Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Abbey Tavern - what happened?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I hear The Wilton is about to go as well? Any truth in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

gimmick wrote: »
    I hear The Wilton is about to go as well? Any truth in this?

Wouldn't be so sure about this. One of the busiest bars around by all accounts.

Yeah, the harp were closed by the revenue and a fight between the old directors who wound up the company back in JUNE and liquidated.

Company has operated since for over two years without a licence until being granted yesterday.
    Lets just see if the harp will get their licence in paper!

Anyhow, if all these are closing this side of Christmas, imagine how bad it will be in January!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

harp open again so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

harp open again so?

Yup,,sure is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Flannerys' car park is currently overflowing, they do a good carvery lunch. I don't get it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

TheChizler wrote: »
    Flannerys' car park is currently overflowing, they do a good carvery lunch. I don't get it...

Still mustn't be enough to keep it open, pity. It's the only place near my work where we could go for lunches out.

leahyl wrote: »
    Still mustn't be enough to keep it open, pity. It's the only place near my work where we could go for lunches out.

used have the same prob

we go too city bounds in lehanamore now its only a 2 minute spin...food is very good

used have the same prob

we go too city bounds in lehanamore now its only a 2 minute spin...food is very good

Is it?? Must have changed so..We only live 2 mins from there,,and not long after they started doing food,We went over to try it..Goddamn,,it was awful...
    We never went back there for food..
    And,,despite living so close,,we actually very very rarely go in there at all.

Same as The Bull McCabes I'd say...If it wasn't doing food,,it wouldn't be open at all.
    I know a group of about 25 people that have stopped going into Bull McCabes because the price of the beer is gone off the wall there.
    Hope it don't end up like the others there and closing down.

Im only eaten there a little over 2 months but everything ive had has been beautiful.Its a small menu but very nice and is no longer carvery which is what i used hear people giving out about.

• Advertisement

Im only eaten there a little over 2 months but everything ive had has been beautiful.Its a small menu but very nice and is no longer carvery which is what i used hear people giving out about.

Ahh,,very nice...

Must try it again so after christmas.

Small standerd menu (Just too clear up) but daily specials on the board then each day...Also was told the chef there at the mo was the chef in east village till recently

Small standerd menu (Just too clear up) but daily specials on the board then each day...Also was told the chef there at the mo was the chef in east village till recently

Wouldn't bother Us where the chef comes from..

We don't get out that often anyway...

But thanks for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Shame about the Abbey Tavern, I used to get lunch there every now and then when I was in college, nice place. I still see the owners in the mornings. Shame to see nice spots go out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Can't believe Flannerys could be closing. Hope it's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

If the likes of Flannery's is closing, then the pub trade in this country is well and truly f*cked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Some profitable pubs are closing down because of the debts incurred by the owners who thought they were developers during the boom years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 maxitup

That post is 1 year old now and Flannerys never did close. Been there recently and great craic. I did hear its under new managment. Anyway it was packed on a sat night, 3 parties on. I see on their facebook page some great bands on for xmas and lots of specials so roll on and Please Stop The Rumours,

And no I don't and never have worked there. Just hate too see a good pub lose out because of rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

maxitup wrote: »
    That post is 1 year old now and Flannerys never did close. Been there recently and great craic. I did hear its under new managment. Anyway it was packed on a sat night, 3 parties on. I see on their facebook page some great bands on for xmas and lots of specials so roll on and Please Stop The Rumours,

And no I don't and never have worked there. Just hate too see a good pub lose out because of rumours.

Its being run by an asset management co on behalf of a receiver so will be sold in due course

oh ya and nice plug...1st post and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Also, for the benefit of the thread, The Abbey Tavern seems to be up and running again! Advertising pizza and beer deals outside. Happy to see things coming back from the brink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Also, for the benefit of the thread, The Abbey Tavern seems to be up and running again! Advertising pizza and beer deals outside. Happy to see things coming back from the brink!

Run by the old owner of The Oval (pre Benny McCabe).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Yeah, have been in there a couple of times recently and it seems to be doing quite well. Pity (imo) that they didn't do it up a bit before reopening - the interior is very dated-looking and the jacks is like something from the 1970s. Still, €3 for a pint of Fosters, craft beer on tap and tasty pizza to keep you going - what's not to like? I hope it does well 'cause it's a handy stopping-off point for me on the way into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

does anybody know the history of the Abbey Tavern? I just found out my great grandfather lived here when he was born in 1876. I'd be interested to know if it was a pub back in those days or at some point at the turn of the century

The bar across the road from The Abbey Tavern was sold a few days ago, "The Gill", last traded as "The Beggarman". Used to go there a bit years ago to watch matches.

Bought for €217K.

Augeo wrote: »
    The bar across the road from The Abbey Tavern was sold a few days ago, "The Gill", last traded as "The Beggarman". Used to go there a bit years ago to watch matches.

Bought for €217K.

Any idea who bought it? That's a big bar

No idea who bought it, sold at auction I believe.

You'd imagine in the right hands it could do well, throw a few quid into it even and it's still a low enough investment. "The Rock" does serious trade with decent locals and students and that's less than a hundred yards away...... "The Gallows" does decent trade too so there's definitely the market there imo if you could draw them in.

The Gill used to be quite when I went in there but there was a somewhat unsavoury element in there too, the barred from everywhere else type of drinker.

The actual floor space alone makes it not a bad buy at all, little 3 beds are asking close to that in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Any idea who bought it? That's a big bar

Will surely be turned in to student accommodation overhead and a Spar/Centra type shop on the ground floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Will surely be turned in to student accommodation overhead and a Spar/Centra type shop on the ground floor.

I think it will stay a bar, there's plenty of shops around the area.

calnand wrote: »
    I think it will stay a bar, there's plenty of shops around the area.

Not really there isn't.. the one on the cornor by moks is gone. The one on the cornor of barracks street across from the gallows is gone. The one across from the rock is gone. I'd say the centra on barricks street is the closest to that area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Wow I've driven past both of those shops every week and didn't notice they had closed.

Advertisement