Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Abbey Tavern - what happened?

Options
  • 05-12-2012 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

I passed the Abbey Tavern on Gillabbey St a few weeks ago and it was closed with a small handwritten sign in the window saying "closed until further notice". It was a nice pub and did a fairly good trade I'd say. Does anyone know what happened there?
    I passed again yesterday, it's still closed, and a quick web search threw up this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I would imagine, like many small local style pubs around the country, it has simply gone bust. Loads of pubs in its vicinity have closed lately or are closing soon.

Turners Cross Tavern and The Harp both closed. Flannerys closing and rumours that The Evergreen is about to go as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Turners Cross Tavern and The Harp both closed. Flannerys closing and rumours that The Evergreen is about to go as well.

Really? Suburban pubs are quiet these days but I would have thought all of those would have had enough business to keep going, and probably not much debt or rent to pay. The Abbey always seemed fairly busy. There are very few pubs left out on the west side of town now: Dennehy's, Crow's Nest, Western Star, Ardmanning, all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Flannery's is closing in the new year as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

gimmick wrote: »
    I would imagine, like many small local style pubs around the country, it has simply gone bust. Loads of pubs in its vicinity have closed lately or are closing soon.

Seriously?? The Harp is closed? Fook Me..Thought that place was a goldmine..In fact,it was a goldmine,,I used to work there years ago. Can't believe it..I did see a small sign on the door of it recently,but no idea what it said.
    Turners Cross Tav closed too? Really? OMG like..
    Flannerys too?
    I did hear about the EverGreen a good while back alright. So no surprise there.
    And the good ole Abbey Tav...Used to be a regular there about 20 years ago..Sad sad times.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Yeah, passed Turners Cross Tavern today on the way home - dad told me it was taken over by NAMA

Can't believe Flannerys is going - thought that was doing really well

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Yeah, passed Turners Cross Tavern today on the way home - dad told me it was taken over by NAMA

Can't believe Flannerys is going - thought that was doing really well

Terrible Terrible times...

And the government lashing 10c on the pint today won't help any other pub that's struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

MrFrisp wrote: »

Terrible Terrible times...

And the government lashing 10c on the pint today won't help any other pub that's struggling.

The brewers all added their own 10c in advance of the Budget too this week.

evilivor wrote: »

Seriously?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭geewhizz

It's actually 10c plus vat so in reality 15 c increase and 1-23 on a btl of wine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

calnand wrote: »
    Flannery's is closing in the new year as well
    Flans closing?? Surely it makes sense yo keep it open.
    Heard it has a massive debt but surely it's making money on its trade.
    Would be a shame if it closes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ya, shocked with Flannerys, but its the banks decision it seems. I have heard UCC are buying the land for a carpark/Park & Ride.

The TCT has been dying on its feet for years. And given some of the stories I have heard I am not surprised. But the word has been that the bank has been running the place for the last 3/4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm not as surprised as some at suburban bars going out of business. Look at how many took out huge loans pre-2007 to renovate and build state of the art smoking area's. Good in theory, but after the economic world went to sh1t less people in suburban areas were going to bars, and if they were going out it was usually to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm not as surprised as some at suburban bars going out of business. Look at how many took out huge loans pre-2007 to renovate and build state of the art smoking area's. Good in theory, but after the economic world went to sh1t less people in suburban areas were going to bars, and if they were going out it was usually to town.

Definitely, you're right there - business was a lot bigger 5/6 years ago - the more I think about it, Flannerys is doing well but probably not near as well as it was doing during the height of the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

UCC are buying the land for a carpark/Park & Ride.
    It's not a very big area from what I remember, wouldn't be much good for a car park, and besides, UCC is skint. However UCC has made plenty of stupid decisions before so it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

evilivor wrote: »

don't forget the publicans, they usually add more on to the price also. Come on folks, pubs have been fleecing people for years and now something had to give.

It's sad to see the likes of the Abbey closing, it was a nice little pub. I'd prefer to see these super pubs and hotel pubs closing, the ones that increase their prices as the night gets later :mad:

don't forget the publicans, they usually add more on to the price also. Come on folks, pubs have been fleecing people for years and now something had to give.

It's sad to see the likes of the Abbey closing, it was a nice little pub. I'd prefer to see these super pubs and hotel pubs closing, the ones that increase their prices as the night gets later :mad:

Agreed...Well said..

It's those places that up the prices as the night goes on,,the nightclubs that charge to get in,and then rip you off for a pint,,and then the places that just rip you off for a pint anyway.

That's why when We go out,which is rare these days anyway,,it's to Our local,,and not to town. Town pubs with their inflated prices can get their business from other people,not Us.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RebelRed90

jesus sad to see all these icon pubs closing

RebelRed90 wrote: »
    jesus sad to see all these icon pubs closing

For the last year or so,when the Vintners were saying a few pubs a day were closing down,,I always thought to Myself they were going a bit over the top with the story.

But after seeing all those pubs listed above,,and been a regular in a few of them,,It's really now hitting home how bad the situation really is.

Seriously?? The Harp is closed? Fook Me..Thought that place was a goldmine..In fact,it was a goldmine,,I used to work there years ago. Can't believe it..I did see a small sign on the door of it recently,but no idea what it said..........

Reopening quite soon I believe, this week actually if things go to plan apparently.

Flannery's as a park and ride would be a daft venture, wouldn't fit 50 cars in there.

I believe The Bridgehouse (near Finbarr's hospital) asking price is under €250k, that's including living accommodation, even at that you'd be really hesitant I imagine the way so many pubs are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Dob74 wrote: »
    Flans closing?? Surely it makes sense yo keep it open.
    Heard it has a massive debt but surely it's making money on its trade.
    Would be a shame if it closes
    Very surprised when I heard this a few days ago. Meteor installed a base station on their roof a few months back and that's a guaranteed €20k+ in their pockets every year. Pennies in the long run I know, but the place always seems busy enough.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Very surprised when I heard this a few days ago. Meteor installed a base station on their roof a few months back and that's a guaranteed €20k+ in their pockets every year. Pennies in the long run I know, but the place always seems busy enough.

€20k would cover what they would have to pay to sky for sports coverage in a pub these days. I think it works out about €10k for the year.

It's one thing that people overlook I suppose..Most bars are under pressure to show matches to get the crowd in,,but the cost of showing those matches is just huge.

In My local the owner has got rid of sky altogether,,installed 5 different dishes,and gets the feed from a non-sky source. And it's all legal.

Plus,it's only a fraction of the cost of sky too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

€20k would cover what they would have to pay to sky for sports coverage in a pub these days. I think it works out about €10k for the year.

Holy crap 20 k

Can't believe flannerys and the evergreen are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It was pointed out to me today that it could partly be down to St. Finbarrs Cemetery having sold all its spaces, a lot of Flannerys' business would have been the afters of funerals and they've been on the decline for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Holy crap 20k

Nah, it wouldn't have been that much, I know this game really well, it might be a bit over half that. It might be a bit over half that, it would only be an in-fill site.

Holy crap 20 k

Read My post again....I didn't say €20k for sky in a pub,I said about half that..

"€20k would cover what they would have to pay to sky for sports coverage in a pub these days. I think it works out about €10k for the year."

Still off the wall price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Abbey Tavern changed hands some years ago.
    I remember going in shortly after and the pub just didn't have the same warmth and friendliness that The Abbey Tavern of old had.
    Might have something to do with it.

Publicans need to wake up to that fact that just opening the door and selling the usual crap that passes for beer and wine in most pubs these days just doesn't cut it any more.

A pub needs personality, warmth, good selection of quality drinks, and maybe plenty of promotions or entertainment. Food can help too. And the most obvious, good staff.
    I'm not saying that no good pubs have closed down recently but from what I can see, most really good pubs that are in tune with their customers are thriving and they are not soulless pubs serving just Guinness and Heineken.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Read My post again....I didn't say €20k for sky in a pub,I said about half that..

"€20k would cover what they would have to pay to sky for sports coverage in a pub these days. I think it works out about €10k for the year."

Still off the wall price though.

ahhhh my apologies

From what I'm just hearing,as it was posted earlier on the Thread,,The Harp is due to open tomorrow morning again.

Let's hope it stays open this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

From what I'm just hearing,as it was posted earlier on the Thread,,The Harp is due to open tomorrow morning again.

Let's hope it stays open this time.
    You're not wrong. The judge initially deferred the case until mid Jan due to so much needing further clarification. This was all sorted out between 12 and 4 and the judge granted the licence.

As long as a good, fair, business is operated, yes, long may it operate.

• Advertisement

You're not wrong. The judge initially deferred the case until mid Jan due to so much needing further clarification. This was all sorted out between 12 and 4 and the judge granted the licence.

As long as a good, fair, business is operated, yes, long may it operate.

Ehhh...Judge?? Case?? No idea what all that's about.

While I did say I hope it stays open this time,I must add I haven't had a beer in The Harp in years..Just not My type of place anymore.
    I used to work there,,and was a regular there,,but that was a long time ago.
    I meant I hope it stays open from a business/employer point of view.

Advertisement