Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax - Valuations/Letters - Greystones/Delgany etc

Options
  • 05-12-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Following today's "doom and gloom" budget re the property tax valuation I was wondering if we could get some uniformity in the valuations of dwellings in Greystones. Greystones has probably the greatest range of price variations in Ireland, from small dwellings/apartments to the so-called "Mansions". We could set up a list of estates/roads/apartments/etc and try to see if there is any uniformity in valuations. The list of selling prices shown on the property register might give some idea, but with prices varying so much it would be nice to help one another get it right.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

vinpaul wrote: »
    Following today's "doom and gloom" budget re the property tax valuation I was wondering if we could get some uniformity in the valuations of dwellings in Greystones. Greystones has probably the greatest range of price variations in Ireland, from small dwellings/apartments to the so-called "Mansions". We could set up a list of estates/roads/apartments/etc and try to see if there is any uniformity in valuations. The list of selling prices shown on the property register might give some idea, but with prices varying so much it would be nice to help one another get it right.

Just organise a residents association GM and agree a valuation for all houses in your estate. Bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Charlesland crescent apartmenta as of 4pm today are only worth €50k each.
    Houses are only worth €55k in charlesland

yes, the property tax that will result in a fire sale of properties like this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2243564/Firesale-Hamptons-estates-owners-try-unload-multimillion-dollar-homes-years-end.html

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

I reckon a three bed Duplex in Charlesland is worth 150 -200k?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Getting a bit ahead of ourselves here..

The Property Tax isn't payable until 1/7/2013, and in the meantime, the revenue will be issuing guidelines on the valuation of property across the country

Self Assessment is due to be completed in May 2013, so lets see what the Revenue say before jumping the gun..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Charlesland crescent apartmenta as of 4pm today are only worth €50k each.
    Houses are only worth €55k in charlesland

yes, the property tax that will result in a fire sale of properties like this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2243564/Firesale-Hamptons-estates-owners-try-unload-multimillion-dollar-homes-years-end.html

Where did you get this figure? A house in Charlesland Wood just sold for 190,000. I guess you're being tongue in cheek?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

There is no harm in being prepared, as Vinpaul and Blandpebbles suggest. It is not like anything is carved in stone yet by anyone.

Rasmus wrote: »
    Where did you get this figure? A house in Charlesland Wood just sold for 190,000. I guess you're being tongue in cheek?
    joking, but if everyone agrees in charlesland that their houses are worth less they will find it hard to charge us more!!!!

i live in an apartment, i haven't seen an apartment sell in charlesland for years, so its feasible to say that my apartment is worth nothing because i don't believe anyone in their right mind would ever buy an apartment in this country again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

joking, but if everyone agrees in charlesland that their houses are worth less they will find it hard to charge us more!!!!

i live in an apartment, i haven't seen an apartment sell in charlesland for years, so its feasible to say that my apartment is worth nothing because i don't believe anyone in their right mind would ever buy an apartment in this country again.

Can you just 'value' the house yourself? I don't know how it works. An apartment sold in the Grove for 120,000 this year. Before that, a house sold for 260,000. This is a great difference so how would uniformity be in the best interests for all in the estate?

yeah its self valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hannabanana

@ Matt Dublin, if you have a look on the property price register you will see that at least 3 apartments were sold in Seabourne View in 2012. Granted that's not a lot and not for huge amounts of money, but it's a bit silly to say that 'no apartments have been sold in years'.
    And anyway, what's wrong with buying / living in apartments?!

• Advertisement

trying to get us lower property tax here folks not having an arguement about what our houses are worth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

@ Matt Dublin, if you have a look on the property price register you will see that at least 3 apartments were sold in Seabourne View in 2012. Granted that's not a lot and not for huge amounts of money, but it's a bit silly to say that 'no apartments have been sold in years'.
    And anyway, what's wrong with buying / living in apartments?!

Apartments are fine in city centres, but pointless anywhere else.

In a few years, houses and apartments built between 1996-2008 will be avoided in comparison to what came before. Also i believe far in the future, when development does happen again in ireland, apartments in cities will be larger, and houses wont sit on postage stamps.

If you were looking for a house today, would you buy a boom time built property, or an older house with a proper garden?

I know people will point out better insulation etc etc, but you can always change the fabric of a home. You cannot change the fact that a small site has been over developed.

Probably not best to say this on the charlesland forum though:pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Apartments are fine in city centres, but pointless anywhere else.

In a few years, houses and apartments built between 1996-2008 will be avoided in comparison to what came before. Also i believe far in the future, when development does happen again in ireland, apartments in cities will be larger, and houses wont sit on postage stamps.

If you were looking for a house today, would you buy a boom time built property, or an older house with a proper garden?

I know people will point out better insulation etc etc, but you can always change the fabric of a home. You cannot change the fact that a small site has been over developed.

Probably not best to say this on the charlesland forum though:pac:
    +1
    It will be interesting to see what happens with the property tax. Owning a very small home (apartment or house) may result in a much reduced rate. Time will tell.

A modern home is not necessarily well insulated. My house was built by Durkans (who are responsible for much of Charlesland) and I have had to spend considerable time, effort and money finishing the insulation job that they only started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Greystones CAHWT

Hi there, I wonder if a member/organiser of the Charlesland Residents' Association might message me privately, please? Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

I don't know if there is a residents association, each estate has a management company though and the owners are automatically members.

Thanks youknowwho. I met a couple of guys last year who said they were members of the residents' association but unfortunately, I've mislaid their numbers and I'm hoping to speak to someone from the group. Perhaps it's no longer in existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Most 2-beds in Charlesland 150k - €200k for the "Fine Gael - Labour fund the Fianna Fail banks, developers and wealthy bondholder appeal" AKA Property Tax :mad:

https://lpt.revenue.ie/lpt-web/valuation-guide/index.htm

That's €315 charge per annum, for eh, NOTHING! on top of management fees...

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/liability.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Honestly! wrote: »
    That's €315 charge per annum, for eh, NOTHING! on top of management fees...
    Yes, on top of many bills such as electricity, gas, and management fees all of which have nothing to do with property tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Is this for real or am I missing something. The only information you are asked for:
    -The type of property (vague - not sure how much this can be linked to a value of property)
    -The year it was built (vague - are pre 2000 properties inherently less valuable?)
    -The location - this can be a good indicator, but by the looks of the map they have sectioned off large chunks of land.

A 4 bed 1600sq foot semi-detached house in Charlesland is in the same range as an 800 sq foot 2 bed semi-detached house in Newcastle?

There's got to be more to it than that surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

poldebruin wrote: »
    Is this for real or am I missing something.

There's got to be more to it than that surely?

I guess it is for real... just not very accurate. Looking at the property price register for house sales in my own estate in 2012 and comparing that to the Greystones info on the Revenue site, I'd say their site is two whole bands (so 100 grand) under a fair valuation of my property.

I'll be very tempted to take the Revenue's site as the basis on which I pay the tax.... can't really see why I wouldn't to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Surely this can't be accurate, doesn't ask for size of house, land or anything else apart from type of property, year it was built & location which doesn't seem to matter as everything in the area seems to be getting the same valuation. 200,000 - 250,000.
    Seriously though, they will have to come up with something better than this. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Thanks youknowwho. I met a couple of guys last year who said they were members of the residents' association but unfortunately, I've mislaid their numbers and I'm hoping to speak to someone from the group. Perhaps it's no longer in existence.

Maybe try @charleslandnews on twitter?

Maybe try @charleslandnews on twitter?

Thanks very much, Steve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Also noted that we now live in Charlesland, Kilcoole as per the revenue guidelines, am I missing something or did we get new addresses??

LMC wrote: »
    Also noted that we now live in Charlesland, Kilcoole as per the revenue guidelines, am I missing something or did we get new addresses??

Much of a muchness really.
    I agree with revenue, I would not consider Charlesland to be in Greystones.
    This position reduces the liability :)

Depending on where you are in Charlesland you may be closer to Kilcoole than Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Now we only have water charges to go yippee:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

In my opinion this new Revenue website is less than useless in it's current form. Until the add categories to precisely define the type of property e.g. number of bedrooms, bathrooms, floor space etc etc etc etc etc it will remain so.
    I assume Revenue rushed to get the site on line and will address the shortcomings later. I am very disappointed with the current effort as it is not what one would expect from Revenue who are the leaders in Government use of technology.
    Revenue have warned that this is a self assessment tax, so they are not responsible for the valuation of individual properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Cerco wrote: »
    I assume Revenue rushed to get the site on line and will address the shortcomings later. I am very disappointed with the current effort as it is not what one would expect from Revenue who are the leaders in Government use of technology.

They can have the best IT system in the world, but if the information isn't behind it, then it's no good. There simply is no source for the information they need.

Only true way to get a proper valuation is to get a professional out to value it, and the Government aren't going to pay for that. A guy from daft.ie on Morning Ireland this morning was all but touting for that gig, where the cost would be at the homeowner's expense of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

The price of materials to build 2/3 or 4 bed house in Charlesland, labour cost and nominal land value = property valuation. In todays climate they are between €50, 001 and €99, 000 (depends on size) no matter what size of property in Charlesland.
    Revenue cannot object that. Checked in many other EU countries.

Ps: I won't engage in passive conversation where someone tries to tell me that they are worth more.

Put some gold/platinum coatings on the fittings and then properties in Charlesland may have increase in value. As at today they are not.

During the "Boom" times in 2006/2007/2008
    2/3 bed houses in Charlesland were valued between €100, 000-180, 000 for the purpose of insurance and getting building rebuild if damaged by fire, these were the valuations made by banks: Bank of Ireland, Ulster Bank, Permanent TSB, AIB.

According to IMF and Irish Central Bank the prices of properties have fallen on avg ~41% thus the original valuations may need to be adjusted at least by that %.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

tp25 wrote: »
    The price of materials to build 2/3 or 4 bed house in Charlesland, labour cost and nominal land value = property valuation. In todays climate they are between €50, 001 and €99, 000 (depends on size) no matter what size of property in Charlesland.
    Revenue cannot object that. Checked in many other EU countries.

Ps: I won't engage in passive conversation where someone tries to tell me that they are worth more.

Put some gold/platinum coatings on the fittings and then properties in Charlesland may have increase in value. As at today they are not.
    I think you are confusing property market value with build cost.
    Are you suggesting that it is possible to build a 4 bedroom house including site value, materials and labour and associated fees and build it to comply with the current building regulations and have it complete for 100k?

Advertisement