Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUPPLEMENTARY PENSIONS BUDGET 2012

Options
  • 05-12-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

SUPPLEMENTARY PENSIONS
    Pre-retirement access to funded Additional Voluntary Contributions
    Individuals will be allowed a once-off option to withdraw up to 30% of the value of funded Additional Voluntary Contributions made to supplement retirement benefits. Withdrawals will be liable to tax at an individual’s marginal rate. The option to withdraw will be available for 3 years from the passing of Finance Bill 2013.

How will this work. If for example a self employed person has a pension fund. Would it be 30% of this amount?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

Yes, what does this exactly mean. I have been paying into a company pension since I was 18 (34 now) am I able to access 30% of it if I needed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ibebanging

When in 2013 will this come into effect ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Yes, what does this exactly mean. I have been paying into a company pension since I was 18 (34 now) am I able to access 30% of it if I needed to?

Have you made additional contributions? These are different to your normal conts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

ibebanging wrote: »
    When in 2013 will this come into effect ?

As per above from the passing of the finance bill, but I'd say it'll be approx six months before you see any money.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This seems to apply to employees only, and not to the self employed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭loadz

You can only claim back 30% of any voluntary contributions that you have made to top up your pension fund. These are separate to your normal pension contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

For what it's worth, I think that this AVC announcement is little more than an exercise in playing politics. Various people have suggested early access to pension funds in the past and have got nowhere to date. By limiting access to a very small group (just AVCs in Occupational Pension Schemes) I would expect that the take-up will be very small.
    • Self-employed sole traders will be excluded excluded because they would use Personal Pensions and PRSAs.
    • Company directors will be largely excluded because they would typically just put company contributions into an OP scheme. Little reason for a company director to make an AVC.
    • PAYE Employees in PRSA schemes will be excluded.
    • PAYE Employees in OP schemes, who make "ordinary" contributions will be excluded.

So that leaves what I would imagine to be a small group of eligible people, who are in OP schemes, have specific AVC funds AND are in financial difficulty or at least want to withdraw their AVCs even if they're taxable.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd say that the Government can use this to appease whoever was pushing for early access to pension funds. The take-up will be low for the reasons outlined. Then if anyone suggests wider early access to pension funds in the future, the powers that be can say "Well we tried that in 2013 and the take-up was very low so we're not going to bother with it again because the demand clearly isn't there..."

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ibebanging

I will be availing of the 30% ASAP.

Advertisement