Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini itx build advice

Options
  • 05-12-2012 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Ive decided that a small pc under the tv is a good idea.
    'She who must be obeyed' would be peeved if I introduced another box and 'heap of wires' to the sitting room, so I've decided mini itx is the way to go.

Micro atx would still be too big big for my needs I suspect.

I have a pc with a quad core q9550 and geforce gtx 285 upstairs which I had hoped I'd strip for this, but the more I look into it the more I realise that's not going to work out.

Basically I want it for connecting to my 40inch tv and projector. Youtube, movies etc. and occasional gaming.

Battlefield 3 and far cry 3 currently, but obviously future FPS's also.

I don't want a major gaming machine, but I'd like everything to look and play quite well.

I've looked on amazon for cases:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Elite-Advanced-Mini/dp/B008M6THIU/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1354725024&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-Mini-ITX-Case-300W/dp/B0064KZ5O6/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1354725024&sr=1-1

Leaning towards the coolermaster, but wondering if the cit is a good deal considering it has a [questionable] psu.

Regarding mobos, research tells me that z77 boards are overclockable and more expensive while the h variants are not. In such a small case perhaps overclocking is a bad idea anyway.
    Thats if I go intel and an i5.

I havent researched much on amd mobos and processors yet, maybe somebody can advise me here?

The following looks like a good price, not interested in onboard graphics really so I'm looking into it:
    http://lb.hardwareversand.de/Socket+FM2/69970/AMD+Athlon+X4+750K+Black+Edition+Box,+4x+3,40GHz,+FM2.article
    Any thoughts?

Graphics cards advice is welcome, again not really looking to spend a fortune unless I have to.

PSU will likely need to be modular due to lacking space, unless the one included with the cit case above would do the job. An atx psu will fit in the coolermaster case.

Thanks in advance folks, sorry for the rambling post!

1. What is your budget? 500-600 Euro
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming,surfing,music
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No.
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? momentus xt hybrid drive 500g (laptop drive)
    5. Do you need a monitor? No, running to 40inch tv and projector
    5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Currently 720p on both devices, will upgrade to 1080 if one of those dies.
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? I have enogh bits and bobs, may upgrade to a GOOD wireless keyboard and mouse for on the sofa.
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes
    8. How can you pay? visa/laser/paypal
    9. When are you purchasing? Now, no major panic though
    10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Galway, but I'm reasonable at building.

Comments

Advertisement