Andrew Trimble, the Ireland wing, let this slip, describing a rallying call from lock and most recent Lions captain Paul O'Connell prior to the game. 'I always love listening to him during England week,' Trimble said.

'We wanted to get everything right technically, but we also wanted to use our physicality, our intensity, just a real hatred. We never get sick of beating England; that is why we enjoyed the win so much. There's a lot of history there.'

Indeed there is. Like the European Union's £73.7billion bailout for the failing Irish economy last November, that could end up costing British taxpayers in the region of £6.07bn.

Not many songs about that on Saturday, though, just the usual one about prison ships, prison walls and a terrible famine that took place 160 years ago yet is still thrown in the face of every visitor in an England shirt, as if it was cooked up in the Harlequins dressing room last Tuesday.

Maybe next time Martin Johnson visits he could give a rousing and equally relevant speech before the game based on vengeance for all the little kiddies abused by Ireland's paedophile priests.

Or is it only the English who have entries in the history books of which their modern descendants might be ashamed?

Staggering ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Oscorp wrote: »
    Let's remind ourselves of what Martin Samuel had to say about Irish fans singing The Fields of Athenry.

Staggering ignorance.
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]

I can't believe that this was published. Genuinely.

Furthermore, I can't believe he still has a job. Christ it's awful journalism, and the Joey Barton article is just as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Knex. wrote: »
    I can't believe that this was published. Genuinely.

Furthermore, I can't believe he still has a job. Christ it's awful journalism, and the Joey Barton article is just as bad.

It was cut from the Irish edition of the Daily Fail, but was printed in GB.

And this guy consistently wins awards for sports journalism!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thankfully I've never heard of this guy before and the simple reason is I don't read thoserags. I didn't click the link to it either just read the bits quoted.

Advertisement